PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Q on Tom’s interception and pass interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faulk made the first down on 4th and 1 in Indy....

oh...wait...got my seasons mixed up...must be a time warp...

dizzy-black-white-animated-31000.gif

Technically you're absolutely right: in your hypothetical situation, DPI would be the call. I'm simply wondering when the last time you saw a 3 yard penalty was. :)

A better example than the 3-yard drag is when a running back leaks through the line of scrimmage off a run fake and sits down as the dump-off option in the middle of the field. As this running back is often stationary and no throwing lanes are created for him the ball does not reach him with much zip, lofted over the line by a harassed QB. He therefore is an inviting target to knock to the ground (a la Edelman) for the linebacker that would normally be expected to cover him, if rules permitted of course.

Lawfirm actually ran this kind of route in the Miami game and was thrown to; unfortunately Brady lofted him a popup he couldn't get under.

Not trying to pick on you, just explaining the reasons the rule is like that.

I thought about that situation while I was writing one of my earlier posts. It's what got me thinking about why there are so few DPI calls close to the line of scrimmage.

Ya, I had the same thoughts (ball in the air). I was surprised that Brady didn't just throw the ball into the ground with the night he was having. He usually recognizes things like that more quickly. I know this isn't what you're talking about, but PI or not, it was Brady's fault.

I thought about that situation while I was writing one of my earlier posts. It's what got me thinking about why there are so few DPI calls close to the line of scrimmage.

In the cluster**** of the line of scrimmage a lot things get waved off as "inadvertent contact." The contact is rarely inadvertent but the intent sometimes is murky. Like a linebacker tackling a running back off a ball fake he may have thought had the ball.

In my mind's eye I can see Philip Rivers screaming about a Pats lineman tackling Darren Sproles like this, but I don't remember which game or even what year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes