PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchboogie3

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I was just messing around with a couple online NFL QB Rating calculators when I realized this: There's a cutoff point where INTs no longer effect QB Rating.
Example: Assuming 20/30, 250 yards, 4TD
3 INTs = 104 QB Rating
4 INTs = 92.3 QB Rating
5+ INts = 92.3 QB Rating

According to the calculation, a QB could throw 20 INTs in a game, but so long as is 20 of 30 for 250 yards and 3TD, he will still have a 92.3 QB Rating.

How has no one realized this GIGANTIC Flaw.

So I was just messing around with a couple online NFL QB Rating calculators when I realized this: There's a cutoff point where INTs no longer effect QB Rating.
3 INTs = 104 QB Rating
4 INTs = 92.3 QB Rating
5+ INts = 92.3 QB Rating

According to the calculation, a QB could throw 20 INTs in a game, but so long as is 20 of 30 for 250 yards and 3TD, he will still have a 92.3 QB Rating.

Not the only one; it also places caps on TD%, completion %, and YPA (e.g., on 30 passes, once you throw four TDs, you don't get any extra benefit for throwing 5+ TDs).

3 INTs = 104 QB Rating
4 INTs = 92.3 QB Rating
5+ INts = 92.3 QB Rating

You have too much time on your hands :D

There are plenty of flaws with the current QB Rating model. First and foremost, the emphasis on INTs should be much higher. According to every statistical model for predicting success/failure of a team, interceptions (and turnovers) are easily the most important factors. TD passes is overrated and is basically just another way of giving credit for completion pct. and yards/att., although it just shows the QB is effective on a short field.

That is why I would take TB's '10 season over '07.

I kind of understand the upper echelon (158.3 highest QB Rating), although I don't agree with it, but why on earth have a random limiter on individual stats? As with the upper limit, I could understand not being able to go below 0 or something, but it's 92.3 for crying out loud.

In the day of sabermetrics, maybe it's time to revise the QB rating formula and get rid of the limits. Why should 2 QBs both get a 158.3 rating when one played a better game. Why should 2 QBs both get the same rating when one was good and the other awful? Makes no sense.

They shouldn't cap INT%, that's about the only flaw I see with passer rating.

It takes into account TD%, INT%, completion % and yards per attempt. Those are, without a doubt, the most important stats to judge a QB's play. It merits efficiency in contrast to volume, which is fantastic. It's a pretty good indicator, actually, I never understood why people always had so many problems with it.

Of course it's flawed, just like any other statistic is when you use it as the only basis to get to a certain conclusion.

Well, it's OK. The glitch would only affect Favre and Eli. :D

Passer rating is a convoluted stat to say the least.

It has four components.

Based on comp/att, yards/att, td/att and int/att. It maxes out at 77.5% completion rate, at 12.5 yards per attempt, a touchdown on 11.875% of attempts.

Ints stop hurting you once you reach a threshold of one per 10.526 per attempt.

Well, it's OK. The glitch would only affect Favre and Eli. :D

:rofl: Beat me to it. But don't forget Sanchize. He's still young, still plenty of time to max out the INTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes