Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Patriots:

Offense: 36.8 ppg
Defense: 17.1 ppg

2014 Patriots Weeks 5-12:

Offense: 39.6 ppg
Defense: 19.6 ppg

One of the most dominant stretches in recent NFL history.

The 2010 team had a dominant 2nd half of the season. The 2007 team was dominant for most of the season. This stretch is right up there. What distinguishes it is the versatility and completeness - the team has been dominant in all 3 phases of the game, and in so many different ways.

Wonder how the SOS compares. I known in 07 we played a lot of playoff teams this year looks similar in SOS wise. Hope this team finishes it off with a SB win to the same place were Pats lost the game that should not be named

pretty special and fun to watch week after week

Oh, and for comparison:

2013 Donkeys (entire season):

Offense: 37.9 PPG
Defense: 24.9 PPG

And, just for shiggles, including playoffs:

Offense: 34.9 PPG
Defense: 25.0 PPG :p

The 2010 team had a dominant 2nd half of the season. The 2007 team was dominant for most of the season. This stretch is right up there. What distinguishes it is the versatility and completeness - the team has been dominant in all 3 phases of the game, and in so many different ways.
Also, the schedule. I don't think either of those teams had a stretch quite as challenging as this one.

Also, the schedule. I don't think either of those teams had a stretch quite as challenging as this one.

The 2010 team went 8-0 the second half of the season, and faced:

@ 6-2 and eventual SB runner up Pittsburgh (39-26)
vs. 6-3 Indy and Peyton Manning (31-28)
@ 2-8 Detroit on a short week for Thanksgiving (45-24)
vs. 9-2 Jets (45-3)
@ 9-3 Chicago (36-7); the Pats became the first team to have 5 consecutive games with 30+ points and 0 turnovers
vs. 8-5 and eventual SB champion GB (31-27)
@ 4-10 Buffalo (34-3)
vs. 7-8 Miami (38-7)

The Pats scored 30+ points in all 8 games, and won by an average of 37-15. Brady set a record for passes without an INT en route to his second MVP. Indy, the Jets, Pittsburgh, GB and Chicago all made the playoffs, and GB and the Steelers ended up in the SB.

That was a pretty impressive run against a very tough schedule. I think this team is more complete and balanced, but we shouldn't forget how impressive some of our team's past accomplishments were.

the level of competition as well. We've played a ton of tough teams. All big tests, and passed them with flying colors

The difference between NE 2014 and these and the 2014 DEN jackwads d'manningville is that NE, after taking a substantial 1H lead, takes the air out of the ball on offense and basically allows some scoring via a low reward, clock chopping funneling defense which also takes away offensive scoring. If this team went full-tilt for the first 55 minutes every game like DEN, these 2014 NE numbers would be mind boggling... but oh could you imagine how butt-hurt the talking heads would be for NE piling onto their hometown heroes 55-19 anew every week.

Oh, and for comparison:

2013 Donkeys (entire season):

Offense: 37.9 PPG
Defense: 24.9 PPG

Last edited:
the level of competition as well. We've played a ton of tough teams. All big tests, and passed them with flying colors

See post #7 above. I'll grant the team looks good, but so did the 2010 team, a prohibitive favorite, who got bounced in the divisional round.

All that matters is whether this team finishes the job in January and February.

See post #7 above. I'll grant the team looks good, but so did the 2010 team, a prohibitive favorite, who got bounced in the divisional round.

January and February the second half of the season

There may be a slight difference in the quality of capability of the 2014 D and the 2010 D.

No sacks yesterday... put that in perspective after playing a couple of pretty good D's on paper the Pats have allowed 14 sacks total...

The Lions defense has the bodies, but not the coaching...

Brady says the season doesn't even start until after Thanksgiving.

For me that's still the first season the only purpose is to get into the playoffs. The second season is the playoffs, this season is what it is all about. Anything can happen in the second season as we know.

There may be a slight difference in the quality of capability of the 2014 D and the 2010 D.

Of course, but some of that is retrospective knowledge. IIRC, the 2010 unit was a top 5 scoring D the last two months of the season. They looked every bit as good as this one, though this group has a few more guys you feel you know exactly what you'll get from week to week.

It should also be noted that NE had one healthy DT in that Jet game, and he was taken off suspension a few days prior (probably because he was the only healthy DT).

Last edited:
Of course, but some of those is retrospective knowledge. IIRC, the 2010 unit was a top 5 scoring D the last two months of the season. They looked every bit as good as this one, though this group has a few more guys you feel you know exactly what you'll get from week to week.

The 2010 team won their final 8 games by an average score of 37-15. In 4 of those 8 games they held their opponents to 7 or fewer points. But they did it primarily via a near-historical turnover ratio. This D is far deeper and more complete.

The 2010 team won their final 8 games by an average score of 37-15. In 4 of those 8 games they held their opponents to 7 or fewer points. But they did it primarily via a near-historical turnover ratio. This D is far deeper and more complete.

That's what did them in come playoff time too - they couldn't get the turnovers they'd come to rely on as fuel for the offense. I don't think this year's team needs those turnovers as much either as evidenced by yesterday's low turnover totals. I'd be interested the third down defense numbers of the two years.

I'll also add that this years' special teams coverage team and punt return team may be the best one they've EVER had. How many returns have been one block (or penalty) away from going the distance? Seems like one per game now (if not more).

Yeah that 2010 team was completely dominant in the 2nd half of the season, and that stretch included all the teams who made it to the 'final four' that year. Very impressive. I know that team had it's weaknesses but it always puzzled me how they were so dominant, against all the top teams down the stretch, compared to how they came out in that divisional playoff game. Because of that team, it's like I have a constant reminder each time we look this good in the regular season to wait until January to get truly excited.

That's what did them in come playoff time too - they couldn't get the turnovers they'd come to rely on as fuel for the offense. I don't think this year's team needs those turnovers as much either as evidenced by yesterday's low turnover totals. I'd be interested the third down defense numbers of the two years.

2014 3rd down: 57/139 = 41% (13th)
2014 4th down: 5/17 = 29% (6th)

2010 3rd down: 99/210 = 47% (32nd(!))
2010 4th down: 12/20 = 60% (24th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill