PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB Patrick Ramsey deciding between NE and TEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: QB Patrick Ramsay deciding between NE and Ten

Yeah, Garcia has always been a pretty good QB. He just can't seem to stay with one team for very long. I'd love to have him as a backup with the Pats.

I think now his age is a concern.

I do think that he is pretty good though.

I'm sure JSN knows all about his CFL legacy...

Dave ****inson is the still the schitt in my state.

I think now his age is a concern.

I do think that he is pretty good though.

I'm sure JSN knows all about his CFL legacy...

Dave ****inson is the still the schitt in my state.

That's like me assuming you know Bill, the American... ok, I hyperoboled...

That said:

Garcia was a standout quarterback while attending Gavilan College and San Jose State. He started his professional career in Calgary with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. He won a place on Calgary's roster as their third string quarterback behind Doug Flutie and Steve Taylor when he threw two fourth quarter touchdowns in his exhibition game appearance in 1994. Soon he was named backup to Doug Flutie. Garcia took over as starter in 1995 when Flutie was sidelined midway through the season with an elbow injury. In his second start filling in for Flutie, Garcia set a team record with 546 passing yards and 6 touchdown passes in the Labour Day game against Edmonton touching off an eventual quarterback controversy among some fans when Flutie later returned. Flutie ended up starting over Garcia in the Grey Cup that year which the Stampeders lost. After Flutie signed as a free-agent with the Toronto Argonauts in 1996, Garcia took over as the Stampeders' starting quarterback. During Garcia's three years as starter, the Stampeders finished with records of 13-5, 10-8, and 12-6.

In 1997, Garcia won the Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy, an award given to the Most Outstanding Player in the CFL Western Division. Garcia led the Stampeders to the Western Final in 1996 and to the Western Semi-Final in 1997. In 1998, he led the team to a Grey Cup victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and was named Grey Cup MVP. Garcia's memorable performance included an 80-yard, game-ending drive to set up the game winning field goal on the last play of the game. Garcia was also named as the 1998 CFL All-Star at quarterback.

You're 2 cents aren't worth sh*t. You're simply wrong. And you ARE a ******.

Is this Obama posting here under a pseudonym?

And if he did it'd come from the fact he had some background in similar systems. I want Gutierrez to do well, as he's the younger QB, but he's already been cut once before because of a weak arm. Ramsey definitely has a stronger arm.

How many times has Ramsey been cut (or released or benched) on teams desperate for anything resembling a functional QB? And Gutz wasn't cut because he has a weak arm, more like a weak...ness in his decision making process. It's not about arm strength at this level. They all have it sufficiently, even old noodle has enough, it's the brains to master the game at NFL speed and make good decisions quickly that seperates the men from the boys.

On the internet on the other hand it's calling others ******s that underscores the seperation.

And while it generally talkes more than being single to land a bunny, it takes $$$$, but little else.

And for the record, unless O'Connell is a bonefide bust, it would take more draft picks than Josh has to land him this season. He's worth more to Bill on the roster. He's the #2 backup to Tom Freakin' Brady heading into camp...

Last edited:
For Ramsey to have options must be like hitting the lotto for him. I'm assuming he would rather pick NE (if the money is the same) since he would have to battle O'Connell here instead of Vince Young.

How many times has Ramsey been cut (or released or benched) on teams desperate for anything resembling a functional QB? And Gutz wasn't cut because he has a weak arm, more like a weak...ness in his decision making process. It's not about arm strength at this level. They all have it sufficiently, even old noodle has enough, it's the brains to master the game at NFL speed and make good decisions quickly that seperates the men from the boys.

During the preseason I saw a QB that was making decent decisions and leading extended drives, only to have a set of downs stall when Gutierrez floated a skinny post or put so much air under an out route the CB or a LB stepped in front of it.

If the OP can be believed, apparently there is some interest in Ramsey from New England. Given his pedigree I can see why. If he were signed I would not be shocked if he became the emergency QB.

That's like me assuming you know Bill, the American... ok, I hyperoboled...

That said:

Is hyperoboled an actual word? I mean, if it isn't, it oughtta be.. :)

Is hyperoboled an actual word? I mean, if it isn't, it oughtta be.. :)
It's a new term, quite popular in Ontario for describing a personally embarrassing episode involving KY products and icicles.

During the preseason I saw a QB that was making decent decisions and leading extended drives, only to have a set of downs stall when Gutierrez floated a skinny post or put so much air under an out route the CB or a LB stepped in front of it.

If the OP can be believed, apparently there is some interest in Ramsey from New England. Given his pedigree I can see why. If he were signed I would not be shocked if he became the emergency QB.

I guess we saw different things. I saw a QB who was spooked by the roster numbers trying to salvage broken plays to prove a point to the coaching staff they weren't looking for him to prove. He also got his shoulder/elbow hurt which cost him some practice reps and he again tried to overcompensate for that. What all that effort got him was cut. Without an invite to the PS. That was a message. So was re-signing him to it after Brady went down. If he couldn't make the throws they wouldn't have bothered.

What BB is looking for here is someone who fully grasps and can run the system. He's not looking for someone determined to bail it out (and bail out of it) when others aren't executing in pre season. If the Matt Cassel experience taught folks here nothing else it should have taught them that. We knew Matt could run if we paid attention in years 1-3. That we'd seen less and less of it over time was by design. It's a last resort in real game situations when the W matters. He wants guys like Brady, the ones you can trust not to lose their minds under pressure and revert to raw rookie form. Guys who can remain patient while the OC figures a defense or substitution out. A guy who doesn't get so frustrated he makes really stupid and costly mistakes before you can. Matt Cassel was one of those guys. Even though most here thought he was destined for Walmart...

Ramsey may get a shot here at bumping Gutierrez to the curb. If he does it won't be because of arm strength, it will be because he's more poised and has a better grasp of the playbook and can execute within it's confines under pressure. He could also upset KOC's applecart but that would represent a substantial miscalculation on Josh's part about this kids intangibles. He's more raw than any QB we've had on the roster in some time, but with two full offseasons and a full season as #2 under his belt he should be a lot more polished and consistent this season. And he should have a darn good grasp of the playbook. So if someone like Ramsey, a failed #1 and a failed #2 who couldn't kick Noodle to the curb, and the one time he replaced Crybaby he ended up on IR after 3 attempts, passes KOC on the depth chart he's on the fast track to jagland himself.

Nothing is a given here beyond TFB, but the #2 and #3 slots are Kevin and Gutz to loose.

Last edited:
I prefer to stick with Gutiierrez, lived in DC in Ramsey's time, he can throw the ball but is battered goods. What do I know, I wanted to cut Cassel and play Gutierrez? Do not pay any attention to me however, if Bill signs him, I'm on board. Our free agent QB signings don't work out to well. I thought Redman would be good, nada.

It's a new term, quite popular in Ontario for describing a personally embarrassing episode involving KY products and icicles.

:D:D:D:D:

Thanks god I am a Maritimer:p:p:p

I really thought that Kerry Joseph might get a shot in the NFL after his great 2007 season. Thank god he did not because 2008 was a complete disappointment.

My best friend plays for the BC Lions and said that ****inson is the best QB he has ever played with or against. His age and history with concussions has him as a backup right now but he is a great football guy.

Here is a name that you might remember from his college days, Henry Burris who had another great season in.....Calgary (Flutie and Garcia both started their CFL careers their). He was the Grey Cup MVP and I think would be an older guy who might want to take a chance at the NFL now that he conquered the CFL??

If all else fails Michael Bishop is still kicking around up here maybe it is time for his second go around with the Patriots:D:D:D

There have to be a few teams for whom Leftwich and Garcia would be an upgrade over their starter (like the Bears).

But the Bears think that Kyle Orton is the ANSWER! :rolleyes: I'll never get it why year after year teams like the Bears and Vikings stick with the Tavaris Jackson, Orton/Grossmans of the world when they could have just got a real QB like Cassel and had a real shot at winning in the postseason.

He'd #3 wherever he goes.

Unless NE plans on getting rid of O'Connell, he has the same situation here as in Tenn.

If Brady goes down, it'll be O'Connell coming in, not Ramsey.

My guess is Ramsey would be for TC purposes (usually 4 QBs in TC) and then cut for the shadow roster.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it would be an open competition. I wouldn't rule O'Connell out due to the fact that Belichick went with Brady in only his second season. However, if you recall that training camp, Brady only moved ahead of Damon Huard on the depth chart late in camp. I think it would be an open competition for the second spot, and I think Ramsey would win it.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it would be an open competition. I wouldn't rule O'Connell out due to the fact that Belichick went with Brady in only his second season. However, if you recall that training camp, Brady only moved ahead of Damon Huard on the depth chart late in camp. I think it would be an open competition for the second spot, and I think Ramsey would win it.
Well, that's the thing. It is a lot easier for a young gun to move ahead of the old dog than the other way around.

THe vet is what he is, not likey to improve by leaps and bounds after 5+ years in the league.

But the youngster is still feeling his way around the NFL. He is not likely to go backwards and has potential to improve, especially his sophomore year, as did Brady.

But IIRC, Brady was the best QB from mini-camp on. He not only outplayed Huard throughout TC, he outplayed Bledsoe. He really improved over his first off-season.

Kliff Kingsbury, OTOH, improved not a bit his off-season. I hope that O'Connell is more motivated than Kingsbury was. If so, Ramsey or any other vet will not catch him.

But yes, I over-stated to say Ramsey would definately would be #3. I should have said that barring a combination of collapse by O'Connell and Ramsey getting bit by a radioactive spider, it will be O'Connell #2 and Gute/Ramsey/UDFA as #3.

Don't foreget, rookie KOC was good enough to be #2 last year. SOphomore KOC should be better than rookie KOC.

Last edited:

Before that open competition can even be presumed to be a possibility, Ramsey has to get an actual contract offer from the NEP... So far I'd say he remains well behind either KOC or Gutierrez on the depth chart...

When I heard Ramsey was considering the Pats and Titans, I thought the Pats might be his choice because he would be 2nd in the depth chart, but after reading some responces, I think he would be 3rd on the choice with O'Connell.

He has more chance with the Pats because I could never see him getting ahead of Vince Young in Tennessee.

But the Bears think that Kyle Orton is the ANSWER! :rolleyes: I'll never get it why year after year teams like the Bears and Vikings stick with the Tavaris Jackson, Orton/Grossmans of the world when they could have just got a real QB like Cassel and had a real shot at winning in the postseason.

let's take it easy on the cassel kool-aid until he plays a season away from new england.
I remember a time when everybody in chicago was yammering for sexy rexy as mvp, too.

it's easy to take shots at chicago, and I'm usually first in line, but I actually like the way the handled the grossman thing, and orton's looked good in his share of games considering what he has to work with.
it's not that easy to find the next brady --- how's leinart working out for arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back