Welcome to PatsFans.com

QB Criteria

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AzPatsFan, Aug 16, 2006.

1. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 10 / -8

I have been reading the some what disparaging remarks by one and all at Matt Cassel's performance in the Falcons game.

His statistics were pretty good. 13/26 229 yds 1TD 0 INTs and a 93.3 QB rating.

What more do y'all want from a second year BACKUP QB?

He admitted he missed a couple of early throws, but the new season butterfly's quickly passed, and he settled down. As a scout, I thought he threw the ball well, had ample arm strength, scrambled for positive yardage when necessary. He looked for the pass before turning to the run. More importantly he had P-O-I-S-E out there, team command, and produced a tying score in the fourth quarter. IMHO, he cemented his hold on the #2 QB position; yet others want an import.

Again I ask, What is wrong with that performance from a #2 QB?
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think it's because everyone was strongly influenced by the bad start and also takes the later production with more of a grain of salt as it was against lesser players - but also, of course, with lesser teamates. He actually played pretty well be just missed some WR really badly early.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Did you SEE the game? "Poise" isn't the word I would attach to that performance. That was some of the fastest, happiest feet I saw this side of Dagwood Bumstead (too bad the rest of his body isn't as fast or he would've broken off a few long ones). There were several plays where he flat out panicked and ran with the ball without any D pressuring him. It was eery to watch.

The fact that he completed a few in the waning minutes with WalMart employees manning the ATL secondary didn't prove a thing. 57 of those yards came on a dump off to Cobbs who used TREMENDOUS team downfield blocks (that was a thing of beauty which very few have commented on) to go all the way for that "Touchdown Pass".

The stats don't tell this story. That's for Remix6 and KC Joyner.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  4. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

You CAN'T dangle that set up line for the sharks here on this board, can you?????????????
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 5 / -8

Really, WalMart's not bad against the pass. It's their porous run D that gets them in trouble.

But I do think we have one ugly embarassing game here, on the part of a guy who just plain never sees action. If we see this sort of stupidity again this week, well, then we have something to worry about. But I predict a night-and-day turnaround for Cassel this week.

PFnV
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  6. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I agree 100% with that. It was just one bad game and I think Cassel is better than that. I was just answering the "stat" argument that he had a decent game.

One game shouldn't make a decision. That goes for everyone enshrining Patrick Cobb, Pierre Woods, etc. while cutting Monty Beisel, Matt Cassel or Reche Caldwell.
  7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Patience is not a virtue with most fans, except us homers.

However, if I don't see some improvement this week, I'll be calling for the team to sign a vet QB.

I do remember many fans thinking Michael Bishop was great on the basis of his preseason games. So, I'm not going to throw Cassel under the bus on the basis of one preseason game.
  8. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I think the difference is that AzPatsFan watched both halves, maybe? People are attributing the whole game to the second quarter and blowing off the last half as not counting because he was playing with backups.

But the main issue was with him missing wide open receivers. How does playing with and against other players affect missing wide open players.

Anyway, it's too early to go off the deep end. Last year when he did well, all the doom and gloomers said, "It's only a couple of preseason games, means nothing." Now on the basis on one quarter, you guys are suddenly onboard with judging a career based on the first throws of a season.

Guess the rules change based on pre-conceived judgements....

I thought the only real issue he had was running at improper times. I think that might be coachable.
  9. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 65 / -56

#87 Jersey

As far as a backup, he has impressed me more that Davey, Klingsbury, and any other backup since Brady, can anyone compare Brady's (and Davey's & Klingsbury's) 2000 & 2001 preseason stats vs Cassel's so far ? I haven't been able to find preseaon stats.
  10. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Part of the disparagement most likely has to do with the negative reports about his performance in camp.
  11. Drewwho

Drewwho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

QB Criteria:

1. Be handsome
    2. Do not be unattractive
    3. Be attractive

Brady = fits all of the above
    Cassel = Howdy Dowdy with a few more freckles!
  12. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

I've yet to see him drop kick an extra point.
  13. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Obviously, you didn't read my other post that was put up an hour and a half before your charge of "pre-conceived judgements":

One game shouldn't make a decision. That goes for everyone enshrining Patrick Cobb, Pierre Woods, etc. while cutting Monty Beisel, Matt Cassel or Reche Caldwell."

That's OK. I don't read every single post in a thread either. But I did want to set the record straight.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  14. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

Gorin guarding your blindside isn't conducive to good QB play.
  15. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

It depends on your expectations.
    Under Cassell during the first half the offense was impotent, all while we ran the ball well. He couldnt complete a pass to save his life.
    He did some good things, primarily against scrubs, bouncedback from a terrible first half to make some plays, and got a nice long run off a screen to get the stats you want to judge him on.
    If your standards are you expect nothing from him so any good play is great, then be happy. If your standards are he needs to be ready to step in for Brady and run this offense against a starting NFL defense, last Fridays game was evidence he is not close to ready.
    The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, but its important to note that all reports say Cassell mentally is fit for the job, and his total lack of experience says that every opportunity he gets will better prepare him if he needs to play.
    It is just a very, very longshot to expect a guy who never played in college, and played just a few pre-season games (where his decision making consisted of his second receiver being taking off and running) that he has anywhere near the game speed experience to make solid decisions. This preseason is very important to him, and quite frankly success vs scrubs is actually important, because the decisin making needs to be learned.