Welcome to PatsFans.com

Putting On My Moderator's Hat

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 11 / -11

Moderator's now have the power to issue infractions, and these infractions will automatically lead to a person being suspended or even banned. Because it carries with it a real threat, it's more effective than warnings. It is also convenient and easy to use.

My feeling is there's so much personal sh!t in this forum that anyone new coming here to participate feels like they don't belong, like they're entering a private argument. By issuing infractions against those who consistently and repeatedly bait, insult, and bully as well as hijack threads they will either change their behavior or be forced out. In either case, it will help make the forum more inviting and less cliquish.

What are your thoughts?

2. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Hi patters.

How can we avoid to fall in this situation :
    A moderator who can use his privilege of punishing members with different point of view in politics , social and economics , religion.

I think that a moderator should let members exchange their ideas without interfering toward a liberal , conservative , or a religious , or atheist.
    Stay neutral ,do not give passes to one side, and squeeze the others.

That's my opinion , there might be a better solution , feel free to add better alternatives.

Thanks patters.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Sounds reasonable Patters. IMO you and FTW have been pretty fair, given that both have strong views on political matters.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +269 / 11 / -11

Wes, whenever we take action against someone that person gets offended. We try not to be subjective, but it's impossible in this kind of forum. In your case, you did violate a rule of patsfans, which are the rules we enforce most vigorously. The reason for that is because we try to think from the perspective that our job as moderators is to help and protect patsfans.com. That help keeps the politics out of our thinking.

Keep in mind that the forum would have been closed down had it not been for us coming up with rules and moderators. The forum used to get so heated that it spilled over into Ian's email and people actually quit patsfans.com altogether.

It's not a perfect system and we are not perfect. If you really think you were treated unfairly, regard it as an anamoly.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Ditto.

On too many occasions, threads turn into two members responding to each other's name calling. Whats the point? Hopefully, this also lets you step in and discontinue that ritual.

6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Your proposal sounds fair and good to me. If we want to have a place for real debate it has to be one that rises above personal attacks, insults, and name-calling, the stuff of immature adolescents.

//

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It really ought to be public. Every infraction PM should be copied and pasted to a stickied thread for all to see.

8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

I agree with that.

Also reputation points should be public.

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

In theory I'm good with it but Moderators have to use good judgement on it. Last week I got an "infraction" on the main board solely for continuing to take a Moderator's thread "off topic".

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So in other words, you're going to force yourself out of this forum..? Because you are the #1 offender of most of those infractions.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +269 / 11 / -11

I think everyone would start with a clean slate. In other words, no one will get infractions for things they did in the past.

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, I got an infraction for saying "One knee equals two feet - that was a catch".... so I got'cha trumped :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again... PF.com is a great forum but the moderators all too often engage in the very activities they're supposed to be preventing.

13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well then how about you go see if you can get the "QuiGon" ID reinstated... or maybe you can find out why it was banned in the first place...

Which rule of the forum does the following post violate...?

"One knee equals two feet - that was a catch."

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I got one in another thread for something posted months ago. No biggie though. Poop happens. I like Sdaniels idea of making them public. Maybe have a thread that posts them. The infraction itself would be public, but any conversing between the mod and poster wouldn't have to be. Sounds reasonable to me. This is the political forum, so emotions and victimization are more likely to be at play, be they warranted or not. Every will cry foul when they get one. Maybe posting the infraction itself will help keep things more honest.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What do you care about Qui Gon? Worry about yourself!:rocker::bricks:

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

This could be a good idea, but it would seem that there has to be an objective standard, if not the whining will intensify..

But I also think that the moderators have the responsility to show a modicum of personal responsibility and restraint.. it is somewhat disapointing when I read a thread and the mod responding got to the deptths of a little lower than whale shyt and then comes back with a sanction on another thread..

17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If this infraction system ever gets settled in and accomplishes anything (not lookin' too good so far IMO) perhaps the mods can turn their attention to the obnoxiously oversized signatures that everyone but me seems to be using.

Attention whores, the lot of them.