Welcome to PatsFans.com

public sector leeches...15 years=lifetime health care benefits?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 5, 2011.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

That's what public sector bus drivers--unionized of course--expected, demanded, and went on strike 44 days for a few years ago in Minnesocold.

Only public sector pigs at the trough could expect such lavish benefits not seen in the private sector for comparable jobs. the public turned against them, and then-gov. Tim palenty won. He looks pretty good to me.

We're in need of more of this type of back bone,, there's a big crunch happening paying for these exorbitant pay-offs for what used to be less pay. public servant pay, that is.
    YouTube - ‪StopUnionCorruption.org‬‏
    » I Stand with Scott Walker - Big Government
    The Coming Pension*Tsunami - Choose Red - TruthOffering.com

Stephen Meister wrote last year in the NY post--
    The succubus of government employee unions

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

The only leeches around here are the lazy right wing reactionaries who rely on sites like Big Government, or better still you tube compilation videos to come up with half truths and hysteria...

No one gets a pension after 15 years of driving a school bus...

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is, it is easy to post hysterical half truths and is often symbolic of a weak mind, not interested in searching for the truth.. it is akin to just another rumpswab following along without researching the issue..

Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com

Are Federal Workers Overpaid? | FactCheck.org

: TRENDS: Burning Question: Are Feds Overpaid? (4/1/10) -- GovExec.com

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Ha! That didn't take long for the name calling to begin. And that's what you lead off with as your clinching, devastating argument? You p--z.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Just follow along Andrew Breitbart knows the way.. do not think, do not do any research.. believe everything you read.

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

5. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

I heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Tim pawlenty uses this anecdote as a prop in his many speaking engagements.

Specifically I heard it here Reining in the Public Sector | Tim Pawlenty | Daily Podcast | Cato Institute

It's true blue public sector extravagance. And the NY post editorial? You haven't commented on that, I notice. that's an amazing op-ed. You should read it.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

The public employees are certainly part of the problem and not part of the solution.

7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

http://www.ers.ga.gov/plans/psers/formspubs/psershandbook.pdf

In Georgia, these employees are vested after 10 years as school district employees. Go to page 21 for an example of a school bus driver with 15 years service and their pension.....
    Edit- This was the second thing that popped up on a Google search. I'm sure there are others but you get the point.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +756 / 11 / -7

Whereas the current standard for being vested in a pension plan is 5 years.

Being vested doesn't mean you collect a full retirement. It means whatever formula they use applies and your retirement is now portable. So if you work 5 years you get a small pension from a place. If you work 50 years you get more accrued benefits.

As to the assault on the feds, Darryl's quotes seem much more germane to me.

The higher you go in the scale, the more likely you are to be underpaid; the lower down you are, the more likely you are to be overpaid. That is something you would expect from a flatter compensation curve than you find in the private sector.

Second point - They're counting the CSRS pensions from before the last time we all had to be up in arms about federal workers as averaged into the compensation of current federal hires.

So basically, you're saying that the last round of potshots at feds shouldn't even be counted as having happened.

Tell you what - you can go ahead and reduce my pension to what it already is, which is a small amount every month.

Since you're incensed not at me, but at the former federal pension system, I should think that would be more than sufficient. :rolleyes:

This periodic bullsh1t, frankly, is just annoying.

Private sector employment is up over the last few months, and public sector is down... and it's a pubbie "win" if the economy/jobless rate is still high in '12. Put two and two together.

The goal of the currently contemplated cuts is to curtail the desire of people to work for government, and encourage people to leave government employment, reducing the workforce through attrition.

So, you kill several birds with one stone -

1) pubbies hate the government, in the abstract - so if the gubmit gets smaller or cheaper, that's good (without regard to unintended consequences.) In the main, this is a defensible position for most dems as well.

2) pubbies hate the civil servants themselves, as seen in the comment stream on this thread. So no amount of vitriol directed at civil servants is ever enough to get the job done in the Echo Chamber, and no amount of theft from the public-sector worker is ever "a bridge too far." So another campaign against the civil servants scratches that itch.

3) Having bashed the private sector unions, pubbies -- who also hate unions -- now go to mop up the public sector unions, complaining that "oh look, they're unionized at a far higher rate than the private sector!"

Comical, since that's been an emerging difference since the union-bashing of the last 30 years. The other solution to such a difference, if we define such a difference as a "problem," is to re-unionize the private sector.

But the idiotic drumbeat is just "oh look how unfair! They still have unions in the public sector!!!! It's only fair to make sure they don't have unions either!"

As I have always said, if you are so jealous of public sector workers, go out and get a public sector job.

That is, if you're good enough. And if the jobs are so good I can only imagine most of you guys have tried to and failed.

PFnV

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Public Sector leeches is a broad term and could be used to folks who availed themselves of a free education at a military academy and did not learn critical thinking skills.. just think 200K+ of the taxpayers money wasted so lessons can be learned on Breitbart Compilation video's..

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

So the bottom-line is that no public sector pension should be funded by the public. If they're going to make the same as a private sector worker, then like the private sector worker, they should be funding their own retirement...after all, the average American jane & joe don't want to pay for it!

...right?

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +291 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

What's the current vesting schedule for healthcare until age 65? That was the OT.

Doesn't happen in the private sector very often anymore, regardless of tenure.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +630 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Apparently I am becoming comprehension-challenged. I can't find, in any of the links provided, anything which says public sector employees are vested in healthcare until 65.

If you would, please point it out to me or at least tell me which link states this. I, for one, find it hard to believe.

Most employers, both public and private, allow their retirees to participate in their health care program (as a secondary insurance to Medicare or as a primary if collecting pension benefits between 60 and 65) but the employees are expected to pay for it themselves. I know for a fact it works that way in the federal government because I pay my mother's portion of her supplementary BC/BS plan.

I'd love to see where someone is paying the entire amount or offers it to people who are not collecting retirement or disability payments.

Like I said, I don't think it happens in the public sector, either....Please point me to where it says that. I did read through the Georgia school plan - and they, too, pay for their insurance out of their retirement benefits - it even states that if the payment is larger than their benefit check they must directly pay the amount owed to the health insurance company themselves.

What if my retirement check is not enough to cover my
    health insurance?
    In this case, the health insurance department bills you directly.

There are only 4 deductions: federal taxes, state taxes, health insurance,
    and dental insurance. If you do not carry health insurance or
    dental insurance with PSERS, then those deductions are not made

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +756 / 11 / -7

So in answer to your inquiry, B5:

Since the OT is "[personal slur against any public sector worker]... 15 years = lifetime health care benefits",

There is no OT.

They pay into health insurance, then the insurance covers them, from what we've actually seen here.

I'll join the Mrs. in a request to show that public sector workers in GA get lifetime health benefits free once they have worked 15 years.

PFnV

14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +291 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Insurance during retirement is a rare perk. Do you pay your premiums 20 years in advance now? Usually you pay for coverage during the covered period. This is a treat, not a service that has been paid for in full by the recipient.

I'll leave it to the OP to provide what you were asking for. I was just pointing out that pensions and retirement health insurance are separate.

I don't know about Georgia, but I know people in Massachusetts who have their health care coverage paid-in-full as part of their retirement. In fact, some plans even allowed them to opt out of Medicare, putting the state or town on the hook for lifetime coverage. My town put an end to that noise, but I know that there are others who have that arrangement (my father-in-law's brother, for one).

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +630 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

I don't know about Massachusetts - seems like you guys have a bunch of benefits which other states do not have.

I do know that the federal government does not pay anywhere near "in full" health insurance benefits for their retirees.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

In all honesty, the time has come to end all publically funded retirement benefits for public employees. If they're going to make around the same as private sector workers, why should the avg. taxpayer be funding their retirement (as in "any of it")? We should just set up 401k's for them and match up to 3%.

Especially since most state & local jobs are secured by "who you know". There is a high level of unfairness in these 2 arena's. Add to that the fact that jobs are extremely hard to get and many private sector companies are even doing away with matching contributions.

Anyone agree/disagree?

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

When I worked for the state there was a move to do this, never gathered much steam.. this is being floated again, but the point is how to get from point A to point B.. as the currenty employees subsidize the retirees. Many of the young kids also did a deferred savings account also, they are living well.

FYI at one time I paid 15%+ of my salary for pension and social security contributions, this is increasing once again for current employees.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

You're right, it would be difficult to implement. Maybe some would have to be grandfathered in and then start with new employees.

I also realize that many public sector employess pay a significant amount of their earnings into their retirement. But the true test is, are these employees getting more than they paid into the system? If they are, then the public is funding part of their retirement. Just look at the number of people employed by cities, states and the federal gov't! The number has gotten so large, it's become a burden upon the average taxpayer. And it's a burden we can't afford.

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Besides bytching what can be done?? Keep in mind most of the folks who collect pensions are in the 15-35K year range, all benefits are skewed by the fat cats at the top.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

My biggest beef with gov't workers outside their costs to taxpayers is the number of them who get their jobs because they know someone. If I'm paying these workers, I don't want the buddies of elected officials on my payroll.