PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Project the 8 man practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you predicted Ohrnberger, you were right. He's back.

I've read the PS rules backwards and forwards over the years, and I can't recall any reference to "3 accrued seasons." The rule I'm familiar with is zero accrued seasons, unless the player was active for 8 or fewer games in any/all accrued seasons. Here's a link to the cba text:
Practice Squad Eligibility?

If you have a source for the rule you're referring to, I'd love to see it!

A few things..

In my first reply. I mis-understood what you were talking about when you said 3rd and 4th year QBs. I thought you were talking about QBs with 3 or 4 ACCRUED seasons. That is what i attempted to clarify with my second post.

Yes, you are correct, there is no reference to 3 accrued seasons in the rule.

Ted Larsen claimed by the Buccaneers..

Zac Robinson joining the Seahawks.. Either via claim or their Practice squad.. There are conflicting Tweets about this.

If you predicted Ohrnberger, you were right. He's back.
I gloat (only because I think it's the first thing I've called correctly this season).
th_coffee.gif

I gloat (only because I think it's the first thing I've called correctly this season).
th_coffee.gif

Box - from what I've seen, you are one of the most intelligent posters on here. You are in a select group (AndyJohnson, Deus Irae, MoLewisRocks, DaBruinz, Miguel, to name a few) who back your opinions up with fact and not just unsupported opinions.

Everyone makes mistakes, but you do seem do to your utmost to try and learn from them. Others on this board would do well to follow your lead..

I'm disappointed that OBerger blew his chance, but I cant really say its disappointing that 5th,6th and 7th round OL dont pan out. Those guys are long shots who need to develop, and many dont/

When it comes to any given draft pick, that's certainly true. But the fact that the Patriots haven't successfully drafted an o-lineman past round 3 since Dan Koppen is a little disturbing. (That span encompasses 9 OL picks.)

Well, yeah, but that number may be a little deceiving (by the way, I counted 8, not 9.) Two late round OL picks were from the 2010 draft, so it's too early to make a determination on them even though they (Larsen and Welch) were cut; they could end up on the practice squad and contributing a year or two from now. Two more were from a year ago (Ohrnberger and Bussey) that again could end up on the practice squad this year, and contributing to the Pats down the road. Obviously that won't be the case with all four players, I just think it's a bit early to close the book on all of them. After their first training camp, very few would have envisioned Neal and Connolly as starters with the Pats.

2007 was a weak draft and the Pats took three offensive linemen in that draft: Clint Oldenburg, Corey Hilliard and Mike Elgin. Going through the names of all players drafted late that year, there's very few that jump out and make me say 'we shoulda' drafted him!' And in '06 there was Dan Stevenson.

So overall we're talking about one 4th rounder (Ohrnberger), two 5ths (O'Callaghan, Bussey), three 6ths (Stevenson, Hilliard, Larsen), and two 7ths (Elgin, Welch.) With the starters remaining intact for so long, there's been very little opportunity for late round picks to make the roster, even as a backup until the last year or so.

Yea, I was just thinking this, What has the Dante Acadamey done for us lately??

( Not blaming the coach, or maybe I should, didn't he pick the O'burger groceries??)

We had to pick up someone else's developmental player in liu of our own.

Plus this year BB touted those OL as being 4th round talent, yea right.
Connolly is starting at guard, and Wendell is now the top backup on the interior line. I don't know if I'd characterize Ojinnaka as a developmental player; this is his 5th season. I'd say he was brought in as insurance to replace Kaczur as a backup if necessary. It's doubtful that either Dante or BB envisioned the team without both Mankins and Kaczur.

As for Ohrnberger, obviously he's a disappointment, but this hardly marks the first time that a 4th round draft pick failed to make an impact for the team that drafted him.

Well, yeah, but that number may be a little deceiving (by the way, I counted 8, not 9.)
So overall we're talking about one 4th rounder (Ohrnberger), two 5ths (O'Callaghan, Bussey), three 6ths (Stevenson, Hilliard, Larsen), and two 7ths (Elgin, Welch.)

Looks like you're missing Oldenburg as a 5th.

I appreciate your points, but I'm not sure the OL roster has been quite as tough to break into as you suggest. During that time quite a few waiver wire/ street FAs have been signed and stuck around for multiple seasons -- LeVoir, Britt, Connolly, Wendell -- and there was usually a Yates or Gorin type on the bubble.

Of course, they haven't hit on any late-round RBs or LBs in the same time period, and only Edelman at WR. Better success on the d-line and backfield.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Gutierrez spent a full season on the active roster. I do not think that being a gameday inactive matters.

From stuff Reiss has said in the past, it actually does matter: being the 3rd QB does not count against you unless you actually enter the game. Being the 2nd QB but not entering the game does count.

So, for example, Hoyer is no longer eligible for the PS.

So far we have:

Sergio Brown and Rich Ohrnberger.

Last edited:
So far we have:

Sergio Brown, Steve Maneri and Rich Ohrnberger.

Maneri was a waiver claim. Not a practice squad signing.

So far we have:

Sergio Brown and Rich Ohrnberger.

Can you tell me where you saw that we signed Sergio Brown to the PS. I haven't seen that. Thanks!

Can you tell me where you saw that we signed Sergio Brown to the PS. I haven't seen that. Thanks!

Reiss just tweeted that Sergio Brown has cleared waivers and will be on the PS.

You can add Shawn Crable!!

You can add Shawn Crable!!

Just saw that! lol - So now being Crabled is a really weird and rare thing.

Does he hit the active roster in a few weeks?

Interesting move. It would be nice if this guy could actually come in and do something to help us win. Not holding my breath-just hopeful.

anyone who predicted Crable to the PS should win a stuffed binkie for the predictions, Maybe Vince Redd will be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back