PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Proper Compensation for a Mankins trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Eyes

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm tired of the guy and am wondering if the cost/benefit ratio actually wouldnt be better if we sent him packing. Assuming we just traded him for picks, what could we get for him on the open market?

Long story short, I'm tired of the guy and am wondering if the cost/benefit ratio actually wouldnt be better if we sent him packing. Assuming we just traded him for picks, what could we get for him on the open market?

I assume you mean you're tired of the distraction regarding his contract. If you actually want Mankins off the team. . . . :eek:

First round pick

First round pick

My thoughts, too. There is a snowball's chance in hell of him staying here beyond this year so keeping him around as part of a long term plan isn't in the picture. Get what you can for him and move on.

Mankins is a 1st round pick all day long..........

Mankins is a 1st round pick all day long..........

You won't get a 1st round pick for him maybe a 2nd if your lucky. The point is he is worth more to you so why give him away. We now know BB has tried hard to sign him but the management doesn't want to give up the bonus money at some point this way of doing business will and maybe is catching up to them. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when over the last few years they have filled their roster with 2nd round picks talented but not stars. So now what will they do IMO i would use their two 3rds two better their first four picks and try to hit home runs in other words playmakers and game breakers they have the ammo. We can't keep letting quality players go for draft picks "cheaper" seems to be their MO not BB the Krafts.

I think you'd have a very hard time getting a 2011 first rounder from him, and if you did, it'd probably be a late one. Would you give Mankins to the Steelers, Colts, Packers, etc for a late 1st?

I'd rather have Mankins for a half season and let him walk in 2012 than trade him. He's not worth more than a 2nd in trade compensation (if even that) and a 2nd round pick is no sure thing.

A healthy Mankins rejoining the line come week 9...well, we saw what that can do for the offense. This team has gotta build to win now, before Brady ages and Welker, Mayo, McCourty, Vollmer reach free agency.

A second, hes a bit overrated and guards aren't the most important position on the OL.

I wouldn't be shocked if we only get a low 2nd early 3rd.. He's not a LT, if he was, I'd say 1st easy.. But a guard.. Umm.. No..plus he's looking for bank.. No team is going to give up a high pick, plus the salary for him..

If he doesn't want to sign and we can trade him, we need to let him go.. Better to get something for him now then wait a couple of years for a 3rd rounder.. Use that money else where..

edit** Let me add to this.. Yes, the line played better as the season went on but he didn't make a difference vs the Jets in the playoff game.. Very much like the Giants and Ravens playoff games.. Mankins doesn't win us games.. I rather move on..

Last edited:
1st and 3rd minimum.

2012 1st round pick from a foolhardy NFC playoff contender/hopeful...

I recall the conversations about the compensation for Cassel and people really over rated his worth. We need to compare previous trades and use that as a base line.
Seymour fetched us a 1st round pick 2 years later.. So Mankins is worth more than a future HOF?

In the past five years, what player who plays OL (i'm being general) has been traded to another team and what was the compensation..

Honestly, I don't recall any (of course my brain is fried from studying 1's and 0's)..

I recall the conversations about the compensation for Cassel and people really over rated his worth. We need to compare previous trades and use that as a base line.
Seymour fetched us a 1st round pick 2 years later.. So Mankins is worth more than a future HOF?

In the past five years, what player who plays OL (i'm being general) has been traded to another team and what was the compensation..

Honestly, I don't recall any (of course my brain is fried from studying 1's and 0's)..

This is closer to the Branch situation than to Cassel's.

Well you gotta pay too so it wont be a first. And we wont take a 3rd because we should get a comp pick if he walks. The ideal is a 2nd, but there is a good choice there are no takers and we recind the tag.

1st and 3rd minimum.

Always the optimist Box, and I love it!

I cannot say that I agree that we would even get a 2nd and a 3rd together, let alone a 1st and a 3rd. He is a guard, not Larry Fitzgerald. Thinking that we would get a 1st alone, let alone a 1st AND a 3rd is wishful thinking, IMO, but as always, I listen closely and respect your opinion. (and pretty much all here) I believe that Mankins has the most value to our team, and that the gap may be a bit wider than he/some of us tend to believe. As another pointed out, can you think of too many guards who have demanded 1st rd picks in a trade? Of course there's always room to break the trend, but I'd be damn surprised if we really picked up a 1st for Mankins--although pleasantly surprised ;)

I think the general consensus is that we would get a 2nd round pick, and I would agree with that wholeheartedly, although some are thinking a high 3rd. Personally, I wouldn't deal him unless it were for a 2nd rd pick, and a lot of posters have a very valid point when considering that a 2012 2nd rd pick is nice, but the window to win now is closing, and maybe a little faster than we want to admit.

Moss is gone, Welker is in the last year, Light, Mankins (maybe?) this year. Vollmer, Koppen next year, Meriweather will be gone one way or another after this season in a best case scenario. Kazcur, Neal are gonzo, possibly Faulk too. Branch should be able to contribute in a way that he did last year, as long as he can hold up injury-wise. Bodden and Warren coming back from serious injuries, some other guys on the D line. The linebacker position and pass rush situation has been a problem---And I am sorry if I am seeming negative, b/c I do not really mean to. I honestly believe that we have one hell of a good chance at restoring the defense this year, and continuing to be a force on offense, but on the other hand, I do believe that the window is closing, and the absolute best approach would be to take a good shot this year and next.

That said, I am very impressed by some of the personnel decisions/stockpiling of draft picks to keep us competitive in the future, but there's no doubt, the time to win is right now, even if that sounds a bit cliche.

Another question or thought would be trading him for a player, although that's a very grey area, and we'd never be able to agree on who--specifically, as there are too many variables.

Well you gotta pay too so it wont be a first. And we wont take a 3rd because we should get a comp pick if he walks. The ideal is a 2nd, but there is a good choice there are no takers and we recind the tag.

There is no chance in hell that we recind the tag and why would we?

He will sign here, With the cap going down there are going to be even less teams interested in paying 8mill a year for a guard.

This is closer to the Branch situation than to Cassel's.

I see where u r aiming but Branch and Cassel play skill positions, Mankins doesnt

Last edited:
If we just let Mankins go, we'd get a 2012 third-rounder for him. So that's where negotiations would start -- the Patriots have to get better than a third for there even to be a conversation.

On the other hand, the team trading for him would only be getting the right to sign him for one year at $10 million, and even in that case he's not a guarantee to sign the tender right away. Which diminishes his value.

My guess is that his value is somewhere in the mid-2nd round range, and that has to be tempting to Belichick. You could end up with four inexpensive years of a 2nd-round guard as opposed to one controversy-laden year with a Pro Bowler you're going to lose eventually anyway. Then again, if you keep him around for 2011, you still end up getting that third-rounder for him, only you're getting it in 2013 now.

I'd trade him if they can get a first, but hold on to him otherwise.

If we just let Mankins go, we'd get a 2012 third-rounder for him. So that's where negotiations would start -- the Patriots have to get better than a third for there even to be a conversation.

On the other hand, the team trading for him would only be getting the right to sign him for one year at $10 million, and even in that case he's not a guarantee to sign the tender right away. Which diminishes his value.

My guess is that his value is somewhere in the mid-2nd round range, and that has to be tempting to Belichick. You could end up with four inexpensive years of a 2nd-round guard as opposed to one controversy-laden year with a Pro Bowler you're going to lose eventually anyway. Then again, if you keep him around for 2011, you still end up getting that third-rounder for him, only you're getting it in 2013 now.

I'd trade him if they can get a first, but hold on to him otherwise.

I agree on your assessment about receiving a comp pick but I don't think we'll be letting him go his year.. So if we keep him one more year, I believe that comp pick won't be until 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes