PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting together my Patriots Big Board: Offensive Tackle

Good job.

One question though. You highlighted the Missouri game as one where DJ Humphries demonstrated he could handle speed rushers, but he gave up two sacks to Shane Ray in that game if memory serves. Seems to prove the opposite. Note. I'm not saying he ca't handle them, just that I'm not sure that game was a great example.

I've left Humphries off my board, not because I don't think he's good (I'm not sure what to make of him) but because I just don't see him at OG. Like you, I have Clemmings and Fisher high on my board because I do think they can do both.

Hey Manx,
Honestly, I don't remember off the top of my head. I have in my notes from December that just say, DJ making Ray look bad. I haven't had a chance to go back and my brain is too fried to remember anything specific from that game.
I agree, I don't think Humphries would be able to move inside, but I think he could play either tackle position and I think he checks off a lot of boxes the Patriots look for in a Tackle.
He made my list because I think there is an outside chance they could be looking ahead to the potential of Solder leaving.
Clemmings is obviously #1, but you bring up a good point and Fisher maybe should be higher because of his flexibility.

If CBs Johnson, Jones & Peters, and Cam Erving are all gone at 32, then my next option would be
Clemmings/Fisher as a 2015 LG/2016 LT candidate. If those 2 are also gone, then it's DE for me.
I also like Gibson as a late-round developmental prospect, and believe that some team will draft him
to prevent him from hitting the UDFA market. I wouldn't mind if that team is the NEP.

Good job.

One question though. You highlighted the Missouri game as one where DJ Humphries demonstrated he could handle speed rushers, but he gave up two sacks to Shane Ray in that game if memory serves. Seems to prove the opposite. Note. I'm not saying he ca't handle them, just that I'm not sure that game was a great example.

I've left Humphries off my board, not because I don't think he's good (I'm not sure what to make of him) but because I just don't see him at OG. Like you, I have Clemmings and Fisher high on my board because I do think they can do both.

Humphries handled Ray for all but 2 plays in that game which both went for sacks. In Humphries defense though, on both of those plays he forced Ray quite deep and Jeff Driskel just couldn't step up in the pocket (they were both excellent plays by Ray though). I think a better QB would have stepped up and avoided both of those sacks, although one of them definitely would have been called holding anyway.

Overall I think that was a positive game for Humphries because he kept one of the best pass rushers in college football in check for the majority of the game. Shane Ray also said Humphries was the best player he has gone up against.

Humphries handled Ray for all but 2 plays in that game which both went for sacks. In Humphries defense though, on both of those plays he forced Ray quite deep and Jeff Driskel just couldn't step up in the pocket (they were both excellent plays by Ray though). I think a better QB would have stepped up and avoided both of those sacks, although one of them definitely would have been called holding anyway.

Overall I think that was a positive game for Humphries because he kept one of the best pass rushers in college football in check for the majority of the game. Shane Ray also said Humphries was the best player he has gone up against.
Thank you Wilfork for remembering what my fried brain could not.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back