Welcome to PatsFans.com

Protesters Disrupt Hindu Prayer In Senate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/12/national/main3051052.shtml

(AP) A Hindu clergyman made history Thursday by offering the U.S. Senate's morning prayer, but only after police officers removed three shouting protesters from the visitors' gallery.

Rajan Zed, director of interfaith relations at a Hindu temple, gave the brief prayer that opens each day's Senate session. As he stood at the chamber's podium in a bright orange and burgundy robe, two women and a man began shouting "this is an abomination" and other complaints from the gallery.

Police officers quickly arrested them and charged them with disrupting Congress, a misdemeanor. The male protester told an Associated Press reporter, "we are Christians and patriots" before police handcuffed them and led them away.

For several days, the Mississippi-based American Family Association has urged its members to object to the prayer because Zed would be "seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god."

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Those eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil christians. All 3 of them. Maybe Rosie was right, radical christianity is just as dangerous as radical islam.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

Are there any Hindu's in the Senate, why was a Hindu doing this, this is America, who gives a sh!t about Hindu's we've got enough problems with the Jehova Witness's banging on our doors when we're having sex.
    :bricks:

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

Funny, that's how some "other" monotheists look at Christian invocations.

Pretty boneheaded protest, if you ask me. This is not your Christian theocracy. This is the UNITED States, including Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and yes, Moonies and Scientologists.

I got a concept for ya: Keep prayers in churches (mosques, synagogs, temples, etc.)

Something tells me that church/state separation will become increasingly popular, if the population becomes increasingly something other than Christian. Creches paid for by taxdollars are fine, and I should note, Menorahs are too, since Christians believe Judaism to actually be "included" in their own religion. But wait until the first "idols" are set up with our tax money. How about it, guys, you up for a nice big pentagram erected downtown for Samhain?

I'm tellin ya, Jefferson was right about this church/state thing.

PFnV

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

This country was founded on separation of church,and state. In the last twenty years that distinction,or that line has been blured and we are all the worse for it.It's turned politics into good vs evil,the good christian right vs the goodless liberal left.There's no discusion anymore of the issues,just rancker and name calling.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Merry 25th of December! :D

7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

And a happy 25th of Kislev back atcha!

8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

What are the two of you trying to ruin a perfectly good serious discusion with this inane crap about Christmas in July,and some Yidish celabration.I have a mind to call down the 12 year old,and Dudley Do-right to slap the two of you with the race card muey pronto they'll tag team your azz's. I know some how they'll think of a way to make this fit into their agenda. :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  9. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised they allow any prayer at all.
    They don't in the schools.

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In America, we have to pretend there are as many people of other religions as there are Christians. It's all a game of liberals trying to fool themselves.

11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 15 / -8

It's a matter of living in a country where we don't favor the most, or the least, popular creed over others, Qui. It's not a poll, or a popularity contest, to decide who has the most adherents.

Which is necessary for American to provide the goal, which is freedom of religion, and a wall of separation between church and state:

1) a decision on which is the most popular religion, or
    2) a policy which asserts the same principals, regardless of creed?

If the U.S. is what it says it it, it's immaterial whether we're majority Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, whatever. It should be impossible to tell by looking at our courtrooms, congressional prayers, or other institutions.

The best way to do this, of course, is not have prayers in congress (for example.) There are places we can pray, notbaly the church and the home. The congressional variety seem a political ploy in the first place. But if you really want a religious theatrical production in congress, make it impossible to tell that the U.S. "favors" one or another religion -- of course such prayers should be inclusive of all creeds, if you have them at all.

I'm just saying, I wish the bloody wiccans would get off their azzes and demand more religious displays involving horned goat gods and the like. It would cure the whole "America is a Christian country and we SHOULD exercise religion in the public sphere on the public dime" perspective.

What people who say this really mean is "we SHOULD exercise Christianity in the public sphere on the public dime." Sometimes they dress it up as Judeo-Christianity, and some Jews buy this. But how many Hindus, Muslims, etc., buy it?

If your position would change when you change the popularity of the creed in question, it is obvious that you've crossed over the line into taking steps to establish a state religion.

In America, you're not s'posed to do that.

PFnV

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

This whole thing has to do with respect and manners, Hindu is really a religion of peace... all of congress has no balls, no one stood up and supported these folks, whether or not you agree or disagree, it is about have some respect for other people and other peoples religions. There will be attempts to plolarize and politicize this and develop it into some type of headline on Worldnet or Newsmax, how congress is trying to let Hinduism take over america. It is what it is, another religion.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Why does Christiandom cling to the notion that its monotheistic anyway? Seems to me that you have god the father, god the son, and god the holy spirit. In addition you have the pope, who is god's representation on earth. That means he's got to be a demi-god at least. By my count that's at least 3 maybe 3 1/2 gods, not one.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

Bring A Hindu Home To Dinner

15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

It has, how so?? ...... :confused:

I actually don't disagree with the last statment at all, minus the obvious negative slap to the "christian" right :rolleyes: . How, specifically, has the line between "separation of church,and state" been blurred in the last 20 years? How are we "worse for it" too? If anything, I'd say, the complete converse is true.

16. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Don't you all know it would tear apart our entire nation's social fabric if we allowed anything other than Christian prayers? There would be Senators raping other Senators on the Senate floor.

No, it's nothing but a few particular Christians wanting to be "in" while everyone else is "out". They're in the wrong damn country.

17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

by "Don't you all know it.....", do you mean the 3 morons that actually did it, or do you mean, all of you folks that lean to the right politically, therefore, by extension, certainly justify the action of a few whacked out bible-thumpers :confused:

Not sure you're implying that the rest of us are justifying what they did or not, but If so, let's not paint to broad a brush here. I think what the did was pretty stupid myself and I'm sure many of us would agree on that.

Extremist on either side of the aisle are not good for the country?

18. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By "you" I mean everyone on this forum who has defended or would defend those three nuts. I didn't implicate the whole Christian faith. I said "a few particular Christians".

19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

Give me the specifics of your question. I wasn't trying to infer ALL christians,just a small radical minoraty.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

I don't defend any "religious nuts" and that includes Muslim Nuts, what I defend is no religion should be allowed to do anything that other religions are not allowed to do.

If Christians are forbiden to do something than no religion should be allowed to do it, if the Christian can't wear a cross to school than a muslim should not be allowed to wear a scarf, if a christian is not allowed to say "God" in school than a Muslim ahould not be allowed to say "Allah".

If christians are trashed for praying in the Senate why the hell should a Hindu be allowed to pray in the senate.

Liberals are full of sh!t, the bastards hate themselves.
    :bricks: