PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Props to Wilfork, cornerstone of the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we have no idea if there will be a cap or not after this season, and if worst comes to worst we can still just franchise him. And we still don't know how much Wilfork is asking for. As good as he's been this year, if he wants substantially more than he's worth to the Pats (and if we're switching to the 4-3 permanently, then his market value as a premium NT will be higher than his Pats value), I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats let him walk. It would be a major blow, but it all depends on how much it'll take to get him signed.

I think I recall Reiss saying that the pats were offering him considerably less than what Haynesworth got recently, and I don't fault them for that. What I fault them for is not pulling the trigger after they knew what they had in him. They know how important he is to the defense. They knew that Seymour would likely be gone after 2009 ( or before!). They got Warren locked up at a hometown discount. If defense wins championships, why not invest long term in cornerstone/keystone/centerstone of your defense?

I think I recall Reiss saying that the pats were offering him considerably less than what Haynesworth got recently, and I don't fault them for that. What I fault them for is not pulling the trigger after they knew what they had in him. They know how important he is to the defense. They knew that Seymour would likely be gone after 2009 ( or before!). They got Warren locked up at a hometown discount. If defense wins championships, why not invest long term in cornerstone/keystone/centerstone of your defense?

You don't fault them for not giving him Haynesworth money. How do you know he wasn't flat out refusing anything less? Maybe he's willing to take less, but wants to see his value on the FA market first?

Again, this is not a case of the Patriots just being able to do it whenever they want. He has to want to sign that contract too. If he doesn't, no deal, not the Pats fault.

Vince will be named an All-Pro and go to the Pro Bowl. He's just gotta be signed by the Pats.

The guy is a stud and all around great player. Defensive tackles are hard to find. Mayo may be the rising star but I haven't seen him make a play this year. Meanwhile Big Vince is up front getting his teeth kicked in every play, and coming back to more.

Only one thing to do with a player like this, totally piss him off by franchising him!

One can't help but think of the mess that the Sox have with Bay now. They failed to sign him during the season and now he has rejected their 4 year $60m offer and is holding out to test FA.

Of course Mayo benefits from Wilfork. I'm not sure why that's relevant to which one I think is the better player. Again, I've always been a huge Wilfork fan, and very much want him to stay. I'm just not sure I'd vote for him as the best defender on the team. Mayo and Meriweather at least deserve consideration.

I think it is relevant because a good DT can make average linebackers look Good and make Good linebackers look Great.

I just think DT's value to the rest of the team are undervalued, that's all.

Something apparently my front office demonstrates.

He's definitely one on my top 3 favorites on the team.

If Wilfork isn't resigned, wouldn't they just franchise him?

FWIW, according to NFL.com, pretty much nobody in the NFL thinks that Wilfork will reach unrestricted free agency this year: either they'll reach a deal, or he'll be franchised.

Also, the Bay situation is a pretty decent comparison: the lines of communication are still open.

Without a doubt. This "Wilfork is gone after this year" stuff the media and some fans have thrown out there is just silly. He's a complete lock to be franchised considering he's easily our best FA and the tag for defensive tackles is a very reasonable number (somewhere between $5M and $6M).

The Patriots franchised Cassel at a cap hit near what; $15M? And he would've been a backup if they couldn't deal him. And some people honestly think they'll let a Pro Bowl NT walk instead of franchising him at a $5M-$6M cap hit? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Like others have mentioned, the franchise number is pretty affordable, so he's not walking for nothing. I hope they sign him to an extension though so he's here for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back