Pyper's Post Game Analysis - NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I liked what I saw out there tonight.

Positives:
1) Hoyer showed a lot of poise tonight. He struggled early against the Giants #1 but once he found his rhythm he was practically Brady like. Actually, he kind of reminds me of Chad Pennington. His ball doesn't have the zip that Brady's does but he seems to have all the intangibles. There were a number of throws where the pass rush was all around him and he stepped up in the pocket and delivered an excellent throw. I'm starting to wonder if KOC's release might have had more to do with Hoyer's development than his own shortcomings. In any case, Hoyer did what he needed to do to garner consideration for the 53 man roster and may even challenge Walter for the #2 spot at some point this season although that would still seem to be a bit unlikely.

2) BJGE: It's awfully hard not to like this guy. The Maroney vs BJGE debate will rage on. I'll try to clarify my thoughts on the matter since some clown took a poorly worded comment I made in a post last week out of context and thought it clever to put it as his signature. Seriously...Who does that??? Anyhow I digress. Here's my point. While Maroney likely possesses the greater talent and the more established track record, the issue here is "STYLE" and who's style is more conducive to help the team. I would argue that a "lesser" talent with a superior style might be a better fit than the opposite. Hopefully BB can find a way to keep them both as I'm sure they both can help us. I like Maroney returning kicks and in the passing game. He's excellent in the open field. Faulk is getting up there in years so perhaps it's time we started grooming him to take over that role when Faulk's days are over.

3) Receivers: Aiken and Nun had excellent games. Aiken is vastly underrated by most as a receiver but he's been a reliable target every time he takes the field. He impressed me late last season and continues to do so. Despite Nun's effectiveness, he's caught in a numbers game and still has no shot unless the team pulls off the surprise move and cuts Galloway which wouldn't be completely shocking as he has yet to impress. I don't think the team will be able to keep Nun on the PS but we may have lucked out a bit as he appeared to tweak his ankle late in the game. I doubt its serious but I've already convinced myself that BB is going to place him on the PUP list which might be the best solution to the BJGE quandary as well.

4) Run defense: The Giants are as good a running team as we'll face this year and I was extremely impressed by how well our scrubs defended the running game. We got chewed up in the air but the DLine and LB'ers played the run very well. In particular I liked Ninkovich. Now, I don't have scouting tape and can't tell you how he performed on every play but I saw him set the edge very well on a couple of occasions against the ones.

Negatives:

1) The knee-jerk reaction would be to scream bloody murder over Chung's performance. In short, the kid had a very rough night. I believe he was victimized by Moss on all three of NY's TD's. However, on each of those plays he was essentially lined up 1on1 against Moss. Moss while not a great receiver, has some of that Branch/Welker quickness that can be tough to cover. I gotta believe that in a game situation BB wouldn't leave Chung, a safety, in 1on1 coverage out there. I think it's likely that BB did that in this game so that Chung could get some work on this area of his game. Chung is a guy who's at his best when he's facing the action. BB is trying to develop his weaknesses which mainly arise in coverage with his back to the action. As such I'm not sure I'd be so quick to get worried about him just yet. In real games, BB will make sure to utilize his strengths, not his weaknesses.

Summary:
I think we've got a strong team with a lot of depth and also a lot of question marks. It will be an entertaining season watching this team grow as they start providing the answers.

OT: Does anybody know what happened to Edelman? He seemed to have a huge role in that first game and I really haven't noticed him at all since then. Did he even play?

Last edited:
Re: Pyper's Postseason Game 4 Analysis

Chung was definitely doing things he wouldn't be asked to do in the regular season (at least until he develops more). Coming out of college he was thought to be awful in coverage, so it's not a surprise. Hopefully he can learn a few things and be more comfortable in that area next year

Positives:
1) Hoyer showed a lot of poise tonight. He struggled early against the Giants #1 but once he found his rhythm he was practically Brady like. Actually, he kind of reminds me of Chad Pennington. His ball doesn't have the zip that Brady's does but he seems to have all the intangibles. There were a number of throws where the pass rush was all around him and he stepped up in the pocket and delivered an excellent throw. I'm starting to wonder if KOC's release might have had more to do with Hoyer's development than his own shortcomings. In any case, Hoyer did what he needed to do to garner consideration for the 53 man roster and may even challenge Walter for the #2 spot at some point this season although that would still seem to be a bit unlikely.

2) BJGE: It's awfully hard not to like this guy. The Maroney vs BJGE debate will rage on. I'll try to clarify my thoughts on the matter since some clown took a poorly worded comment I made in a post last week out of context and thought it clever to put it as his signature. Seriously...Who does that??? Anyhow I digress. Here's my point. While Maroney likely possesses the greater talent and the more established track record, the issue here is "STYLE" and who's style is more conducive to help the team. I would argue that a "lesser" talent with a superior style might be a better fit than the opposite. Hopefully BB can find a way to keep them both as I'm sure they both can help us. I like Maroney returning kicks and in the passing game. He's excellent in the open field. Faulk is getting up there in years so perhaps it's time we started grooming him to take over that role when Faulk's days are over.

3) Receivers: Aiken and Nun had excellent games. Aiken is vastly underrated by most as a receiver but he's been a reliable target every time he takes the field. He impressed me late last season and continues to do so. Despite Nun's effectiveness, he's caught in a numbers game and still has no shot unless the team pulls off the surprise move and cuts Galloway which wouldn't be completely shocking as he has yet to impress. I don't think the team will be able to keep Nun on the PS but we may have lucked out a bit as he appeared to tweak his ankle late in the game. I doubt its serious but I've already convinced myself that BB is going to place him on the PUP list.

4) Run defense: The Giants are as good a running team as we'll face this year and I was extremely impressed by how well our scrubs defended the running game. We got chewed up in the air but the DLine and LB'ers played the run very well. In particular I liked Ninkovich. Now, I don't have scouting tape and can't tell you how he performed on every play but I saw him set the edge very well on a couple of occasions against the ones.

Negatives:

1) The knee-jerk reaction would be to scream bloody murder over Chung's performance. In short, the kid had a very rough night. I believe he was victimized by Moss on all three of NY's TD's. However, on each of those plays he was essentially lined up 1on1 against Moss. Moss while not a great receiver, has some of that Branch/Welker quickness that can be tough to cover. I gotta believe that in a game situation BB wouldn't leave Chung, a safety, in 1on1 coverage out there. I think it's likely that BB did that in this game so that Chung could get some work on this area of his game. Chung is a guy who's at his best when he's facing the action. BB is trying to develop his weakness. As such I'm not sure I'd be so quick to get worried about him just yet. In real games, BB will make sure to utilize his strengths, not his weaknesses.

Summary:
I think we've got a strong team with a lot of depth and also a lot of question marks. It will be an entertaining season watching this team grow as they start providing the answers.

OT: Does anybody know what happened to Edelman? He seemed to have a huge role in that first game and I really haven't noticed him at all since then. Did he even play?

If only BJGE wore #22 we could call him, Hoyer, and Aiken the backup version of the triplets...

Other positive news was that Pierre Woods had a 1.5 sack night.

Considering all the concern registered earlier, it was never even noticed apparently. As the Coaches have said, Woods can pass rush.

Terry Nunn is developing into an awful hard cut. Yet another UDFA to add to Belichick scouting Honor Roll.

Daryl Richard had a half a sack and participated in several tackles. He seems to play the run well.

Thanks Pyper!

A "Penny" QB playing for BB would be very competitive in the NFL, I'm looking forward to watching the NFLN replay.

Edelman was dinged up against Cincy, I believe he's just getting healthy for the regular season.

Considering all the concern registered earlier, it was never even noticed apparently. As the Coaches have said, Woods can pass rush.

One of these days, we'll have to dig up some of the old Pierre Woods threads and force the haters to eat some humble pie. Better to wait until he performs in the regular season, though (and he will).

One of these days, we'll have to dig up some of the old Pierre Woods threads and force the haters to eat some humble pie. Better to wait until he performs in the regular season, though (and he will).

I assume you mean eat some crow?

Crow is one of the main ingredients in humble pie, yes :p

lol

they're two separate dishes.

humble pie is what we what we eat to keep ourselves from getting overconfident. It keeps us focused on the act of improving and prevents us from resting on our laurels.

crow is what we feed the critics every time they're proven wrong.

);p

Nitpick: Nunn can't go on PUP. Once you've practiced, you no longer get credit for later being unfit to practice.

Nitpick: Nunn can't go on PUP. Once you've practiced, you no longer get credit for later being unfit to practice.

Yup- the only guys who can be PUPed are the ones who were PUPed at the beginning of camp. I know Crable and Warren are eligible, because I was specifically bummed out to see both of them on the list- don't remember who else off the top of my head.

Other positive news was that Pierre Woods had a 1.5 sack night.

Terry Nunn is developing into an awful hard cut. Yet another UDFA to add to Belichick scouting Honor Roll.

Daryl Richard had a half a sack and participated in several tackles. He seems to play the run well.

Woods looked to me like the best player on the defensive side of the ball. He made some nice tackles, got after the QB (positively blowing by the tackle on that half sack), and held his ground against the run.

I'm hoping Nunn has a place on STs with Slater's injury. His hands are outstanding. If he sticks around and learns to run patterns from this receiving corps, he could have a nice career. Receivers often get graded on speed, size, and quickness out of the cuts, but catching everything you touch is a pretty nice skill to have, too. With Aiken and Nunn's showing and ST ability, cutting Lewis or Galloway wouldn't hurt so much, but I'd still be surprised if it happened.

Thanks for starting the analysis thread Pyper. I gave myself a new signature in honor of it. :D

Last edited:

Woods looked to me like the best player on the defensive side of the ball. He made some nice tackles, got after the QB (positively blowing by the tackle on that half sack), and held his ground against the run.

I'm hoping Nunn has a place on STs with Slater's injury. His hands are outstanding. If he sticks around and learns to run patterns from this receiving corps, he could have a nice career. Receivers often get graded on speed, size, and quickness out of the cuts, but catching everything you touch is a pretty nice skill to have, too. With Aiken and Nunn's showing and ST ability, cutting Lewis or Galloway wouldn't hurt so much, but I'd still be surprised if it happened.

Thanks for starting the analysis thread Pyper. I gave myself a new signature in honor of it.

I agree....... I'm thinking (hoping) that with Slater's injury (which looked nasty), that if Slater gets sent to IR, that will open up a spot for Nunn.

Yup- the only guys who can be PUPed are the ones who were PUPed at the beginning of camp. I know Crable and Warren are eligible, because I was specifically bummed out to see both of them on the list- don't remember who else off the top of my head.

Once you come off PUP, you can't go back on, so Crable and Warren are not eligible. Crable is on the 53 or IR.

Nunn came back in after his injury, so it is roster or release. Galloway not playing would seem to indicate he is in, but Lewis is less clear.

The camera showed Edelman in uniform with his helmut off talking to a teammate. I don't believe he played.

1) I agree with the Pennington comparison for Hoyer. Given his limited arm strength, that's probably as high as his upside goes, but I'll take a Chad-clone as a backup for the next few years.

2) I agree with those who say it doesn't make sense to keep 5 running backs, but disagree when they say BJGE is a JAG. I think he makes the team, even if it's as the 5th RB because he's one of the best 53 football players. To cut him, would mean keeping true JAGs over him.

3) I think Nunn makes it to PS.

4) Ninkovich has done nothing as a pass-rusher (despite numerous opportunities) but has been surprisingly solid otherwise. He's a genuine bubble guy, but if Slater goes to IR he might survive.

As for Chung, he was definitely playing out of position - man to man against a wide receiver is his biggest weakness. However, he is more active in run support than any of their safeties.

Positives:

3) Receivers: Aiken and Nun had excellent games. Aiken is vastly underrated by most as a receiver but he's been a reliable target every time he takes the field. He impressed me late last season and continues to do so. Despite Nun's effectiveness, he's caught in a numbers game and still has no shot unless the team pulls off the surprise move and cuts Galloway which wouldn't be completely shocking as he has yet to impress. I don't think the team will be able to keep Nun on the PS but we may have lucked out a bit as he appeared to tweak his ankle late in the game. I doubt its serious but I've already convinced myself that BB is going to place him on the PUP list which might be the best solution to the BJGE quandary as well.

Negatives:

1) The knee-jerk reaction would be to scream bloody murder over Chung's performance. In short, the kid had a very rough night. I believe he was victimized by Moss on all three of NY's TD's. However, on each of those plays he was essentially lined up 1on1 against Moss. Moss while not a great receiver, has some of that Branch/Welker quickness that can be tough to cover. I gotta believe that in a game situation BB wouldn't leave Chung, a safety, in 1on1 coverage out there. I think it's likely that BB did that in this game so that Chung could get some work on this area of his game. Chung is a guy who's at his best when he's facing the action. BB is trying to develop his weaknesses which mainly arise in coverage with his back to the action. As such I'm not sure I'd be so quick to get worried about him just yet. In real games, BB will make sure to utilize his strengths, not his weaknesses.

Summary:

since some clown took a poorly worded comment I made in a post last week out of context and thought it clever to put it as his signature. Seriously...Who does that???

I think that the people who do that don't realize that they are making themselves look like much more of an idiot than the people they're quoting.

Last edited:
The knee-jerk reaction would be to scream bloody murder over Chung's performance. In short, the kid had a very rough night. I believe he was victimized by Moss on all three of NY's TD's. However, on each of those plays he was essentially lined up 1on1 against Moss. Moss while not a great receiver, has some of that Branch/Welker quickness that can be tough to cover. I gotta believe that in a game situation BB wouldn't leave Chung, a safety, in 1on1 coverage out there. I think it's likely that BB did that in this game so that Chung could get some work on this area of his game. Chung is a guy who's at his best when he's facing the action. BB is trying to develop his weaknesses which mainly arise in coverage with his back to the action. As such I'm not sure I'd be so quick to get worried about him just yet. In real games, BB will make sure to utilize his strengths, not his weaknesses.

Interesting thought. I hope you're right and I think you may just be. Good comments overall. Thanks.

Just BB hiding the diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey