PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projected 2010 Tag Amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to have included tagged players in his calculation. I thought they did not count tagged players when making the calculation.

Wilfork at DT is a reasonable Franchise Tag.

I would love to see Karlos Dansby become a FA and somehow get signed by the Pats. I know it's an incredibly long shot, but I think he would bring terrific leadership to the D and solidify the middle. Dansby at SILB and Mayo at WILB, behind Wilfork, would be outstanding.

Just dreaming.

QB Matt Cassel $15,200,000

Ouch !!!

Also ... we have 2 players Brady and Moss out of the 66 players on that page.

Last edited:
What is the rule for franchising a player who has previously been tagged, such as Peppers or Dansby? Isn't it a % of their current franchise value?

120 percent.

120 percent.

Thanks. That's what I thought. So it would cost Arizona around $12M to franchise Dansby. I hear rumors that Arizona will let him hit the market this offseason.

Thanks. That's what I thought. So it would cost Arizona around $12M to franchise Dansby. I hear rumors that Arizona will let him hit the market this offseason.

Asomugha making 60% on Assante Samuel and less than half of Bailey just seems wrong.

That's because the rule is slightly more complex than what Miguel says.(+)

The franchise number is either the average of the top 5 players' salaries at that position from the previous year, or 120% of the player's own salary from the previous year, whichever is higher(*). . . .

unless that is the third time a team franchises a player. In that case, it's the higher of 120% of the player's own salary from the previous year, or the highest franchise number at any position(**). . . .

and Dansby has already been franchised twice by the Cardinals. Thus it would cost not $12M but the $16.4M for quarterbacks.

(+)It's actually even more complex than what I present here, but I'm not going into details irrelevant to explaining the rumors.
(*)This is why Julius Peppers' franchise tag was so high this year.
(**)Nevertheless, the CBA allows a player to sign for 120% of his prior-year salary, even if he is entitled to more money. I do not believe that has ever happened.

Last edited:
That's because the rule is slightly more complex than what Miguel says.(+)

The franchise number is either the average of the top 5 players' salaries at that position from the previous year, or 120% of the player's own salary from the previous year, whichever is higher(*). . . .

unless that is the third time a team franchises a player. In that case, it's the higher of 120% of the player's own salary from the previous year, or the highest franchise number at any position(**). . . .

and Dansby has already been franchised twice by the Cardinals. Thus it would cost not $12M but the $16.4M for quarterbacks.

(+)It's actually even more complex than what I present here, but I'm not going into details irrelevant to explaining the rumors.
(*)This is why Julius Peppers' franchise tag was so high this year.
(**)Nevertheless, the CBA allows a player to sign for 120% of his prior-year salary, even if he is entitled to more money. I do not believe that has ever happened.

Thanks for the clarification. I had read that it would cost Arizona close to $17M to franchise Dansby, but hadn't understood where that number came from.

Sounds like Dansby will be a FA if he's not signed to a long term deal by Arizona.

Besides Wilfork, Dansby is the other big name that could interest Belichick.

Because of the likelihood of an uncapped 2010 season, only six-year players with expiring contracts will become unrestricted free agents. (Three-, four- and five-year players on the market will become restricted free agents.) Here are 20 guys to keep an eye on, including Cardinals linebacker Carlos Dansby.

Rex Grossman
Adewale Ogunleye
Stephen Neal
Ryan Clark
Richard Seymour
Eugene Amano
Vince Wilfork
Keith Bulluck
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Dunta Robinson
Chad Clifton
Bobbie Williams
Chad Pennington
Casey Hampton
Leigh Bodden
Aaron Kampman
Julius Peppers
LaDainian Tomlinson
Antonio Bryant
Karlos Dansby

Karlos Dansby, LB - NFL Potential Free Agents - Photos - SI.com

He needs to have a long chat with his agent.

His deal is worth $45M over three years, requires that they pay him at least the QB franchise number the third year, and IIRC he can't be franchised at the end.

Asomugha making 60% on Assante Samuel and less than half of Bailey just seems wrong.

He isn't. The numbers there are cap numbers. Manning isn't making $21M this season, he's making $14M or so. Brady isn't making $14M this season, he's making $8M or so.

Asomugha's deal is huge and short term (3 years voidable to 2) with $28M guaranteed and he's a UFA and untaggable in 2012 if they don't pay him at least $16.8M or the QB tag rate in year 3 of his 3 year $45M deal. No idea how they structured that deal as a $6M cap hit in 2009 but apparently they did. Samuel's deal averages a little under $10M, I think Bailey's averaged a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes