PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projecting the cap hits for the draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff Miguel...as always!!!!

Just out of curiousity, why $500k for Jackson only?

pats1 said:
I agree i think Jackson gets a bit more.

pats1 said:

Last year Mankins at 32 had a 1st year cap hit of $1,030,000. Mankins had a $230,000 salary and a $350,000 roster bonus. Instead trying to make a guess at both figures, I decided to take a stab at one.

Miguel said:
Last year Mankins at 32 had a 1st year cap hit of $1,030,000. Mankins had a $230,000 salary and a $350,000 roster bonus. Instead trying to make a guess at both figures, I decided to take a stab at one.

But is there any reason that Jackson would get a higher salary than Maroney (anything to do with the contract length limits?)

pats1 said:
But is there any reason that Jackson would get a higher salary than Maroney (anything to do with the contract length limits?)

Yes. Plus, I think that Maroney will get a two-tiered bonus whil Jackson will get a single singing bonus.

I thought the cap hits for the rookies would be a little higher. What escalation factor are you anticipating? As much as the increase in the total cap, given the big bump?

The salary cap went from about $85.5mm 2005 to $102.5mm 2006, or 20%.

Last year's #21, Matt Jones, had a contract with a $1.260 cap hit, by my recollection.

You're projecting Maroney at $1.3mm. But if the rookie cap goes up by that same 20%, Maroney would be around $1.5mm.

Similar questions on Jackson, who I thought would be at least $1mm.

Urgent said:
Last year's #21, Matt Jones, had a contract with a $1.260 cap hit, by my recollection.

You're projecting Maroney at $1.3mm. But if the rookie cap goes up by that same 20%, Maroney would be around $1.5mm.
I doubt the rookie cap went up by 20%. I don't think it is a fixed percentage of the cap, and I think both the NFL and the NFLPA are trying to lower rookie salaries, so it is likely they rookie cap went up very little.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
I doubt the rookie cap went up by 20%. I don't think it is a fixed percentage of the cap, and I think both the NFL and the NFLPA are trying to lower rookie salaries, so it is likely they rookie cap went up very little.

It went up by 5%.

Made a couple of changes. Structured Maroney's deal like Matt Jones's deal - no 1st year signing bonus. Structured Jackson's deal like Mankins' - some salary and some roster bonus and a signing bonus.

Also added the Patriots' rookie pool number.

Miguel said:
It went up by 5%.

Wow. That's quite a change in approach. That will create a much bigger difference between most rookie compensation deals - other than the top eight or ten - and most veterans.

Just so I understand, Miguel, did the rookie minimum salaries go up by 5% (which is perfectly understandable) or did the entire allocated rookie caps go up by 5% - curtailing bonuses?

Thanks.

Urgent said:
Wow. That's quite a change in approach. That will create a much bigger difference between most rookie compensation deals - other than the top eight or ten - and most veterans.

You are speaking to the converted. The salary cap goes up by 20%. The rookie pool goes up by 5%.

Just so I understand, Miguel, did the rookie minimum salaries go up by 5% (which is perfectly understandable)

The minimum salaries went up by $40,000 for every experience level.

235,000 to 275,000

or did the entire allocated rookie caps go up by 5% - curtailing bonuses?

Thanks.

The entire allocated rookie cap went up by 5% which will end up curtailing bonuses.

One other question: if each rookie is guaranteed $275K in salary, how is the total salary for 10 players only $2,475K (i.e., $275K x 9)?

ctpatsfan77 said:
One other question: if each rookie is guaranteed $275K in salary, how is the total salary for 10 players only $2,475K (i.e., $275K x 9)?

Because I made a mistake;)

Mistake corrected.

Thanks so much

7/11 Projection of the cap hits for the draft picks

http://www.patscap.com/draftpicks.htm

Updated to account for the Andrews signing.
Lowered projections for Jackson, Mincey, and O'Callaghan in light of signings around their respective draft slots.

Just curous about the Maroney projection..no signing bonus?? Just curious how Matt Jones's deal was..similar??? Do you have any idea who the agents are that these 9 have?? THAT may be most interesting...

Pats726 said:
Just curous about the Maroney projection..no signing bonus?? Just curious how Matt Jones's deal was..similar??? Do you have any idea who the agents are that these 9 have?? THAT may be most interesting...

...Miguel does project Maroney receiving a signing bonus...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey