Welcome to PatsFans.com

Prop 8 in Maine?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 19, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The Associated Press: Maine gay marriage foes hire Calif. Prop 8 firm

Are MA and NY next in line?:D CA is a good example!
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Quick Qustion for you, NEP and the other opponents of "Gay Marriage":

Are you also for or against states such as NH, that allow peopole to marry as young as 14? Technically speaking two 14 year old boys in Nashua can get married with parental consent.

and are you willing to combat suchg laws in such states as North Carolina, NH and Minnesota?

Whats worse....the 14 year old wedding, or the GAY wedding?
  3. mack207

mack207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

CA is a horrible example, Prop 8 will get repealed in the near future (if not by the courts then by public vote) and more and more states will begin to join this civil rights movement to allow gay marriage.
  4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The answer is YES. 14 is too young to get marriage.

As a REAL MAN, you only get marriage after having a college degree and good job. How can you support yourself, wife, and 2 kids when you have a sh!tty job?

If you have a kid and can't take care of him, why do you do it? As a good husband, i don't like to depend on my wife to help me out because it's not right. It's simply stupid. I see a lot of dumb kids doing that nowsday and it's quite sad.
  5. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's only in your wildest dream.:singing::singing::singing:
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The courts have upheld it for now. It passed 52-48 which is a solid margin, though no guarantee it couldn't be different next time. As for comparing this to a real civil right movement, that is a total joke; if we were banning gay behavior you'd have a point but banning societal approval of this behavior is totally different. Some of us don't want the government telling our kids this behavior is alright.
  7. mack207

mack207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The courts have upheld it so far but they are getting consistent challenges to it's constitutional legitimacy, including challenges from the Governor and the Attorney General.

Like I said, it will either be overturned in the courts, or by a public vote, and it will happen in the next few years. It passed thanks to a massive misinformation campaign that was more effective than the Prop 8 opponents thought it would be.

This is absolutely a real civil rights movement. These people are being denied more than 1,000 rights afforded to married couples based solely on their sexual orientation. I don't really care if you don't want the government to support it, I'd bet there were plenty of people in the 50s who didn't want the government telling their children that it was okay for black people to marry white people, but that changed and this will too.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We have discussed this ad nauseum so I'll just say that most of the "rights" aren't needed for gay couples as they generally don't have kids and there's generally not a non working "spouse". And, again, what about polygamy ? If I can marry a man why can't I have a wife and a husband ?
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

word!

we agree..
  10. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Does it mean that i'm not a racist and Obama hater?
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I believe you need to reflect on that question by yourself. Take some crayons, and watercolors and create a work of art that best describes how YOU think YOU would answer that question.
  12. mack207

mack207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First of all, I'm not sure where you're getting your figures, because numbers for same-sex couple adoptions and children by artificial insemination/surrogates are notoriously difficult to get since the US Census has, in the past, refused to recognize same-sex couples as a legitimate demographic. Gay couples have long had a very difficult time in this area because in many states they either aren't allowed to adopt, or if one partner has a baby through artificial insemination/a surrogate the other partner in the couple is not able to be legally recognized as a parent of the resulting child. I certainly don't believe, however, that it's accurate to say that "most" gay couples don't have children.

Gay couples are denied hospital visitation rights, adoption rights, can't act as the next of kin for their partner's biological child, can't share the tax benefits that married couples share, etc.

Also, polygamy changes the number of people entering into the marriage contract. It's a completely separate issue that people who oppose gay marriage like to throw around because they think that the argument somehow "supports" their bigotry.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Who cares if it changes the number ? Anyway, how about my civil rights to marry my brother (if I had one). 2 people. There's a bunch of examples. I believe gays would have a lot less animosity towards them if they accepted that they don't need to get married.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I Now Pronounce You Man And Man

"whos that good looking guy over there"
    "thats Arthurs wife"
  15. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I know the answer for my question but It's too bad that you don't like what you see from me.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  16. mack207

mack207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ahh yes, now we're getting into the "slippery slope" argument. What's next?! Men marrying their dogs?!

In reference to the number of people entering into a marriage contract, it creates legal issues which are completely separate from the gay marriage debate. As one writer notes:

Personally, I'm not very morally opposed to polygamy. I do think that there are some major legal issues involved, but the actual practice of polygamy, so long as it is between consenting adults, doesn't inherently bother me.

The incest argument is no more relative to gay marriage than it is to heterosexual marriage. The most frequently reported cases of incest are between fathers and underage daughters, and cases of consensual adult incest are quite rare. Other than the increased likelihood for genetic deformities in the resulting children of an incestual relationship, the largest issue is the fact that the majority of incestual relationships involve children and therefore become issues of intrafamilial child sexual abuse. It's worth noting though, that incest (often between cousins) is not illegal in all countries, and that countries who have legalized gay marriage have not made steps towards also legalizing incest.

I don't understand why gay people should have to sacrifice their rights as Americans just because you don't like the idea of them being married.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

you know...I'm playin' ...right?
  18. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Why do people want to be 'gay'?