PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Punt coverage/ Kick returners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichiro

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Hey everybody, new to the boards but a long time pats fan.
Anyway i felt that one of our biggest problems last year was punt coverage. Either we were undiscliped in our lanes or something but i always felt like the other team was one man away from breakin one all year long. No swarming to the ball with 2-3 guys around. I hope this is fixed but I want BB to go away from using starters on special teams during the regular season
Another huge issue will be kick returners. I felt Dwight was a very good punt returner and Bethel (even though he ran too much side to side) always scared teams with his straight out speed. Two new guys at these positions leave me wondering

The coverage teams should improve with the addition of some of Gardner, Mitchell, Jone and Scott to replace Chatham.

With regard to returns, you just have to drink the kool-aid and wait. I have no clue why we don't have either Davis or Dwight on the team.

mgteich said:
With regard to returns, you just have to drink the kool-aid and wait. I have no clue why we don't have either Davis or Dwight on the team.

I don't like the idea of Hobbs, our #1 or 2 corner, returning KO's full time. I also don't like the idea of Troy Brown returning punts. Although i'm sure he'll be a great #3 reciever he's lost enough burst to make him look painfully slow when he recieves a punt.
Where does that leave us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does that leave us?

Maroney/ Hobbs/ Faulk/ Andrews

Maroney and Andrews will probably be back to return kicks with Faulk fielding punts, but we'll wait and see.

Welcome, Ichiro, to the best Pats analysis anywhere.
Kick coverage should improve by not only the aforementioned additions, but also the hopeful subtractions of Don Davis and Larry Izzo.
Look for Willie Andrews to be given the opportunity to win both KR and PR jobs. We may also see Maroney, Chad Jackson, Faulk and Childress in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back