PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting the 3-2 Record, and Tom Brady, Into Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
1. We are fine at 3-2. Before the season, just looking at the schedule, a few here were saying we could very likely be 3-3 or 4-3 by November. Our current record is not surprising, and could even have been expected. We have a new offensive coordinator, our QB is back from major knee surgery, we traded away our best D-lineman, lost our best linebacker for 4 games, just lost our left tackle, and have a TON of new players either through draft, trade, or free agency.

It is, of course, legitimate to raise the current flaws of the team. There are issues with offensive and defensive play-calling and execution. However, who among us here are not confident that by December, this team will start rolling/gel'ing, as it always does? I'd wager that even those most critical right now, still have absolute confidence in the team's chances against anybody come wintertime. A few here, including myself, speculated that this season could be very similar to a 1988 49ers type season, where the team barely makes the playoffs and then goes on to win it all. It appears that this team is about right where many thought they were, or would be.

2. We also need to put Tom Brady into perspective. He's my favorite football player of this generation, and I think a top-5 all time QB, but I think some perspective needs to be placed on his abilities, especially for this year. He's not a superhero, and he is coming back from major injury.

Even without his injury, I think we need to forget about Brady's 2007 season as some sort of benchmark or expectation for his performances moving forward. For almost every single year of his nearly 10-year career, Brady has been a QB who gives you about 3800 passing yards, 28 TD's, and 13 INT's. This is what he is: a smart QB who makes few mistakes.

Tom Brady NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2007 was an aberration, not a new spike in regular Brady performance. That year we unveiled a new Meyer-adapted spread offense, which teams did not game-plan against before. Also, that offensive unit was fueled all season by an "F-You" attitude in reaction to the Video Witch Hunt.

We aren't going to see Brady approach 2007 for the rest of his career. We enjoyed it while it happened, but this team will get back to winning when the team, and the fans, realize that Brady is the same 28TD guy he's always been.

Well said and I agree 100%

1. We are fine at 3-2. Before the season, just looking at the schedule, a few here were saying we could very likely be 3-3 or 4-3 by November. Our current record is not surprising, and could even have been expected. We have a new offensive coordinator, our QB is back from major knee surgery, we traded away our best D-lineman, lost our best linebacker for 4 games, just lost our left tackle, and have a TON of new players either through draft, trade, or free agency.

It is, of course, legitimate to raise the current flaws of the team. There are issues with offensive and defensive play-calling and execution. However, who among us here are not confident that by December, this team will start rolling/gel'ing, as it always does? I'd wager that even those most critical right now, still have absolute confidence in the team's chances against anybody come wintertime. A few here, including myself, speculated that this season could be very similar to a 1988 49ers type season, where the team barely makes the playoffs and then goes on to win it all. It appears that this team is about right where many thought they were, or would be.

2. We also need to put Tom Brady into perspective. He's my favorite football player of this generation, and I think a top-5 all time QB, but I think some perspective needs to be placed on his abilities, especially for this year. He's not a superhero, and he is coming back from major injury.

Even without his injury, I think we need to forget about Brady's 2007 season as some sort of benchmark or expectation for his performances moving forward. For almost every single year of his nearly 10-year career, Brady has been a QB who gives you about 3800 passing yards, 28 TD's, and 13 INT's. This is what he is: a smart QB who makes few mistakes.

2007 was an aberration, not a new spike in regular Brady performance. That year we unveiled a new Meyer-adapted spread offense, which teams did not game-plan against before. Also, that offensive unit was fueled all season by an "F-You" attitude in reaction to the Video Witch Hunt.

We aren't going to see Brady approach 2007 for the rest of his career. We enjoyed it while it happened, but this team will get back to winning when the team, and the fans, realize that Brady is the same 28TD guy he's always been.

Well written.

No immediate need for concern here. We will be fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head. People see an extreme and expect that to be the norm. 2007 or the loss yesterday being opposite ends but valid examples.

One game at a time but there are three very winnable games and a bye week coming up to get things right before a murderer's row three week span. If this team exits November with no more than 4 losses overall, I like their chances at a bye as it sets up a very reasonable December.

Last edited:
I especially like the 1988 49ers parallels. Joe Montana had just come back from a major injury, the 49ers had tons of personnel changes before that season, and they went 10-6 then ran the table not only that playoffs, but dominated the following year as well.

I really think that 2007 has really skewed people's opinions of Brady. Brady is more Jeter than he is A-Rod. He's a fiery, ultimate team leader, whose natural self doesn't put up monster stats.

This team will start rolling again when it gets back to playing smash mouth football, physical D, and a balanced, deceptive, timely offense. The team right now is putting too much on Brady's shoulders, and he can't (and shouldn't be asked to) perform like Manning.

To add to that point about the spike Marino and Manning never hit the numbers of their spike years again. Yardage wise they both came within a few hundred yards but on TDs Manning's high since the 49 is 31. Marino came close of his 48 with 44 however at the cost of 6 more picks. Those three years where the yardage, TDs and Low INTs came together are very rare and special.

The team right now is putting too much on Brady's shoulders, and he can't (and shouldn't be asked to) perform like Manning.

The caveat to that being, right now. Manning struggled with the knee last year as well. They need to lighten the load on Brady for now until he finds his accuracy.

Its really hard to play games after 18 months .

But I m full of confidence about Brady back .

Not so sure about Randy BTW .

Thank you god, a thread of reason.

I don't have much if anything to dispute.

The caveat to that being, right now. Manning struggled with the knee last year as well. They need to lighten the load on Brady for now until he finds his accuracy.

All true and great points. However, even if Brady gets back to full strength, or I think even if his injury never happened, I think we should bring our expectations down to earth, and expect Brady to be more of the 28TD clutch QB rather than the stats-sexy Marino/Manning type guy he was for one season.

Manning has become more of that type of QB himself and I agree. I'd rather see 30-35 drop backs every week as the norm.

The thing is he only threw 33 times and they ran it 27 for 96 yards so they didn't ask too much of him in this instance. He simply had an off day.

I agree. Brady isn't that type of player, plus with his return from injury, I'd like to see him pass 30-35 times a game, with 0-2 TD's, and let the rest of the team win the game.

I just want Brady to be efficiant, clutch, and no picks.

And FWIW, Brady is on pace for just 6 INT.

This thread is fairly nonsensical.

You can't state flatly that 2007 was an aberration because Brady is "only" a 28 TD guy for all the years he didn't have Manning type weapons. It's a total non-sequitor.

2007 was the first year Brady had a legitimate receiving corps to light it up with. And he did.

2008 he was injured.

2009 he is coming back from a major injury and 18 months of not playing.

From this set of evidence, your conclusion is entirely baseless. If he is playing like this in a year, then okay, maybe you're right. But for now, right now, you really are just presenting conjecture as fact.

Agreed on all points.

After the Mayo injury and the Jets debacle, if you would have told me we'd be 3-2 at this point I'd have been ecstatic with that. And that's without knowing how good Denver has turned out.

I strongly agree. I see no evidence of this happening. To me, lightening the load is similar to what happened early in Brady's career and what happened last year with Cassell. The playbook needs to be adapted to Brady's current abilities. Some plays need to be eliminated until such time as Brady can execute them consistently and efficiently. This can be seen in practices. Charlie and Josh understood this well and succeeded with their quarterbacks.

Of course, I would like to see us run more, but that is another discussion.

I'm worried more about O'Brien than I am Brady. Tom seems uptight ... no comfort yet?

Well put. Maybe our expectations of a great player are a bit unrealistic. With time, he may elevate his game again. We are just over a quarter through the season, lets see how things play out.

I especially like the 1988 49ers parallels. Joe Montana had just come back from a major injury, the 49ers had tons of personnel changes before that season, and they went 10-6 then ran the table not only that playoffs, but dominated the following year as well.

I really think that 2007 has really skewed people's opinions of Brady. Brady is more Jeter than he is A-Rod. He's a fiery, ultimate team leader, whose natural self doesn't put up monster stats.

This team will start rolling again when it gets back to playing smash mouth football, physical D, and a balanced, deceptive, timely offense. The team right now is putting too much on Brady's shoulders, and he can't (and shouldn't be asked to) perform like Manning.

Shame on you for comparing a Boston sports legend to scum like Jeter and A-Roid. :mad:

I strongly agree. I see no evidence of this happening. To me, lightening the load is similar to what happened early in Brady's career and what happened last year with Cassell. The playbook needs to be adapted to Brady's current abilities. Some plays need to be eliminated until such time as Brady can execute them consistently and efficiently. This can be seen in practices. Charlie and Josh understood this well and succeeded with their quarterbacks.

Of course, I would like to see us run more, but that is another discussion.

And that's whats going to happen. This team is 3-2, there's plenty of time left. time to get better, time to get the kinks out, etc. I think this is a loss the team will get better from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes