PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projecting the Pats' talent next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "all caps nonsense" was to counter your ability to cherry-pick posts. Does this sounds familiar?

"Aiken did a fine job considering he is a ST guy that was forced into action."

"If you think Aiken did a fine job, you are crazy. He sucks."

You say you understand the context of the situation but I don't even think you understand what "context" means. Your repeated point (in caps) is completely lacking context. It equates the situation last year to Belichick building a team with Aiken 3rd on the depth chart.

You apparently think "in context" only refers specifically to your comments, when the same application applies to the comments of others. Your "all caps nonsense" was exactly that. In fact, you were the one who tried to insert the special teams argument in a response to me, when I'd not yet brought it up. In other words, you were trying to alter the thrust of the conversation by altering the "in context" aspect of the discussion to suit your position. I simply did not go down that road with you.

First you question how I could possibly know the depth chart and then you definitively state that you know the depth chart. Is that lost on you?

Ahhh..... Mr. "in context" can't seem to grasp the notion of "in context". Thanks for the irony. Let's repeat, shall we:

When did Belichick share his depth chart with you? Last season, Aiken was WR3, not Tate. Last season, Patten was at home while Aiken was the team's WR3. "Right now", and until we hear differently, Aiken is the team's WR3.

The CONTEXT of my post makes my statement of the depth chart accurate.

So please explain to us what a WR3 is in your world. It doesn't mean he was the 3rd best WR since Moss, Welker and Edelman were clearly better. It doesn't mean he got the 3rd most starts or receptions since Edelman did that...even though Edelman was hurt for several games. After the bye, Tate was running in the spread right along with Aiken (after just coming off PUP) before he got hurt. You can't mean that Aiken was intended to be the WR3 since that clearly was Galloway until week 4. Yet you can definitively say that Aiken being the 3rd WR in 2009 is an absolute truth and beyond dispute. Interesting.

1.) Edelman racked up his reception numbers while substituting for Welker in the slot (18 catches in the Jets and Texans games while replacing Welker, which was just about half of his 37 overall receptions, and another 3 receptions in the other game Welker missed, against Atlanta, meaning that more than half of his catches came specifically when he was in for an injured Welker. His only other big reception day was the laugher of a game against Tennessee, when he had another 6 catches, meaning 27 of his 37 catches were in those 4 games). He was not piling up the numbers on the outside. Aiken was the 2nd outside receiver, Edelman was mostly WR4, a/k/a Welker's backup.

2.) Tate ran a few routes and found himself on the IR. He never supplanted Aiken. I certainly hope that Tate, or someone else, knocks Aiken out of the WR3 position for the upcoming season. Frankly, I'd like to see Mr. Aiken end up as no higher than WR6.

3.) I know full well that Galloway was originally supposed to be the WR3 for the team, and he started in that position to begin the season. How does that have any impact on who ended up being the team's WR3? Did the season end with Galloway's last start?

Go ahead and bash Aiken all you want. He isn't a very good receiver. Bash Belichick for thinking Galloway was going to work at WR3. Or for drafting Tate. Or for not picking up a replacement (like???) when Galloway crapped the bed. But if you are going to call Aiken the 3rd WR last year, this year or any year, expect to get called on it.

Aiken was the team's WR3 for almost every game last season. You can talk about the WHY of it, but that doesn't change the reality of it.

I agree with your analysis of the defense. I exoect us to sign a free agent (perhaps Burgess), draft a DE replacement for Green (really for Seymour) and an OLB. The kids should improve and make the defense better than last year. Some would say think that the bar needs to be set higher, but I think that you are realistic. In addition to the two rookies, we will also be adding McKenzie.

The defense I think will be improved even if left as it is. Mayo should be better at full strength and the youngsters all have a year under their belt. Plus BB is going to focus more on defense. I still would like to see a DE and OLB added through draft.

A) Yes, a healthy Brady will help and an injured Welker will hurt, compared to 2010 production.

B) While I would be fine with an OL addition, we have more important NEEDS to address in the draft, in addition the expected OLB and DE. It pains me to go into the draft with so many critical needs.

C) We probably have three draft picks in the first four rounds for the offense. We need use them well. IF there are no free agent pickups or trades, we need a TE, a WR, and a RB. And if we still have holes after the draft, Bob Kraft has asssured us that we will be able to get adsditional help from the cuts of solid veterans after the draft.
=======================

My bottom line is that Belichick has taught us to be much more cautious than going into the draft with FIVE needs and expect to fill them with 2010 contributers. And that does not even count the hope for upgrades at ILB or OG or C or OT.

The REALITY for me is that we need a DE, an OLB, a WR, a TE and a RB (I don't count punters).

On offense we clearly have a need at WR, 2 with Welker's season in doubt. I'd like to see one vet pickup such as Reed/TO/Coles and another wideout drafted. If Tate is healthy that at least helps us at WR4 and KR, and could be the #3 option we're looking for too. TE is a need but we haven't got great production from the TE in recent years anyways, not even in the SB years. I wouldn't mind another cheap pickup or day 2/3 pick.

This team wasn't all too far away from being a 14-2 team last year. That's with Brady coming off a major injury and a completely rebuilt defense. I expect both to improve this season, but WR really needs to be addressed.

1.) Edelman racked up his reception numbers while substituting for Welker in the slot (18 catches in the Jets and Texans games while replacing Welker, . . .
Hey, that's not a negative; it's great news!

Based on those numbers we can expect Edelman to have 144 receptions as a full-time starter!

Okay, WR problem is solved; now on to that nasty pass rush issue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back