PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Props to Mike Reiss interviewed by Adam Shefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
just adding my 2 cents: Put me down as an avid reader of Reiss, too. As someone else mentioned... on the RARE occasion that he's wrong, he'll come out like a man and admit it... and then move on like it's no big deal (which it isn't if folks handle it the way that he does).

Reiss does a lot more than reporting. He has a weekly mailbag and a weekly chat where he offers up his opinions, additionally, the blog has started updated with videos of his analysis. That's the key word, he provides analysis, yes it's his opinion, but he has no agenda. No one will turn on him b/c he's too reasonable and fair.

Cafardo's, Borges', Felgers, etc., these guys want attention, they want their opinion to stand out, and in some cases, are just bitter old coots. Reiss has earned the fanbases respect, and I don't think he'll lose it any time soon.

Is Carafdo still writing for the Globe? If he is I expect the Drews view of perfection piece any day now...

What I think Mike gets, and I hope he never loses sight of, is that the only opinion real fans want is informed opinion. I want to know what the Pats may be thinking, not what some mediot thinks they should be thinking. That is where the three stooges tripped up. Felger no longer cares because his opinion has landed him lots more voice and face time gigs, and those are a lot more lucrative than print work. The great news this week is Felger seems to have abandoned his WBZ gig in favor of his own CSN show. And Mike R seems to be the Mike F replacement of choice for Lobel. :woohoo:

What I think Mike gets, and I hope he never loses sight of, is that the only opinion real fans want is informed opinion. I want to know what the Pats may be thinking, not what some mediot thinks they should be thinking. That is where the three stooges tripped up. Felger no longer cares because his opinion has landed him lots more voice and face time gigs, and those are a lot more lucrative than print work. The great news this week is Felger seems to have abandoned his WBZ gig in favor of his own CSN show. And Mike R seems to be the Mike F replacement of choice for Lobel. :woohoo:

Very true, but it's not to say Reiss doesn't offer up his own opinion or is always in-line with what the Patriots are thinking. He does provide his own analysis & opinion, but he's just always respectful about it. That's pretty much the key. He never has knee-jerk reactions to things, he always looks at things a second time before coming to a judgment, and puts some thought into it.

It's been a rough couple weeks for Felger. He's been called out by Hobbs, Light and Vrabel, and Light and Vrabel embarrassed him on TV and radio respectively. Hopefully he'll slowly learn there are repercussions for voicing his uninformed, biased and always polarized opinion. Unfortunately, I'm betting he views any attention as good attention.

I always go to Mike's blog if I want an informed, concise bit of information. He does the best job in Boston on the Pats!

I can't wait until Reiss starts writing opinion pieces instead of just reporting on the Patriots beat and everyone turns on him ala Cafardo.
sucks to be you, huh? everyone needs a direction in life. my sympathies.

I used to view it as Reiss = the best at reporting the facts, Breer = the best at analyzing the facts, but Reiss has started to break things down a little more and more, and has made the loss of Breer less noticeable. I still think the Globe was crazy not to try and hire Breer, a Breer-Reiss team reporting on the Pats would be awesome.

As it is, Reiss-Gasper is pretty great. Reiss has really done a great job these past couple years, Pats fans owe him a thanks.

I agree.

I see MR getting better and better on TV and I worry. Are we going to lose him too?

I went to school for journalism and one of the first things you learn is that News should stand on its own. Reiss does a great job of realizing there are tons of football fans in this area and if you give them football to read they will enjoy and come back for more. Thats not say there are not other ways to bring a reader back (Felger and Borges have brought back readers who just want to hear what stupid thing they say next).

His patience when stories break is great, he takes his time and gets things right, rather than always getting things first. That is why a lot of us here don't believe a story until Reiss has it.

As much as I don't wont to see him leave he is someone who is very worthy of a national gig. IMO he wuold have been perfect for the NBC sports.com gig that went to the ProJO writer who's name slips my mind.

I agree.

I see MR getting better and better on TV and I worry. Are we going to lose him too?

I hadn't thought of it...now that you bring it up, man, that would suck. It seems like Reiss really enjoys his job though, so hopefully the Globe compensates his as much as he deserves and we'll have him covering the Pats for a while.

sucks to be you, huh? everyone needs a direction in life. my sympathies.

5000 posts and this is your iceburn?

For all the bandwagon fans you should know that throughout the 90's Cafardo was the Patriots' beat guy and everyone loved him because he only reported the facts just like Reiss does. Eventually Reiss will want to make a name for himself and in the media that doesn't come by consistently being positive eventually he'll have to take a controversial stance on something to drum up attention.

Point is-don't take it personally like people did with Cafardo.

I still think the Globe was crazy not to try and hire Breer

Who says they didn't try?

I can't blame the Boston media for Breer jumping on a huge move up from the dinky MetroWest to the Dallas Morning News, a paper with a bigger circulation than the Globe in a city where the NFL team reigns supreme and unchallenged.

In general, the smaller papers in this area have done a tremendous job of finding football writing talent destined for bigger things: Reiss, Breer, Curran as prime examples.

5000 posts and this is your iceburn?

For all the bandwagon fans you should know that throughout the 90's Cafardo was the Patriots' beat guy and everyone loved him because he only reported the facts just like Reiss does. Eventually Reiss will want to make a name for himself and in the media that doesn't come by consistently being positive eventually he'll have to take a controversial stance on something to drum up attention.

Point is-don't take it personally like people did with Cafardo.

Point is that you are talking out your arse because Mike Reiss is making a name for himself for doing what he is doing. He won't have to become a talking head like Cafardo to "make a name for himself." And sorry, but I never EVER felt that Cafardo was all that.

And your a fool for believing that Reiss will ever have to "drum up attention." Reiss gets attention because he reports the facts and doesn't have to stoop to flawed attempts of making himself look smarter than the coach or the personnel staff.

Reiss HAS stated his opinions, but he's back it up with fact and not taken an attitude about it if he's been wrong. Those are parts that you fail to understand and why you sound like a fool. Because those are the things that makes Reiss who he is.

And, as I said, I never felt Cafardo was as good as Reiss. In fact, Cafardo is probably in the Double A league compared to Reiss being in the Majors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes