PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projecting Monday's Offensive Line Without Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Connolly seems likely to be out (we'll know more by Saturday).

Fleming is likely to be our 3rd TE and emergency backup at OT.
=======================================
Solder-Cannon-Stork-(Wendell or Kline or Devey)-Vollmer

Kline, maybe hold off Stork in Arrowhead with a weak set of guards as well. A rookie in his first start, in a bad situation, is not a good idea. Wendell at guard, in pass protection, is terrifying.

This is a Charlie Weiss game, quality game planning and very good play calling or we're dead (Jim).

Kline, maybe hold off Stork in Arrowhead with a weak set of guards as well. A rookie in his first start, in a bad situation, is not a good idea. Wendell at guard, in pass protection, is terrifying.

This is a Charlie Weiss game, quality game planning and very good play calling or we're dead (Jim).

Good point on the stork. There hands might be forced though.

Honestly....this is going to be extremely unpopular with the fans and posters, but I think Wendell plays center again since he's healthy, at least until Stork is totally ready to take over.

In normal circumstances that would mean Connelly moves back to RG, but in this situation with the foot injury, who knows?

From the current injury report difficult to tell the likelihood, however will know more this afternoon...

IMO Wendell back to center, Kline at guard... unless Stork has somehow made up all the lost time he had in TC.....

I'd go for broke and try Solder-Cannon-Stork-Fleming-Vollmer. But I doubt BB will do that.

I'd probably swap Solder and Vollmer as well, hoping that he won't play like a turnstile at RT.

anything that gets Devey out of the lineup. I would try Kline instead of him if they want to keep the same lineup and have stork learn a little more.

ps, can anyone tell me WHY they went with devey instead of Kline? from what I remember he was one of the top backup linemen last season, and played pretty well when given the chance. Yet we have to suffer through "I dont know what im doing" devey

I'd probably swap Solder and Vollmer as well, hoping that he won't play like a turnstile at RT.

The more people you swap, the less likelihood there is of it working.

Connolly seems likely to be out (we'll know more by Saturday).

Fleming is likely to be our 3rd TE and emergency backup at OT.
=======================================
Solder-Cannon-Stork-(Wendell or Kline or Devey)-Vollmer

Why is Connolly likely out? Because he was limited in practice? He played every snap on Sunday. So whatever his injury is wasn't bad enough to make him miss any snaps.

I'd say he is likely to play, but there is a chance he won't.

I'd go for broke and try Solder-Cannon-Stork-Fleming-Vollmer. But I doubt BB will do that.

I'd rather: Solder-Fleming-Stork-Cannon/Vollmer-Cannon/Vollmer

This is the most intriguing lineup, and I hope that through the course of the season we will get there. The sooner, the better.

That being said, for monday I am afraid that we will see: Solder-Devey-Wendell-Cannon-Vollmer.

I hate it, but given the circumstances (MNF, Arrowhead..) I think that BB et al will put a premium on the fact that those players have been playing together for a while. Maybe, we will see Kline instead of Devey but who knows if this will end up making any difference.

Now, for all games after KC I am pretty confident that we will see Stork starting. But I think it will take another meltdown on Monday to see him out there sooner.

Of course, I would love to be wrong.

Why is Connolly likely out? Because he was limited in practice? He played every snap on Sunday. So whatever his injury is wasn't bad enough to make him miss any snaps.

I'd say he is likely to play, but there is a chance he won't.
I was wondering the same thing and agree with you. At this point, I'm thinking Connolly is playing on Monday night.

BTW, my projected Monday night line up will be (from left to right):

Solder - Kline - Wendell - CONNOLLY - Vollmer

I think they are going to make massive changes. I think Wendell gets the start because first the o-line wasn't bad before he went out in Miami and second they need an experienced center to handle the silent snap count and communicate the adjustments in a loud enviroment.

Last edited:

I think they are going to make massive changes. I think Wendell gets the start because first the o-line wasn't bad before he went out in Miami and second they need an experienced center to handle the silent snap count.

this is what I think they will go with. no way they want to throw stork in there in a loud environment like that. it also gets devey off the field.

Just odd.
It was only a few years ago the Patriots went through four centers in a season without a hitch.
Played Super Bowls with Hochstein and Ashworth and so forth.

I think they are going to make massive changes. I think Wendell gets the start because first the o-line wasn't bad before he went out in Miami and second they need an experienced center to handle the silent snap count and communicate the adjustments in a loud enviroment.

I think that would be a disaster. Dontari Poe will eat Wendell alive.

Normally I agree with you on pretty much everything, but honestly BB would be nuts to sign off on that lineup. We may have reservations about Storks' mental preparedness, but physically he at least offers the potential of holding up in the middle of the line. What good is Wendell's experience when, at best, he'll provide a speed bump between Poe and Brady.

I think that would be a disaster. Dontari Poe will eat Wendell alive.

Poe had a good game vs. Miami, but he has not been that good this year. In fact, their d-line has been a weakness this year considering how bad they suck vs. the run (22nd in total yards and 26th in yards per attempt). In fact, their pass defense is pretty bad with the 27th worst opposing QB passer rating.

Last edited:

With the Defenses we are going to face in the upcoming weeks it's good that the future C Bryan Stork is getting valuable playing time now...I don't see a downside Brady's needs time in the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes