Welcome to PatsFans.com

Protecting America's Coasts from the NVA

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Commander Shears, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Commander Shears

Commander Shears Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

from Cape Code Times:

Delahunt's Veteran Status Questioned
    Claim of Veteran status on ballot is fraudulent says state official

South Shore radio station WATD (95.9 on the dial) has apparently nailed our incumbent US Congressman William Delahunt in a fraudulent claim as a veteran.

This is important because in Massachusetts the election laws allow the designation as "veteran" to appear after a name on the ballot.

Delahunt's apparent fraudulent claim has already been used in the primary elections and the November 7th ballots are already printed.

Christine James, News Editor of WATD News said, "if this was a southern state this would be the end of Delahunt's career."

Two candidates running for office in the tenth congressional district claim to be veterans; but according to the paperwork, it looks like only one, can in fact, claim to be a veteran. And it's not the incumbent, Congressman Bill Delahunt, but his Republican challenger Jeff Beatty.

Scituate resident Rich Hagert is the State Representative of the Veteran's Party of America. He says from reviewing both candidates dd-214's (military discharge papers) Delahunt's claim that he's a veteran 'appears to be fraudulent' because most of his 180 days in the service were for training which does not count under Massachusetts General Law. Massachusetts General Law says a veteran had to have served 180 days of active duty to be called a veteran - it does not include time training as a reservist in the armed forces of the United States.

Jeff Beatty served in the Army, with nearly ten years of active duty-- including time as a Delta Force Officer.

Congressman Bill Delahunt says he is proud of his Coast Guard Reserve service.

2. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yea,but he's a vet of the Venezuelan Navy!

Served under Chavez,kept Bush from invading.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 22 / -19

Oh pleez, are you serious? He served in the Coast Guard Reserve. His error, if any, is very technical. This comment from the link where the article was posted says it best:

"ChathamBaseball (registered user) writes: So basically because Bill Delahunt joined the Coast guard is not enough to be called a veteran? That's garbage. At least he joined and served. He took the road less travelled. I was a Marine Reservist, I am a vateran. I served in Iraq, got the purple heart, silver star and distinguished service medal. I am a life member of the VFW. I was called upon and did my duty just like Bill Delahunt would have done if he had been called. Don't hold it against him that his unit was never activated, that was beyond his control. At least he put himself in a position to serve when called unlike most people. Very few people can say who is a veteran is or who isn't. Some stupid law stating 180 days doesn't mean a thing. he joined up when he could have chosen not to. he put himself in a position to serve. That's more then a majority of people on the cape can say. "

4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isn't Delahunt the scumbag who campaigned heavily in favor of term limits when he first ran for office, then conveniently decided "gee maybe term limits aren't such a great idea" when his time came up..? I may be misremembering since I didn't live in Massachusetts back then....

5. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No.....that was smilin' Marty Meehan

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I stand corrected :D It's tough to keep these Massachusetts liberals straight (especially since so many of them aren't). All I know it Kennedy is the one that killed an innocent young girl because he was drunk driving - and then tried to cover it up.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

I applaud the dudes service in the Coast Guard, but I really don't know if I'd equate the CG to being a real veteran like a Marine. Walking the streets of Falujah is far different than checking a troller for undersized flounders. Anyhow, I couldn't care less about it since I know nothing about the guy himself.

Anyways, me thinks Patters would think otherwise were Delahunt a Republican.

8. Commander Shears

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

So being a Coast Guard Reserve from 1963 to 1971 makes you a 'veteran'? Funny, I seem to recall another way of earning that distinction during those very same years. You say 'tomato', I say 'draft dodger'.

9. Commander Shears

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Lest we forget Tillie Fowler R-FA, Scott McInnis R-CO, & George Nethercutt R-WA.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

He was not a draft dodger, he seems to be more of a "favorite son", if you were a draft dodger you either went underground or went to Canada. By enlisting you were considered to have done service for your country, positions in the Coast Guard were few and far between and were considered "cherry" although some were sent to Viet Nam. There is also a time line issue here as in 1963 folks joined the reserves, not to avoid the draft(as I do not think there was not one at that time) but for other reasons... service to country, perks etc. The Viet Nam war did not heat up until 1964, so unless he has some mind freak powers to say he is a draft dodger seriously begs the issue.

11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Not favorite son. It is Fortunate Son. You know the song that John Fogerty wrote about George W Bush's champagne unit service during Nam.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, it's good that he served somewhere, but to try to call it "veteran" is a tad disengenuous.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

Fortunate son, favorite son makes no difference... bottom line is this guy got into the reserves in 1963, one year prior to Gulf of Tonkin Incident.. if I had gotten into the Coast Guard Reserves would not have nearly killed myself in the summer of '68 trying to get my BP up to avoid the draft when I was 1-A. When the lottery came up my number was 313, Damn I missed the opportunity to be the first one on my block to come home in a box.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

I always thought that the status of veteran was attributed to service to country in the armend forces, not participation in a war... you have discounted millions of men and woman who have served their country. Should a marine stationed at Pendleton during this time and does not go to Iraq, not be called a Veteran??

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

Slick Willy and King Goerge had alot in common. Whereas I would never defend either on their ethics during the time of the draft, I do understand the intentions of the family's of both men. Where I do not agree with it, clearly, each wanted to protect their children. Imagine if a draft for Iraq were held tomorrow. How many of you, if able, would try to ensure that your child would not see action? My guess is many would. Remember that Vietnam, like Iraq now, was not a very popular war.

16. Commander Shears

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Obviously he didn't move to Canada or burn a draft card in '63; but there is no ethical difference in my mind. If anything, an actual dodger at least doesn't use connections to pretend to be serving and then later claim to be a veteran.

He was in the Coast Guard Reserves, not the monestary, it was not a lifelong irreversible commitment. The reason he stayed in the Coast Guard Reserves was to avoid service in Vietnam. You know it, I know it, he knows it, George W. Bush knows it, EVERYBODY knows it. There's nothing wrong with it, especially since he is old enough for no one to care about his Vietnam service anyway, but trying to benefit politically by intentionally mischaracterizing one's military history (to be construed as its exact antithesis) is dishonest to put it mildly.

Someone should copy this entire thread and switch Delahunt's name for Bush. I'm guessing you'd get the exact same responses from the exact same people, but they would have switched sides.

17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Maybe the guy just likes boats.

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +818 / 27 / -33

I think you are a product of convenient history, first of all I am not even sure there was an active draft in 1963.. as mentioned previously the Viet Nam build up did not even start until 1965.. to minimize the service of anyone who has served, apparently honestly, diminishes the service of all of those who have ever served outside of combat. I remember many guys who were drafted during Viet Nam, but did not go to Viet Nam instead of Germany or Italy. They are veterans nonetheless... this guy signing up for the Coast Guard probably had nothing to do with Viet Nam, probably got some very good perks for signing up when he did and was discharged in 1969. As I also said there were Coast Guard on duty in Viet Nam, so he as well as anyone who was in the reserves stood a chance of being activated for combat in VN.

As you said no one cares about his service, the fact is he served his country through the reserves... then why make it a political point? During that time for him to serve in the Coast Guard Reserves from 1963 to 1969, would have been considered honorable and above the norm, most people abhored the service and the whole Viet Nam conflict during that time. Most kids I knew, tried very hard to avoid the service... at least he served. Look at Cheney with his deferments, Rush with his Pilanaidal cist(sp), Bush took a year off from his service, Wolfowitz and many of the architects all missed Viet Nam for one reason or another...