PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Props to Arrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I thought he looked really good in man coverage.

I thought this would say props to Arrington for the dumbest penalty of the year.

He has played very well. If he had been fully healthy against GB, I think it would have been quite different.

He has played very well. If he had been fully healthy against GB, I think it would have been quite different.

I agree, that's why i'm confident that if we play GB in the SB that we can shut them down (or at the very least contain Rodgers)

I agree, that's why i'm confident that if we play GB in the SB that we can shut them down (or at the very least contain Rodgers)

If Arrington can cover Cobb then you have Revis and Browner to deal with Nelson and Adams. Much harder for Rodgers to find a favorable matchup.

Bill Barnwell has come a long way from being the worst writer on footballoutsiders, but he rails against Arrington every chance he gets. Even put him in his "worst contracts in the league" article a few months back.

Not that I was especially thrilled at the contract myself, but Bill, do you recall a fella by the name of Logan Mankins? Do you really think Kyle somehow earned exempt status from those kinds of maneuvers?

If Arrington can cover Cobb then you have Revis and Browner to deal with Nelson and Adams. Much harder for Rodgers to find a favorable matchup.

Agreed, but my guess is that we go with a 2 deep safety with Revis staying on Jordy and Browner/Arrington moving around or playing a bit more zone.

I thought this would say props to Arrington for the dumbest penalty of the year.

An idiotic penalty for sure (and I was actually just as mad at everyone else on that defense for handing San Diego 10-15 yards on the run itself), but it really was the only negative play Arrington had in the whole game. Given you expect teams to look away from Revis, and sometimes Browner, the 3rd CB should be seeing a lot of action on this defense. Last night Rivers didn't even have that.

Dumb penalty aside, Arrington has been fine this year. QB's are competing 51% of their passes vs him (Revis is 44%) for a QB rating of 78. Not bad at all.

Collins has a 64 rating against...WOW!

Bill Barnwell has come a long way from being the worst writer on footballoutsiders, but he rails against Arrington every chance he gets. Even put him in his "worst contracts in the league" article a few months back.

Not that I was especially thrilled at the contract myself, but Bill, do you recall a fella by the name of Logan Mankins? Do you really think Kyle somehow earned exempt status from those kinds of maneuvers?

I HATED the Arrington contract, especially coming in an off-season where CBs didn't get big contracts. I remember ranting vehemently to Grid about it.

The forum consensus is that Arrington would be a cap casualty, either in 2015 or 2016. He's only 28. I'm wondering whether it's more likely that he gets a restructure with an extension for another year or two.

I HATED the Arrington contract, especially coming in an off-season where CBs didn't get big contracts. I remember ranting vehemently to Grid about it.

The forum consensus is that Arrington would be a cap casualty, either in 2015 or 2016. He's only 28. I'm wondering whether it's more likely that he gets a restructure with an extension for another year or two.

I have a hard time thinking of players that I actually want gone who aren't likely to be pushed out by rookies next year anyways. :)

I'm guessing (obviously), but I think that Belichick appreciated the fact that he thought that Arrington was extremely versatile and could play both inside and outside--in a pinch, if needed. He also offers ST value that is relatively strong, in my opinion. I also think it may have had something to do with a somewhat shakier group of CBs that we had at the time, and the possibility exists that BB didn't want to leave the cupboard totally bare as far as not having anyone with experience in the system.

I still think it was a bit of a pricey contract, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have thought that much of it had it been a million less AAV per year. I suppose that makes Arrington overpaid by about 25%? If so, I certainly get where the controversy comes in, but I also trust in Belichick's decisions very greatly. It will be interesting to see how this ends, at ctpatsfan77 said.

Well if they cut him it'll be a $3.2m hit in 2015 and $1.625 and a $1.3m savings in 2015. His cap # for 2015 is $4.6m. That seems a little high but he plays STs and backs up a number of positions in the secondary.

We have two awesome corners and an excellent slot back.

It is not clear that Belichick has much faith in the backups. After all, Tavon Wilson is preferred as a dime back over any of the three backup corners. And when Chung is pulled in clear passing downs, it is Harmon that is preferred.

It is not clear that Belichick has much faith in the backups. After all, Tavon Wilson is preferred as a dime back over any of the three backup corners. And when Chung is pulled in clear passing downs, it is Harmon that is preferred.

THIS game. Last game was different, the game before as well. Next game will probably be different.

Arrington is good in the slot against a true slot WR. He is a consummate professional that's all I can really say about him. He doesn't do anything great but he shows up and competes.

San Diego uses a lot of 2 TE sets with Gates and Green, it made sense to use Wilson on one of them it is a better matchup than Ryan, Dennard, or Butler.

Yeah big props to Arrington. He's been a beast this season. Also I wonder if Logan Ryan didn't play because of last week's performance or simply because they didn't need him. He had a really really bad game vs GB, hoping he can rebound because I still think he's a quality player.

2013 Arrington was doing great work until his groin injury. Then the play faded because it limited him.

The Pats vs Packers game is different if Arrington plays the first half over Ryan. The trio of Revis, Browner, Arrington was dominating up to that game. The sudden insertion of Ryan as CB3 was odd. Makes you wonder....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes