Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Here's a letter I wrote to Mike Florio over at ProFootballTalk.com

Hey Mike,

Love your site. Long time reader.

I have a theory that I'd like to share with you and maybe get your input on.

A few weeks ago you wrote about Upshaw slamming the Patriots over their insistence that players sign five year deals. As you noted, it didn't make much sense for Upshaw to target the Patriots b/c they weren't the only or even the first franchise to do this. In fact it was Upshaw's very own Oakland Raiders that started the trend.

That got me thinking....Why would he specifically target New England with this criticism?

Fast forward to the recent Deion Branch situation. Agent @$$hole extraordinaire Jason Chayut, has orchestrated this entire mess by insisting that the fifth year of Branch's contract be voided out. The Patriots have offered fair market value contract extensions but thus far they have refused to completely erase the fifth year of Branch's rookie deal. As a result, Chayut has refused to negotiate with them.

From the team's perspective they can't erase the fifth year. If they did it for Branch then they'd also have to do it with Watson and all the other players who signed similar contracts. Considering how hard they had to negotiate with Watson and the others to get that fifth year, simply relinquishing it is not an option. Besides, all of those players received extra bonus money as compensation for signing for that extra year.

Anyhow, back to the issue at hand. Many agents obviously have a grudge against New England. I'm thinking that the reason why Upshaw specifically criticized the Patriots is b/c he has relationships with many of these guys and must have been privy to a discussion where the topic was discussed.

Further fueling this conspiracy theory is how these "Patriots Haters" have utilized long-time Patriots Hater and media fraud (W)ron(g) Borges to disseminate their propaganda. Despite numerous campaigns from Patriots Nation to remove "the Borg" from covering the Patriots, nothing has been done. In fact the more Patriots fans complain, the more air time Borges receives on television and radio. Indeed, resistance is futile.

So where does the actual conspiracy come in? First there's the part about each of the co-conspirators doing their part to cause chaos and turmoil for the team. This may range from taking advantage of one's position as an entrusted agent to manipulate the players for their own uses; to abusing one's position of employment and reporting and writing with the sole intention of creating dissension in the locker room. Each of these co-conspirators plays an important role.

The second part of the conspiracy involves the two grievances. I'm thinking that something must be in the works b/c the two grievances filed by Branch and his representatives are so OVER-THE-TOP-RIDICULOUS that they must have something up their sleeves. I mean, they have no leg to stand on and in normal circumstances filing these grievances would NOT be worth the time it takes to pee during a television timeout. The Players Union should have told them as much. But they didn't.

The fact that the Players Union is led by one of the potential conspirators in Upshaw as well as the fact that the Players Union has decided to support these grievances indicates they must think they can win this one. The only way they could possibly win this one is if they have one of the arbitrators in their pocket.

Any reasonable minded half-way intelligent person would quickly dismiss this case on the grounds that the two grievances are possibly the two stupidest grievances ever filed.

We won't know until another week or so but if there really is some large conspiracy at work here, the hearing will prove it and all of New England will be in an OUTRAGE.

Take care,

);pyper

Last edited:
I am not completely dismissing your theory, as cooky as it may sound to some. After all, Borges and Upshaw are best buds from the time Borges was covering the Raiders in Oakland. Borges still cultivates an outlaw Raider-type image that hardly suits him, which leads him to ride motorcycles and punch out wheelchair-bound octogenarians while covering boxing matches. Borges has been carrying the contract water for various players for years, and he even thinks he is "close" to players like Ty Law, when the reality is they are only using him. I feel there is a possibility Chayut is trying to make a "cause-celebre" out of the Branch situation, and has enlisted the Union leadership, already eager to teach the Pats a lesson, on his side in an attempt to screw BB. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, it all comes back to the Snow Bowl (also known as the tuck game elsewhere)! Just shoot me now...

Last edited:
PYPER said:

Hey Mike,

A few weeks ago you wrote about Upshaw slamming the Patriots over their insistence that players sign five year deals. As you noted, it didn't make much sense for Upshaw to target the Patriots b/c they weren't the only or even the first franchise to do this. In fact it was Upshaw's very own Oakland Raiders that started the trend.

That got me thinking....Why would he specifically target New England with this criticism?

Fast forward to the recent Deion Branch situation. Agent @$$hole extraordinaire Jason Chayut, has orchestrated this entire mess by insisting that the fifth year of Branch's contract be voided out. The Patriots have offered fair market value contract extensions but thus far they have refused to completely erase the fifth year of Branch's rookie deal. As a result, Chayut has refused to negotiate with them.

From the team's perspective they can't erase the fifth year. If they did it for Branch then they'd also have to do it with Watson and all the other players who signed similar contracts. Considering how hard they had to negotiate with Watson and the others to get that fifth year, simply relinquishing it is not an option. Besides, all of those players received extra bonus money as compensation for signing for that extra year.

Anyhow, back to the issue at hand. Many agents obviously have a grudge against New England. I'm thinking that the reason why Upshaw specifically criticized the Patriots is b/c he has relationships with many of these guys and must have been privy to a discussion where the topic was discussed.

Further fueling this conspiracy theory is how these "Patriots Haters" have utilized long-time Patriots Hater and media fraud (W)ron(g) Borges to disseminate their propaganda. Despite numerous campaigns from Patriots Nation to remove "the Borg" from covering the Patriots, nothing has been done. In fact the more Patriots fans complain, the more air time Borges receives on television and radio. Indeed, resistance is futile.

So where does the actual conspiracy come in? First there's the part about each of the co-conspirators doing their part to cause chaos and turmoil for the team. This may range from taking advantage of one's position as an entrusted agent to manipulate the players for their own uses; to abusing one's position of employment and reporting and writing with the sole intention of creating dissension in the locker room. Each of these co-conspirators plays an important role.

The second part of the conspiracy involves the two grievances. I'm thinking that something must be in the works b/c the two grievances filed by Branch and his representatives are so OVER-THE-TOP-RIDICULOUS that they must have something up their sleeves. I mean, they have no leg to stand on and in normal circumstances filing these grievances would NOT be worth the time it takes to pee during a television timeout. The Players Union should have told them as much. But they didn't.

The fact that the Players Union is led by one of the potential conspirators in Upshaw as well as the fact that the Players Union has decided to support these grievances indicates they must think they can win this one. The only way they could possibly win this one is if they have one of the arbitrators in their pocket.

Any reasonable minded half-way intelligent person would quickly dismiss this case on the grounds that the two grievances are possibly the two stupidest grievances ever filed.

We won't know until another week or so but if there really is some large conspiracy at work here, the hearing will prove it and all of New England will be in an OUTRAGE.

Take care,

);pyper

Pyper I really think you have nailed it. I have said in a number of posts today, there are forces at work here that just do not make sense. Chayut is not that smart, he is being coached every step of the way. This may very well be it. I hope the Patriots have some media friends able to expose this sham for what it is.

A quick trade to Seattle would make for a bad day
for all of these people....Belichick is to smart and tough for
these sandbaggers...my guess is he has an ace up his sleeve as well.

PYPER said:

Hey Mike,

Take care,

);pyper

Great piece
Your signature quote is very cool as well.
We'll RISE ABOVE Pyper.
We''ll make it to the end.

Very well written piece.

Kessler (sp?) is the attorney that got the Terrell Owens trade to the Ravens negated a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes