Welcome to PatsFans.com

Public School Dist. To Pay Muslim Teacher Over Mecca Trip

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Oct 25, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Public School Dist. To Pay Muslim Teacher Over Mecca Trip | Judicial Watch

So you take a job and want to take vacation during the middle of the school year.... I can imagine the outrage if some crazy wanted top leave before exams to go visit the pope.....:rolleyes:
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

This is ridiculous, I agree.

Of course, many Christians don't think employers should be able to do anything when healthcare workers, or pharmacy employees, don't want to do anything that they believe is objectionable due to their religion.

to me, it's simple -- you do the job or you don't, and the employer can fire you or not. You have the freedom of religion, but people don't have to pay you for it.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

In RI we give the kids days off for the Jewish Holy days..

My resolution is simple do not give kids any days off with religious themes, ergo all of this can be avoided.. call it December break. Call is roving Spring Week off..

OTOH the first post is inflammatory as is the judicial watch commentary, it sounds as though she was fired.. they should not accomodate anyone for religious holidays, problem solved.

Used to work with a Muslim guy, who every year asked for Ramadan off and was denied. Sooner or later he will file some kind of suit and win.. it is what it is, the constitution does not allow for certain religions to have more freedoms than others. OTOH, he was pretty dumb and may never follow through.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Believe it or not there is more to this than pf13 posted when he linked to yet another right wing blog............

AP story courtesy of Safoorah Khan | Berkeley School District to Pay Back Muslim Teacher in Lawsuit over Pilgrimage to Mecca
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +280 / 6 / -4

Anyone have a more credible source on this?
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

:bricks:
    Allah Ackbar
  8. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See my earlier post. She requested unpaid leave and was denied. Reason # 8 billion that religion has no place at all in public schools.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

A consent decree essentially means that the defendant did wrong and violated something, so to avoid going into court(which can be a crapshoot) they come up with an agreement that both sides can live with. Then the Court essentially rubber stamps it..

You will often hear people speak of "Court Orders", which are essentially consent decrees..
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Of course teachers have the entire summer to go wherever they want. Why leave during the 180 days of the school year?

The school district depends on the teachers to be present to do their job. There were exams coming what about the rights of the students to an education. If the teacher was ill that would be one thing. If someone agrees to be a teacher they shouldn't have the expectation of taking vacation during the school (besides the already generous vacations built in).
  11. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As I already said. Can we please get religion out of government.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Maybe because the Hajj is a scheduled occurance much like the Jewish holidays of Passover and Hanukkah and the Christian holiday of Easter. It takes place sometime in Oct., Nov., or December.

You'd have to know the contract of that particular teacher and what is customary in that school system to know if other teachers were allowed to take leave, either paid or unpaid, during the school year.
  13. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Christians already have Christmas and Easter.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Well in this case it is government advocating for religion in government jobs....
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

True enough....so, in the interest of fairness, the Muslims ought to get Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha and the Jews ought to get Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and a couple of days at Passover.

I think that many school systems allow the Jewish teachers to be off on those days although I'm sure it's up to the individual school systems.

However, it there's a precedence for allowing religious holiday observation in the school in question and the Muslim teacher was not accomodated, then she probably does have a case.

That's the trouble with these little "news" stories - they don't tell the whole story and it's wrong for any one of us to "guess" as to the fairness or unfairness of whatever is being reported.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

So should we also start having school in session on Christmas and Good Friday in order to get the government out of religion?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Then take the year off, don't make a commitment then leave the school district and children hung out to dry so you can take a vacation.

Perhaps wait until you retire perhaps take a years sabbatical as one might to go back to school. Or teach in an Islamic school where rel;igion would supercede the needs of the students.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Maybe we should bomb or invade Mecca? That would solve this 'problem' from your perspective.
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Don't we usually "guess" what's going on without necessarily knowing the whole story?
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

She asked for unpaid leave for religious reasons. I'm glad the right wing is coming down against this. I think bar mitzvahs and communions that are out of town and may require a few days off, religious holidays that fall mid-week, etc. should all be denied unpaid leave. After all, religion is a choice, and I don't get why it's subject to the same type of civil rights laws as race, gender, ethnicity, and sexual orientation, but I commend the righties for their strong stand on the separation of church and state.

Suburban School District To Pay Back Safoorah Khan, Muslim Teacher Denied Hajj Leave

Islamic scholars said, in response, that delaying her Hajj for a summer trip would have meant a wait of at least a decade, as the date of the annual pilgrimage is guided by the lunar year and changes annually. Further, Sayyid Syeed, who directs interfaith and community affairs for the Islamic Society of North America, explained to Religion News Service that asking a Muslim person to take their pilgrimage in the summer is akin to asking a Christian to celebrate Christmas in July.