PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting a positive spin on a putrid pile of poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
First off, the biggest positive of all: I didn't have to watch this stinkbomb. I spent the early afternoon with the kids picking apples and at a playground, then went to the in-laws for an early supper. I caught NY's first drive of the 2nd half, a handful of plays in the middle of the 4th, some of the first half on the radio and did a little of the yahoo refresh thing. Other than seeing some highlights and reading this board, that is all I've got to go on so feel free to correct me if you think I'm a bit off.

* I find it interesting that people are jumping on Peas, considering that the gameplan was the same it has always been when facing a rookie QB. BB has never, ever played a pressure defense against a first year QB, even going back to the RAC days. He prefers to flood the passing lanes with defenders and force young QBs to have to make quality reads and throws to move down the field. Then when the field constricts there is less of an opening for the outlets and even a successful drive only nets 3. He has even stated this preference in interviews.

And you know what? It worked, almost to perfection. Other than one play where two Patriot defenders blew easy chances to nail the receiver and creating a big gain, NY had only a couple successful drives and none of them ended in TDs. It was checkdown, checkdown, checkdown all day from what I saw. NE held NY to 16 points despite losing their two best and most important players other than DL.

The problem was that the offense didn't put the space between them and NY that should have been there. They dominated the first half and still lead by less than a TD. Even then, the Jets D was nearly toast after being on the field for most the 1st half. The TD reenergized them the same way Buffalo's defensive score did the week before. In both cases negate those plays (or drive in NY's case) and the rest of the game plays out much differently.

* Much as with Peas, NE's offensive game plan was the same as it always is when facing a pressure defense. Stretch the defense horizontally and force the blitzers to present themselves presnap, get the blocking situated and read the coverage, run the play. Did we all forget how often NE passes against Pitt, or against Baltimore in 2007 despite the conditions? It is what they have done succesfully before (going into yesterday 7-1 with 24.4 average points scored against some of the best defenses). The problem yesterday was that NE's outside opposite Moss is a guy still getting his bearings and the slot was a rookie starting his first game. As soon as I heard Welker was out I knew NE would have some struggles because he is much more important the offense than people realize.

* All that said, NE still had plenty of chances to put this one away early, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. No, that isn't right. They shot themselves in the both feet, castrated themselves, chopped off several fingers and then shoved a red-hot poker up their ass. You can't expect to beat Detroit when you are walking back 5 or 10 yards every series of downs. And it wasn't even like those were "I'm toasted so I better hold onto this guy's jersey or my QB will get killed" type penalities. Illegal formations, holds on running plays when the defender was already blocked anyway. Real ugly stuff, but easily fixable.

* Yes, this season has started in inauspicious fashion. But journey back in time with me a little. In 2001 NE was 0-2 losing to an awful Cincy team and these Jets. Even if you want to say, "Brady wasn't starting yet!" what happened in his second game? NE was annihilated 30-7 by Miami. Now think back to 2003. Even if you want to discount the Buffalo game due to the Milloy effect, NE was decidedly mediocre against the Jets in week 3 and then lost to a pathetic Washington team. Or how about 2004? They beat Indy in a game they could have (or maybe even should have) lost and then were pretty bad against a dreadful Arizona team, only coming away with a win because the Cardinals were pitiful.

OK, how about those seasons that started out with a bang? In 2002 NE absolutely creamed Pitt and NY looking like the best team in the league. We all know about 2007. What happened? Both of those teams played their worst ball in December and beyond. I'll take a rocky first month over "Targetting September" any day. As long as NE makes steady progress they will be fine.

* Given the choice, would you prefer NE struggled early on defense but was decent on offense or vice versa? I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't even hesitate in taking the latter. Why? Because I know that NE's offense is going to come around. I know that there is too much talent on this roster for NE to be held to single digits again once the pieces come together. As confident as I have been that the defense will be strong at seaon's end, it was never a certainty. It is a certainty that the offense will not play this poorly again, barring major injuries.

* Edelman is going to be a player. He still needs more seasoning and his stats yesterday had more to do with the gameplan and NY's defense, but by season's end he will be a true asset.

* NY had less yards in the entire first half than NE averaged per drive. Hell, it was less than half of NE's average. The Jets play like that again and NE is up 24-3 and the second half is merely a formality.

* TN, Pitt and SD all lost. Unless you feel threatened by NY or Denver no one is running away with this thing.

* Lastly, on Saturday while I was putting one of the boys to bed, the other took off his diaper and crapped on the living room carpet. He then made the unfortuate decision to give this stinky play-doh a whirl. When I came downstairs, poop was everywhere; on the couch, streaked on the living room and kitchen floors, smeared in the living room and hallway carpets, on his feet, hands and face. :eek:

NE may have dropped a giant turd in the Meadowlands, but at least I didn't have to clean it up. :rocker:

First off, the biggest positive of all: I didn't have to watch this stinkbomb. I spent the early afternoon with the kids picking apples and at a playground, then went to the in-laws for an early supper. I caught NY's first drive of the 2nd half, a handful of plays in the middle of the 4th, some of the first half on the radio and did a little of the yahoo refresh thing. Other than seeing some highlights and reading this board, that is all I've got to go on so feel free to correct me if you think I'm a bit off.

* I find it interesting that people are jumping on Peas, considering that the gameplan was the same it has always been when facing a rookie QB. BB has never, ever played a pressure defense against a first year QB, even going back to the RAC days. He prefers to flood the passing lanes with defenders and force young QBs to have to make quality reads and throws to move down the field. Then when the field constricts there is less of an opening for the outlets and even a successful drive only nets 3. He has even stated this preference in interviews.

And you know what? It worked, almost to perfection. Other than one play where two Patriot defenders blew easy chances to nail the receiver and creating a big gain, NY had only a couple successful drives and none of them ended in TDs. It was checkdown, checkdown, checkdown all day from what I saw. NE held NY to 16 points despite losing their two best and most important players other than DL.

The problem was that the offense didn't put the space between them and NY that should have been there. They dominated the first half and still lead by less than a TD. Even then, the Jets D was nearly toast after being on the field for most the 1st half. The TD reenergized them the same way Buffalo's defensive score did the week before. In both cases negate those plays (or drive in NY's case) and the rest of the game plays out much differently.

* Much as with Peas, NE's offensive game plan was the same as it always is when facing a pressure defense. Stretch the defense horizontally and force the blitzers to present themselves presnap, get the blocking situated and read the coverage, run the play. Did we all forget how often NE passes against Pitt, or against Baltimore in 2007 despite the conditions? It is what they have done succesfully before (going into yesterday 7-1 with 24.4 average points scored against some of the best defenses). The problem yesterday was that NE's outside opposite Moss is a guy still getting his bearings and the slot was a rookie starting his first game. As soon as I heard Welker was out I knew NE would have some struggles because he is much more important the offense than people realize.

* All that said, NE still had plenty of chances to put this one away early, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. No, that isn't right. They shot themselves in the both feet, castrated themselves, chopped off several fingers and then shoved a red-hot poker up their ass. You can't expect to beat Detroit when you are walking back 5 or 10 yards every series of downs. And it wasn't even like those were "I'm toasted so I better hold onto this guy's jersey or my QB will get killed" type penalities. Illegal formations, holds on running plays when the defender was already blocked anyway. Real ugly stuff, but easily fixable.

* Yes, this season has started in inauspicious fashion. But journey back in time with me a little. In 2001 NE was 0-2 losing to an awful Cincy team and these Jets. Even if you want to say, "Brady wasn't starting yet!" what happened in his second game? NE was annihilated 30-7 by Miami. Now think back to 2003. Even if you want to discount the Buffalo game due to the Milloy effect, NE was decidedly mediocre against the Jets in week 3 and then lost to a pathetic Washington team. Or how about 2004? They beat Indy in a game they could have (or maybe even should have) lost and then were pretty bad against a dreadful Arizona team, only coming away with a win because the Cardinals were pitiful.

OK, how about those seasons that started out with a bang? In 2002 NE absolutely creamed Pitt and NY looking like the best team in the league. We all know about 2007. What happened? Both of those teams played their worst ball in December and beyond. I'll take a rocky first month over "Targetting September" any day. As long as NE makes steady progress they will be fine.

* Given the choice, would you prefer NE struggled early on defense but was decent on offense or vice versa? I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't even hesitate in taking the latter. Why? Because I know that NE's offense is going to come around. I know that there is too much talent on this roster for NE to be held to single digits again once the pieces come together. As confident as I have been that the defense will be strong at seaon's end, it was never a certainty. It is a certainty that the offense will not play this poorly again, barring major injuries.

* Edelman is going to be a player. He still needs more seasoning and his stats yesterday had more to do with the gameplan and NY's defense, but by season's end he will be a true asset.

* NY had less yards in the entire first half than NE averaged per drive. Hell, it was less than half of NE's average. The Jets play like that again and NE is up 24-3 and the second half is merely a formality.

* TN, Pitt and SD all lost. Unless you feel threatened by NY or Denver no one is running away with this thing.

* Lastly, on Saturday while I was putting one of the boys to bed, the other took off his diaper and crapped on the living room carpet. He then made the unfortuate decision to give this stinky play-doh a whirl. When I came downstairs, poop was everywhere; on the couch, streaked on the living room and kitchen floors, smeared in the living room and hallway carpets, on his feet, hands and face. :eek:

NE may have dropped a giant turd in the Meadowlands, but at least I didn't have to clean it up. :rocker:

As alwyas Oswlek...beautiful. I agree with a majority of your points, it is just difficult listening to the freaking Jet fans who feel like they won the Super Bowl. I am not worried about the offense as Brady is coming back from a terrible injury and will need time to shake the rust off. And you are right, Welker means so much to the offense. As far as defense, we need more pass rush, period. They held their own, against a rookie QB mind you, but gotta get more pressure and freaking tackle. Stop trying to "hit" someone and actually wrap them up.

All in all, we will be fine. We all are just having a kneejerk reaction to a poor showing.

Yep, if there's one thing we have to get fixed it's the red zone offense. Forget all the rest, at the end of the half we had a 2nd a 3 at, what, the 9 or so. If we could just get a first down then TD there, we're up 13-3 and we probably win the game. We've now played two games and other than the spark right at the end of the Buffalo game we've scored exactly one TD, the one yard run from Taylor. Fix this and a lot of the other problems won't look so bad - although I'm holding my judgement on the Mayo-less defense until after the Atlanta game.

This is a good post. Hard to believe we won't get the offense going in the next couple of weeks. Just need to hang in there until the bye. With a healthy Mayo in the middle and an experienced Guyton on the weakside, our defense could be special by the end of the year (who else saw Guyton catch Cotchery on the 45 yarder?)

I find it interesting that people are jumping on Peas, considering that the gameplan was the same it has always been when facing a rookie QB.

Although I am not jumping on Pees, I disagree with this statement. Although the Pats changed the calls quite a bit against Sanchez, the defenses were still very vanilla. In the past, the Pats confused rookies more by disguising coverages, blitzes, and rushes in general. Usually the LBs and DBs would move on and off the line a lot prior to the snap to confuse the QB. There was some of that, but not a lot.

I thought the defense played better than I expected and well enough to win the game. So I don't think Pees deserves criticism for this game individually. I still do not like his inability to get pressure on the QB which has been a problem since 2007. I don't think a blitz crazy mentality is the answer, but I would like to see more delayed rushes and disguised rushes that Crennel was famous for.

Although I am not jumping on Pees, I disagree with this statement. Although the Pats changed the calls quite a bit against Sanchez, the defenses were still very vanilla. In the past, the Pats confused rookies more by disguising coverages, blitzes, and rushes in general. Usually the LBs and DBs would move on and off the line a lot prior to the snap to confuse the QB. There was some of that, but not a lot.

I thought the defense played better than I expected and well enough to win the game. So I don't think Pees deserves criticism for this game individually. I still do not like his inability to get pressure on the QB which has been a problem since 2007. I don't think a blitz crazy mentality is the answer, but I would like to see more delayed rushes and disguised rushes that Crennel was famous for.

I'm just going by what I saw in the past and what BB has said, he prefers to play straight up against rookies because they aren't consistently reliable.

Crennel was famous for disguised coverages and delayed rushes because the personnel allowed for it. NE had 4 guys (Wilie Mac, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi - even Phifer if you want to throw him in) that could all rush from a number of spots. I think that there were planning on doing more things like this had Mayo not gotten hurt. Meriweather leaving early then made things worse seeing has he removes a strong blitzer and NE's best center fielder.

That Edelweiss kid looked great. (And I like the song named afer him from "Sound Of Music".) Aside from that... blech.

I can deal with Brady playing like crap. Half of it is him getting back to form, and half of it is him throwing at unfamiliar receivers like Entenmann (love those donuts he makes!) and Galloway.

I can deal with the DBs. It did seem like they were out of position when watching on TV--you know, watching the ball hit a Jet with no Patriots around him, then watching five Patriots converge on him--but they're young and new and will get better.

However, what I can't deal with, and what I don't see a lot of cause for optimism for, is the play in the trenches. As Parcells likes to say, football games are won along the O- and D-lines, and both of those look like utter crap right now. No matter whether they were on O or D, it looked like the Jets had 10 men on the line and the Pats had 4. The O-line has never really been the same since the 2007 GTSNBM (they did an abysmal job protecting Cassel, and we laid most of that blame on Cassel last season, but maybe unfairly). The D-line, I've been suspicious of for a while now; everyone says how great they are but they tend to disappear for long stretches of time, and they did it even when Seymour was here so I'm not attributing it all to his trade. Yeah, Dirty Sanchez looked great; so could I, if I were given that much time to throw, no pressure, and kept my jersey nice and clean.

(Oh, yeah, and, Belichick: if you try that quick lateral to the WR one more time, I'm gonna drive to Foxboro and pee on your car hood. That's two games now in which that play has failed miserably. Screen passes only work when Faulk gets them, apparently. And RUN THE DAMN BALL. That's two games now that the running game didn't look too bad, and yet you went away from it and threw-threw-threw.)

I was at a Renaissance Festival all weekend and hence was on Sports hiatus. Maybe the Patriots took my Q and went on hiatus yesterday.

Hate to burst the AOG RyanAir fans bubbles but Goodall did not hand over the Vince Lombardi Trophy to them after the game.

Last edited:
I'm just going by what I saw in the past and what BB has said, he prefers to play straight up against rookies because they aren't consistently reliable.

Crennel was famous for disguised coverages and delayed rushes because the personnel allowed for it. NE had 4 guys (Wilie Mac, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi - even Phifer if you want to throw him in) that could all rush from a number of spots. I think that there were planning on doing more things like this had Mayo not gotten hurt. Meriweather leaving early then made things worse seeing has he removes a strong blitzer and NE's best center fielder.

The way Crennel did it was more of delayed rushes, dropping a d-lineman into coverage while rushing a LB or safety, etc. I think they could do that type of stuff with any personnel. They haven't really done that type of stuff for a while even with Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Harrison here.

Again, I'm not ready to throw Pees under the bus, but I didn't think they approached Sanchez the way they approached other rookies in the past.

and a couple of more if someone else is responsible for the game plan and playcalling.

Putrid Pile of poop indeed. Patriots fans should carry PPP signs to the games.

I would have wanted BB to really punish these guys, but the only ones who really need punishment are BB and Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes