Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pundits picking Patriots, but not in another wipeout

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +708 / 5 / -5

2. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, nobody was predicting a wipeout in the first NE - Hou game either. It was foreseen as a very close game, and a lot of the "experts" picked Houston. These guys need to say something though. They can't say "we'll just have to wait and see what happens this time around." That's really all you can say though. Got it?

3. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 12 / -5

#95 Jersey

it won't be a blow out..it will come down to the 2nd half

4. Wax Frog

Wax Frog In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

The more I read, the more sense I get that NE's offense presents more matchup problems than Houston's. Am I wrong in breaking from the herd with my nagging, unshakeable gut feeling that this could very well be another one-sided game?

5. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 12 / -5

#95 Jersey

houston is going to test the deep ball early and often in this game...they have to in order to open up the run game..let's just hope no PI calls..

6. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1

No, you are not wrong per se. The Texans simply have not been playing at a level to suggests the results will be different than the first matchup.

Consider in their first two months of the season the Texans were frequently defeating their opponents easily (score wise). Yet in their last two months of the season, except the Tenn game, they did not have any showings that matched their first two month prowess. Every game is now a struggle to win -- no decisive victories are being demonstrated (a similar reason as to why some people are down on Atlanta).
    Consider that, consider they are going into one of if not the hardest place to win, consider they made the first Patriot game a "franchise game" only to get embarrassed, considering these and other factors and it is far from unreasonable to believe the Patriots will win handily.

Of course, stating the obvious, every game is a new set of variables. They have won 13 games this year, this game has more riding on it and the expectations on them are less than the Monday night game. These reasons (and others) suggest a more competitive game.....

7. Wax Frog

Wax Frog In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I know all too well how flat the Pats O can be at inopportune moments, and accept the injury recovery factor, but for all that, visions of Gronkandez vs. depleted ILB corps sugarplums keep dancing in my head :eek: Surely a clean pocket for TB will bring about Gridiron Ragnarok? God, I think I'm turning into OTG :p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

9. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1

This is the area where your confidence surpasses mine. I am somewhat concerned with the level of the OL's play with OL. I'm not expecting doom, however, they have not played back to back games well in quite a while.

The Patriots are not impervious. The secondary can be porous. The LB's can allow too much 6 to 8 yard passing success over the middle. It isn't like the run D has stopped everyone. And the offense can get bogged down. But each of these can be overcome due to the totality of the Patriots abilities. IMHO the biggest team item that could derail a likely SB run is the uncertainty with the OL. If the OL performs the way they did against the 9ers, Jax, Miami 1? It will likely sink what appears to be a golden opportunity for a Patriot team that is, since Talib's addition, as primed for success as it has been since 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.