Welcome to PatsFans.com

Public-Employees Union Now Leads All Groups in Independent Election Outlays

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

This is basically taxpayer money, that is used to elect officials, who will give the unions more taxpayer money, who then turn around, and use the taxpayer money, to elect officials, who will then give....you get the point.

Campaign's Big Spender

Public-Employees Union Now Leads All Groups in Independent Election Outlays

By BRODY MULLINS And JOHN D. MCKINNON

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees is now the biggest outside spender of the 2010 elections, thanks to an 11th-hour effort to boost Democrats that has vaulted the public-sector union ahead of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the AFL-CIO and a flock of new Republican groups in campaign spending.

The 1.6 million-member AFSCME is spending a total of $87.5 million on the elections after tapping into a $16 million emergency account to help fortify the Democrats' hold on Congress. Last week, AFSCME dug deeper, taking out a $2 million loan to fund its push. The group is spending money on television advertisements, phone calls, campaign mailings and other political efforts, helped by a Supreme Court decision that loosened restrictions on campaign spending.

"We're the big dog," said Larry Scanlon, the head of AFSCME's political operations. "But we don't like to brag."

Public-Employees Union Is Now Campaign's Big Spender - WSJ.com
  2. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

I think any entity that recieves a significant portion of it's revenue from the gubmit, should not be allowed to donate to either politicians, or political groups. That would mean companies like Raytheon or Boeing couldn't donate, nor could these public employee unions, or the Teachers Association. To me, it's an absolute conflict of interest, and a form of legalized corruption. Those are our hard earned dollars at play.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Companies like like exxon, bp, lockheed martin, Boeing the Koch brothers, China Russia the UAE , Saudi Arabia etc.have a lot more money than the public employees union. Plus they coordinate their efforts. Why should they be able to influence elections to the degree they do? I'm all for capitalism but its getting to point that income inequity is so out of balance we're headed for France before the revolution.

Special Report: The haves, the have-nots and the dreamless dead - Yahoo! Finance

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In 2007, when the world was on the brink of financial crisis, U.S. income inequality hit its highest mark since 1928, just before the Great Depression.

Coincidence? Maybe not.

"This raises a host of social, economic and political questions. Should public policy aim to reduce inequality, and if so by what means? Does concentrated wealth at the top of the income spectrum generate asset bubbles, or vice versa? Could raising taxes or interest rates ward off financial meltdowns?"

"America has one of the largest wealth gaps among advanced economies. Based on an inequality measure known as the Gini coefficient, the United States ranks on a par with developing countries such as Ivory Coast, Jamaica and Malaysia, according to the CIA World Factbook".

Back in the twenties the middle class were giving loans to make up for they're lagging behind, now its credit in the form of leveraged borrowing and lending. Anyways its a long article not one for the add impaired
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What about the term "Independent Election Outlays" confuses you? If all those outfits are spending more money, then why does this group lead? Moreover, what do you use to get sand out of your ears?
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

What do you use to get the sh1t out of yours. Alright that was unfare, I didn't articulate clearly what i wanted to get across. I don't think ANY Body should be dumping this much cash into an election to influence the results. But of the two groups corporations have the deeper pockets, and now add foreign governments to the list. Thats just un-American.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Be nice to the lefties, they are pretty testy right now due the the tsunami they see coming.

I don't have a problem with the Unions spending money getting their opinions out. I do think the hypocracy of the left is funny since they want unions spending tons of money but not other groups who don't always support their positions (see Citizen Obama's angst over the Citizens United decision) BTW I never see the left concerned about donations by Trial Lawyers either just certain corps.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

I'm talking about money that comes directly from the government flex. Politican X gives corporation/union Y a fat contract, and then Corporation/Union Y donates a portion of that money to get Politician X re-elected. That's taxpayer money. Private money is a different story, which isn't to say that I'm ok with SA, or China flushing money into our elections. I'm not. As for Exxon, BP, Burger King, etc. it would come down to whether or not such entities are getting public funds, as well as the specifics of their involvement. In this case though, I'm talking about corps/unions/groups that get paid with taxpayer money. I think they should be barred from political expenditures. Endorsements are fine, but the $$ is not IMO.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +487 / 6 / -7

So why are we just concerned about the unions? What's the difference whether it's business interests, public unions, etc?
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

Not unions in general. Public employee unions. You know, the one's that get paid by the government, and who's interests (wallets) are best served by having certain pols elected, who will increase their budgets and funding. As I stated, I think any business, group, union, or entity that derives a sizable portion of their income from the government (taxpayer money) should not be allowed to donate cash to political groups, or politicians. That would go for defense contractors, public employee unions, etc.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +525 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Section 8 housing landlords?
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

Absolutely. The entity that gets cash from the government, shouldn't be donating any money to political groups or politicians. As an individual, a person can donate to whomever they want, up to the legal limit. As a business, union, corporation, or entity of whatever kind, cash transactions shouldn't be allowed. So if a teacher wants to donate their money to Joe or Jane Blow, who's running for under secretary of the sanitation department, no problem. If Raytheon wants to as well, no way. The owner of Raytheon can donate up to the legal limit from his own pocket, but not from the company's coffers.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Please adhere to the rules of the forum. Circumventing the language filter is a violation.
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +275 / 10 / -26

Are foreign contributions better????
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

Absolutely not.
  15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Coming from someone that can barely write a single sentence without insulting somebody..... Hello POT
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I don't want one dime of my tax dollars helping public unions...not even a penny. So how do we put an end to it?
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I belong to that union, it stinks. They take $400 dollars a year in dues, ive yet to see do a thing for me or anybody that works with me. Early this year someone retired but instead of replacing them the university made up a position in middle management and hired somebody for $140,000. Thats more than double what the guy who retired made. I work for the MA Department of Public Safety if we go they have to close the school down. When i said something to the union steward he sided with the admin. I said why am i paying you four hundred dollars a year for? He said "well you get free dental and eye" I said "for four hundred bucks i'm sure i could get pretty good insurance." End of conversation. I don't know anyone that likes the union, they're useless, we have no say in what they do with our dues. But i will side with them in trying to match the money corporations put into influencing the election.
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Worse (and illegal).
  19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +67 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

You liked citizens united right, well this is what you get. BTW if its and comfort i heard the pubies have thrown in close to $250 million.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +275 / 10 / -26

Because of corporations like Boeing, Raytheon and the rest of the merchants of death this will never change.. interesting how many spend our lobbying dollars on perpetuating their existance...

This is a breakdown of the top lobbyists in the defense industry in 2010....