PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Props to Wilfork, cornerstone of the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
umm...yea

the guy needs to be extended.....like right about now

Best player on Defense...Then McG.

Vince has been #1 this season. I wonder if Mayo gets back on track - maybe he's at 80% with his injury, but it's still better than what they've got. The middle has promise : Wilfork, Mayo, Merriweather.

He is so gone after this season. I'd love to hear arguments from the Kool Aid crowd on why it wouldn't have been a good move to sign him to an extension before this season. I'm all ears.

He is so gone after this season. I'd love to hear arguments from the Kool Aid crowd on why it wouldn't have been a good move to sign him to an extension before this season. I'm all ears.

I'm no lawyer or nothin', but last I checked his signature has to be on the contract too.

It would be a shame if Wilfork isnt extended sometime in the near future, Id absolutely hate having to see him in a new uniform, his gut just looks so plump and round in the Pats colors lol. But seriously the guys the best at his position and a genuine great guy off the field.

Does Wilfork make Mayo better? Remember Urlacher when he lost his tackles.

Of course Mayo benefits from Wilfork. I'm not sure why that's relevant to which one I think is the better player. Again, I've always been a huge Wilfork fan, and very much want him to stay. I'm just not sure I'd vote for him as the best defender on the team. Mayo and Meriweather at least deserve consideration.

I would say centrestone not cornerstone.

Of course Mayo benefits from Wilfork. I'm not sure why that's relevant to which one I think is the better player. Again, I've always been a huge Wilfork fan, and very much want him to stay. I'm just not sure I'd vote for him as the best defender on the team. Mayo and Meriweather at least deserve consideration.

An argument could be made for Mayo as the best overall defensive player, as good as Meriweather has became back there; I dont think he has a big as impact as Wilfork does on the field.

Because we have no idea if there will be a cap or not after this season, and if worst comes to worst we can still just franchise him. And we still don't know how much Wilfork is asking for. As good as he's been this year, if he wants substantially more than he's worth to the Pats (and if we're switching to the 4-3 permanently, then his market value as a premium NT will be higher than his Pats value), I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats let him walk. It would be a major blow, but it all depends on how much it'll take to get him signed.

Cap or no cap he is a big time player and deserves to get paid. BB and the front office need to find a way to get enough money together to give him the 8,9,10 million a year he wants because he is worth every penny. I think that this was part of the Seymour trade, they knew there was no way they could keep both after this season so they chose the one they feel is more valuable.

I would say centrestone not cornerstone.

The keystone is what holds a stone arch in place, so probably should call him a keystone. :)

I'm no lawyer or nothin', but last I checked his signature has to be on the contract too.

Apparently you're not very good with economics either. If you sign him to an extension in 2006 or 2007 he'd by signed for several more years at a much cheaper price. By all accounts, the FO didn't even try to extend Wilfork until earlier this year, effectively pricing themselves out of the market given their philosophy of paying players. I doubt they change that philosophy if next year is uncapped.

Apparently you're not very good with economics either. If you sign him to an extension in 2006 or 2007 he'd by signed for several more years at a much cheaper price. By all accounts, the FO didn't even try to extend Wilfork until earlier this year, effectively pricing themselves out of the market given their philosophy of paying players. I doubt they change that philosophy if next year is uncapped.

Link?

10 char.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes