place Branch on PUP?
Since he has not been in camp and has not reported for duty isn't
he "Physically Unable to Perform:.

Who decides if a player is physically unable to perform? Couldn't Bill say
because he hasnt' practiced, got conditioned from all the hitting, that
he qualifies for PUP? :rolleyes:

Could BB get away with that classification so he could free up a roster
spot until October?
( assuming Branch will hold out until week 10)

Branch is already exempt.

He is on the reserve/did not report list.

See: Wilbert Brown, 2004. He didn't come to camp, and stayed on that list, exempt, until his release after the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Branch is already exempt.

He is on the reserve/did not report list.

See: Wilbert Brown, 2004. He didn't come to camp, and stayed on that list, exempt, until his release after the Super Bowl.

Ok, so ... he will not count towards the 53 until he comes back and when
he comes back Bill is obligated to cut one of the 53 playing at that time
so Branch can get his credit for having played a season towards his contract?

If Bill is not obligated to cut a player and doesn't to make room for Branch who decides to
come off this reserve list by reporting for work does Branch still get credit for
a seaon on his contract? Does he still get paid if he becomes willing to work
but Bill doesn't cut someone to make room for him?

Last edited:
JR4 said:

If Bill is not obligated to cut a player and doesn't to make room for Branch who decides to
come off this reserve list by reporting for work does Branch still get credit for

please..someone ans this !!:confused:

Since he hasn't practiced, I believe he could be put on the PUP if Belichick punched him really hard.

Just a layman's opinion.:D

JR4 said:

If Bill Doesn't make room for him, then he is essentially cutting him. Making him a free agent that much earlier.

JR4 said:

In theory he could be cut as soon as he reports if that is what you are getting at. But he will get paid either way for the last 6 games since a player with 4 years service is guaranteed their salary once the season starts (provided of course they report). So cutting him would gain us nothing beyond the ability to hang on to the last man on the roster while Deion hits waivers and could be added to the roster of the team who claims him.

They would trade him before they waived him, and they aren't going to do either. He will play for us sooner or later, his choice, and after that the chips will fall where they may. If he plays well he gets tagged (and likely traded if the holdout stretches well into the season). If he dogs it or causes a distraction he will be a FA but he will have seriously diminished his own value.

MoLewisrocks said:
But he will get paid either way for the last 6 games since a player with 4 years service is guaranteed their salary once the season starts (provided of course they report).

I thought that only applied if the player in question is on the active roster for Week 1.

In Branch's case, wouldn't he be inactive, and therefore not eligible for this "guaranteed" pay?

RayClay said:
Since he hasn't practiced, I believe he could be put on the PUP if Belichick punched him really hard.

Just a layman's opinion.:D
To the best of my information, a player must be put on the PUP/Active list before the first practice of training camp (no option to put the player on later in training camp even tho he hasn't practiced yet). A player may not be put on PUP/Reserve at the start of the season unless he was on and remained on the PUP/Active list right up until the start of the regular season.

This may have been answered elsewhere, but if Branch does not report before the start of the season he goes on Reserve/Did Not Report and does not count toward the 53 roster.

arrellbee said:
To the best of my information, a player must be put on the PUP/Active list before the first practice of training camp (no option to put the player on later in training camp even tho he hasn't practiced yet). A player may not be put on PUP/Reserve at the start of the season unless he was on and remained on the PUP/Active list right up until the start of the regular season.

This may have been answered elsewhere, but if Branch does not report before the start of the season he goes on Reserve/Did Not Report and does not count toward the 53 roster.

Why are you quoting my obviously silly post?

MoLewisrocks said:
In theory he could be cut as soon as he reports if that is what you are getting at. But he will get paid either way for the last 6 games since a player with 4 years service is guaranteed their salary once the season starts (provided of course they report). So cutting him would gain us nothing beyond the ability to hang on to the last man on the roster while Deion hits waivers and could be added to the roster of the team who claims him.

They would trade him before they waived him, and they aren't going to do either. He will play for us sooner or later, his choice, and after that the chips will fall where they may. If he plays well he gets tagged (and likely traded if the holdout stretches well into the season). If he dogs it or causes a distraction he will be a FA but he will have seriously diminished his own value.

Totally agree. He has nothing to gain by being difficult.

arrellbee said:
_____:D _____

I'm not real good at all these rule technicalities.

I depend on our more learned posters for that. I take it you didn't read my post all the way through the first time.:D

RayClay said:
I'm not real good at all these rule technicalities.

I depend on our more learned posters for that. I take it you didn't read my post all the way through the first time.:D
It's after midnight. A little levity and inanity .... cheers

MoLewisrocks said:
In theory he could be cut as soon as he reports if that is what you are getting at. ........

Not quite:

Say Branch is on this Reserve/did not report list

Season has started, PATs have a 53 man roster designated which
does NOT include Branch because he is on the Reserve list.

Then sometime during the season, week 7, 8 9 10 ... whever,
Branch decides to come out of seclusion and wants to report to work.
So he calls Bill and tells him he will report the following Monday.

Bill says to himself ... hey this team is cooking and they've got
great chemistry and we have shown we can be very productive
without Branch.

Then question 1 ( this is the question I'm really interested in):

Is Bill obligated to cut a player to make room for Branch?

Question 2 is:

If Question 1 is No and Bill does NOT allow Branch to report,
does Branch still get credit for a season on his contract?

Question 3:

If Bill can keep the 53 and not include Branch, does Branch still get paid
his weekly salary for the weeks remaining even though he wasn't allowed to
be part of the 53.

Of course Questions 2 and 3 are irrelevant if Question 1 is Yes.

Maybe Miguel knows these answers?

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Not quite:

Say Branch is on this Reserve/did not report list

Season has started, PATs have a 53 man roster designated which
does NOT include Branch because he is on the Reserve list.

Then sometime during the season, week 7, 8 9 10 ... whever,
Branch decides to come out of seclusion and wants to report to work.
So he calls Bill and tells him he will report the following Monday.

Bill says to himself ... hey this team is cooking and they've got
great chemistry and we have shown we can be very productive
without Branch.

Then question 1 ( this is the question I'm really interested in):

Is Bill obligated to cut a player to make room for Branch?

Question 2 is:

If Question 1 is No and Bill does NOT allow Branch to report,
does Branch still get credit for a season on his contract?

Question 3:

If Bill can keep the 53 and not include Branch, does Branch still get paid
his weekly salary for the weeks remaining even though he wasn't allowed to
be part of the 53.

Of course Questions 2 and 3 are irrelevant if Question 1 is Yes.

Maybe Miguel knows these answers?

Considering the team is part of the agreement that brings him back into camp, and they are the ones who activate him off the reserve/did not report list, then I'd say question 1 is 'yes.'

Here are a few important dates regarding the Branch situation:

http://atlantafalcons.com/team/impDates.jsp

AUGUST

8: Deadline for players under contract to report to earn a season of free agency credit.

12-16: Clubs have until five days prior to their game on the second preseason weekend to provide written notice to certain unsigned players and the NFLPA of their intent to place them on the Exempt List if they fail to report no later than one day prior to that weekends game. Any player who fails to report prior to the deadline will be ineligible to play or receive compensation for at least three games (preseason or regular season) from the time that he reports.

SEPTEMBER

3: Claims on players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon, New York time.

7: After 4 p.m., New York time, any new or altered incentives renegotiated in a pre-existing contract for the 2006 season automatically will be deemed "Likely to be Earned" for 2006.

26: Priority on multiple waiver claims is now based on the current season's standing.

OCTOBER

17: All trading ends at 4 p.m., New York time.

18: Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.

NOVEMBER

6: Deadline at 4 p.m., New York time, for an increase in a player's 2006 Salary to be counted as Salary for the current year. Any notice of an increase in a player's 2006 Salary received by the NFLMC after this deadline will be treated as a Signing Bonus.

DECEMBER

1: Deadline for reinstatement by 4 p.m., New York time, of players in Reserve List categories of Retired, Did Not Report, and Exclusive Rights, and of players who were placed on Reserve/Left Squad in a previous season.

29: Deadline for waiver requests in 2006, except for "special waiver requests" which have a 10-day claiming period, with termination or assignment delayed until after the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back