PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting the pieces in place before the draft, once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR: this amendola idea is starting to grow on me........not as a welker replacement, but as slot depth, and the guy does both punt returns and kick returns, also. I also believe the julian edelman experiment has run its course as he has regressed as a WR and we already have slater as an ST guy who is limited as a WR, and slater could still improve at the deep game.

amendola would help reduce wear and tear on welker, and in the event that welker is seeking 10M/yr, would give the pats a season with another guy who actually seems to have the potential to replace welker should welker decide to go elsewhere.

the pats would still need to seek out a #1/#2 such as brandon lloyd or a high draft pick to complete the stable.

One of the issues in last years season was the lack of experience and lack of communication in the secondary, so relying on the draft to fill those holes may impede the maturational process of the secondary and not make it better, losing Bodden was a huge blow to this team.

Perhaps 1 dreaftee could be absorbed, but there are still some guys on the board and June cuts are about 3 months away.. this is a work in progress.

I think the addition of gregory and perhaps landry would give the young corners what they need to stabilize things back there. I would love to be wrong about dowling and see him on the field the whole season as I do think he has the physical skills to be very good, but missing most of year one is somewhat of a death knell on this team. I think there is room for a guy like jason allen to be added.

And, what happens if McCourty has another season at CB like 2011?

Are you saying there is no way that he will play Safety for NE again? Up till now, Gregory has been depth.

Not saying the situations are identical, but so was Steelers!Vrabel. . . .

I think that Running Back needs to be addressed prior to the draft. As it stands today the Pats have Ridley (who never saw the field again after fumbling twice) as their starting RB. Woodhead (all 5'7 170 lbs of him) as Brady's protector and 3rd down back. The only other back is Vareen, who never saw the field period (nee, one drive in Philly).

If they want to bring back the Law firm, I'm fine with that. I would like to see the Pats take a run at Michael Bush. He has the same skills as BJGE, however, he has much great speed. Either way, I doubt that the Pats go into the season with just these three.

Last edited:
I also believe the julian edelman experiment has run its course as he has regressed as a WR

As I've said before, the problem is not that Edelman's regressed, but rather that he got muscled out by GRONKnandez and the Twig.

Case in point: in 2011 Brady threw 237 passes to GRONKnandez, and 90 to Branch (on top of 173(!) to Welker).

In 2009, Brady threw 60 passes total to Watson and Baker.

I think that Running Back needs to be addressed prior to the draft. As it stands today the Pats have Ridley (who never saw the field again after fumbling twice) as their starting RB. Woodhead (all 5'7 170 lbs of him) as Brady's protector and 3rd down back. The only other back is Vareen, who never saw the field period (nee, one drive in Philly).

If they want to bring back the Law firm, I'm fine with that. I would like to see the Pats take a run at Michael Bush. He has the same skills as BJGE, however, he has much great speed. Either way, I doubt that the Pats go into the season with just these three.

I think Vereen & Ridley are very promising all around backs, and we all know what Woodhead brings. I don't view this area as a huge priority even if law firm sets sail - we're really looking for depth not starters at RB.

Also, another poster stated that Dowling is an unknown, which I would disagree with. When he played he looked outstanding, the only question is whether he can get past his injury bug. I love our defensive backfield right now it they're all back + Dowling + Gregory.

WR is by far the biggest problem area we have. Please sign Lloyd.

As I've said before, the problem is not that Edelman's regressed, but rather that he got muscled out by GRONKnandez and the Twig.

Case in point: in 2011 Brady threw 237 passes to GRONKnandez, and 90 to Branch (on top of 173(!) to Welker).

In 2009, Brady threw 60 passes total to Watson and Baker.

they would not have leaned on welker so much if edelman could pick up more slack, but it appears that he can't

And, what happens if McCourty has another season at CB like 2011?

Then you'd better hope that Glass-IR Dowling stays healthy enough to line up with Arrington on the other side.

Are you saying there is no way that he will play Safety for NE again? Up till now, Gregory has been depth.

I'm saying what I said. The Patriots just signed Gregory and are still pursuing Landry. That doesn't seem as if McCourty is going to be a safety.

I think the plan should be trying to get McCourty back to his rookie form. Him being a lockdown corner helps us much more than being a marginal FS. We all have seen him do it, so we know it's in there somewhere. A full offseason and ota's, camp etc. Will hopefully get him back to where he needs to be. Having one side of the field locked down really helps this D. He needs to work on having his back to the QB all offseason until his head explodes. Hone those skills and he's a complete CB.

I for one hope McCourty never see's another snap at safety.

WR: this amendola idea is starting to grow on me........not as a welker replacement, but as slot depth, and the guy does both punt returns and kick returns, also. I also believe the julian edelman experiment has run its course as he has regressed as a WR and we already have slater as an ST guy who is limited as a WR, and slater could still improve at the deep game.

amendola would help reduce wear and tear on welker, and in the event that welker is seeking 10M/yr, would give the pats a season with another guy who actually seems to have the potential to replace welker should welker decide to go elsewhere.

the pats would still need to seek out a #1/#2 such as brandon lloyd or a high draft pick to complete the stable.
You couldn't be more wrong, but lately that's not unusual. First Amendola is a RFA - Do you really think its worth a 2nd round pick AND the cap space for a Welker BACK UP, when you already have one in place.....and even if you didn't. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes: Secondly its come to light that Amendola was in the Boston area to visit family and go to a funeral....its very unclear that he even had an official "visit". Third, Welker cannot "decide to go somewhere else". That decision is NO longer his. He either plays for the tender, decides not to play, or the PATS decide THEY want Welker somewhere else.

Your dismissal of Edelman is purely your attempt to further justify a bankrupt position....and your attempt to prove you are once again the smartest man on this board....fails.

I miss the old IC. He used to offer opinions you might disagree with, but at least made some sense. This one doesn't

I think the addition of gregory and perhaps landry would give the young corners what they need to stabilize things back there. I would love to be wrong about dowling and see him on the field the whole season as I do think he has the physical skills to be very good, but missing most of year one is somewhat of a death knell on this team. I think there is room for a guy like jason allen to be added.
Here we agree in principal, but why do you continue to promote the notion that Dowling is a consistent injury risk when it has been documented on many occasions that he WASN'T. He got hurt last year, so did a lot of other players in the league. Get over it.

That being said, your basic OP is sound. At best Gregory, now playing in his natural position, can provide the kind of range at FS we didn't have last season. (what I was looking for from Richard Marshall ;) ) At worst he can be a crack special teamer who adds depth, skill and experience to a very young secondary.....and certainly a big upgrade over what was there last season.

BTW- while I love the ideas of replacing Anderson/Carter with Jason Allen, it can't happen. He'd have to come over in a trade and his contract isn't a whole lot lower than Peppers/Williams. File under "wishful thinking", which is what we all do this time of year.

Just a thought on Waters and Carter. I can see a scenario where the Pats have already talked to Carter and Waters and have agreed in principal on the numbers to bring them back, but they will hold off on actually signing them until close to to TC. These guys had a long season and rest is more important than going to OTA's. It makes no sense to sign them now.

BTW- Where is Miguel? The Pats have added several guys and I'd love to know where we stand. This is the time when Miguel's services are most needed. Anyone know his status? Is he OK?

maybe its because dowling was labeled injury-prone prior to being drafted.....

I think you're confusing Jared Allen the DE with Jason Allen the CB

Here we agree in principal, but why do you continue to promote the notion that Dowling is a consistent injury risk when it has been documented on many occasions that he WASN'T. He got hurt last year, so did a lot of other players in the league. Get over it.

That being said, your basic OP is sound. At best Gregory, now playing in his natural position, can provide the kind of range at FS we didn't have last season. (what I was looking for from Richard Marshall ;) ) At worst he can be a crack special teamer who adds depth, skill and experience to a very young secondary.....and certainly a big upgrade over what was there last season.

BTW- while I love the ideas of replacing Anderson/Carter with Jason Allen, it can't happen. He'd have to come over in a trade and his contract isn't a whole lot lower than Peppers/Williams. File under "wishful thinking", which is what we all do this time of year.

Then you'd better hope that Glass-IR Dowling stays healthy enough to line up with Arrington on the other side.
Et tu, DI, Et tu. Sometime in the last few months, in a discussion about Dowling, someone fully documented his injury history while at Virginia, and it turned out that it was clear that while he did have injuries, he didn't miss nearly the number of games that would justify the "Glass-IR" moniker.

You are good at going back and researching old posts (I haven't a clue). Why don't you (or anyone else, who knows how to do it, for that matter; and let people read it and judge for themselves.

I'm saying what I said. The Patriots just signed Gregory and are still pursuing Landry. That doesn't seem as if McCourty is going to be a safety.
Do you really think Landry is an option. Isn't he at this point of his career an "in the box" SS. Haven't we heard that besides being a real injury risk, his coverage skills are his weakness. And don't the Pats, between Barrett and Chung the Pats have this aspect of their DB taken care of BTW- I'll be the first to say Barrett is the epitome of "injury prone", but who knows, maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Does it make sense to replace one injury prone guy with another, only at a higher price?

If the Pats really think SS is an issue they have to address, then I'd rather draft Barron, Smith or Iloki than pay the price for Landry.

Last edited:
Et tu, DI, Et tu. Sometime in the last few months, in a discussion about Dowling, someone fully documented his injury history while at Virginia, and it turned out that it was clear that while he did have injuries, he didn't miss nearly the number of games that would justify the "Glass-IR" moniker.

He's missed time and he's been banged up, and you're trying to split hairs, but I'm not using the moniker because of any long history of injury (although it's there despite your attempts to minimize it). I happen to think Glass-IR Dowling is amusing. If the guy goes another 10 seasons without ever missing a down, I'll likely still call him Glass-IR.

Maybe it's just me but I think that DI like others of us simply can't resist saying Glass IR. It's a great monicker. Better than Lewinsky.

EDIT: missed previous post while distracted responding

Last edited:
Go get Webb, BB. You will make me very happy heading into the draft.

Do you really think Landry is an option.

Yes

Isn't he at this point of his career an "in the box" SS. Haven't we heard that besides being a real injury risk, his coverage skills are his weakness. And don't the Pats, between Barrett and Chung the Pats have this aspect of their DB taken care of BTW- I'll be the first to say Barrett is the epitome of "injury prone", but who knows, maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Does it make sense to replace one injury prone guy with another, only at a higher price?

Landry's a starter-level safety. Right now, the Patriots have only one of those. While my safety preference was Tyvon Branch, that option never materialized (I had Landry in the top 4 options, but as #4). Unfortunately, teams kept their safeties this year, and that leaves Landry and Nelson as the best of a weak bunch.

I'll take the starter and trust BB to find a way to make it work. To me, that's preferable to getting another safety who's destined to be a day late and a dollar short in all aspects of the game. And Barrett? Come on....

If the Pats really think SS is an issue they have to address, then I'd rather draft Barron, Smith or Iloki than pay the price for Landry.

This year's safety class sucks, by most accounts, and that may be from the very top to the bottom. The split on Barron isn't imagined. There is a lot of question about his ability to play well at the NFL level.

maybe its because dowling was labeled injury-prone prior to being drafted.....
A label, even unjustly given, is a tough thing to overcome, I agree. But isn't getting the truth out the solution? Do you remember that post I mentioned? If someone could find it, maybe we can at least soften the myth behind the "label"

I think you're confusing Jared Allen the DE with Jason Allen the CB
Ooops, sorry about that. Allen (the CB) is an interesting option.I guess my problem with him, is more guilt by association. Wasn't he a big part of the bad secondaries the Texans had recently? What's the difference between him an Mouldin?

But if replacing Mouldin is an issue, in my fantasy world, I have the Pats the Pats trading down from #31 to early in the second and grabbing Steven Gilmore, who is fast becoming a Binky.

He's missed time and he's been banged up, and you're trying to split hairs, but I'm not using the moniker because of any long history of injury (although it's there despite your attempts to minimize it). I happen to think Glass-IR Dowling is amusing. If the guy goes another 10 seasons without ever missing a down, I'll likely still call him Glass-IR.
Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye