PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFW: Sources say that Meriweather will stay at safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFW: Sources say that Meriweather will stay at safety

I'd much rather see Meriweather starting at CB along with Hobbs, with Bryant and Wheatley in reserve and Tank Williams in reserve at safety.
No thanks.

Give me Harrison and Meriweather at Safety with Sanders a good backup in case 1) Meriweather isn't ready or 2) Harrison gets hurt.

I strongly believe that we'll be just fine with Hobbs and Bryant as the starting CB this year with Wheatley being an upgrade over Gay as the 3rd CB. Sometime later this season or a year from now at the latest, Wheatley replacing Bryant as the second starting CB.

Did you happen to see Rodney's text to Peter King?

I don't think Rodney is going anywhere. He was still pretty damn good last season. Not 2003 or 2004 level, but I don't think Sanders will take any time away from him. Rodney is still one of the keys to the defense, and I wouldn't be surprised if 2008 is NOT his final year.

Sanders hasn't done anything to lose his job at FS either. (And let's not get too carried away with SS/FS, because Belichick (and Mangini) really just go with S1 and S2). Sanders and Harrison were the 2007 duo. They will most likely be the 2008 duo. Maybe even 2009.

But CB is a mess. The Pats lost the best cornerback in the NFL this offseason. I agree that Meriweather will continue to progress from his role as a sub package DB (notice I'm saying DB, not CB or S, because he really fills both roles when in on sub packages). He's a first-round talent DB, and at this point, I'd easily consider him as one of the top 4 DBs on the roster, behind Harrison, Sanders, and Hobbs. That's why I'd much rather see Meriweather starting at CB along with Hobbs, with Bryant and Wheatley in reserve and Tank Williams in reserve at safety.

I agree that Rodney is still a starting caliber player still and isn't going anywhere - but the Patriots use him in the LB-esque role so much, and they employ subpackages so often that we're going to see Meriweather-Sanders-Harrison on the field together quite often. That I think we agree on. I just happen to think Meriweather is best served at FS, and that his speed there is an improvement over Sanders, who has been solid, but is not the playmaker Meriweather should be.

Last edited:

No thanks.

Give me Harrison and Meriweather at Safety with Sanders a good backup in case 1) Meriweather isn't ready or 2) Harrison gets hurt.

I strongly believe that we'll be just fine with Hobbs and Bryant as the starting CB this year with Wheatley being an upgrade over Gay as the 3rd CB. Sometime later this season or a year from now at the latest, Wheatley replacing Bryant as the second starting CB.

Sanders will not be a backup. Especially not over Meriweather.

Put me down for that.

Sanders will not be a backup. Especially not over Meriweather.

Put me down for that.

My money's on Meriweather, but regardless, this is the kind of TC battle you have to love: 2 starting-caliber players duking it out for playing time.

Surely you mean "of the CB changing teams this year the Patriots lost the best one". You couldn't possibly mean what this says - could you ?

Who's better? Champ Bailey has a good case, but I'm not sure he's at the same level as the 2004 trade. DeAngelo Hall? Chris McAlister? Antonio Cromartie? Marcus Trufant? Al Harris?

I just don't think any of those guys have produced as much as Samuel has in the past two years. All the Cromartie hype last year caught me by surprise, since he was a nickelback for the Chargers in 2006.

Last edited:

My money's on Meriweather, but regardless, this is the kind of TC battle you have to love: 2 starting-caliber players duking it out for playing time.

I think we see Meriweather right back where he was last year in training camp: cornerback.

But right now, we're just arguing over hypothetical situations.

No thanks.

:agree:

Sanders does not have the range to be a quality starting FS. He does not play with enough violence to be an intimidating SS. He is an extremely professional, dedicated, versatile player who communicates well, understands the scheme, but is best suited at this stage to a role as a versatile back up (IMO). If Rodney for whatever reason can't play, I like Sanders better at SS than FS.

Meriweather has the versatility to cover the slot from the FS position if needed. But forcing him into the cb position IMO would increase his bust potential. He was coming into his own at safety toward the end there, and I don't see any reason to F with that.

The Pats may have had dreams of making him a cb when they drafted him, but (IMO) a position change at this stage would ****** his growth and possibly ruin him. No reason to risk it.

Last edited:

Who's better? Champ Bailey has a good case, but I'm not sure he's at the same level as the 2004 trade. DeAngelo Hall? Chris McAlister? Antonio Cromartie? Marcus Trufant? Al Harris?

I just don't think any of those guys have produced as much as Samuel has in the past two years. All the Cromartie hype last year caught me by surprise, since he was a nickelback for the Chargers in 2006.
I don't watch enough CB to give a definitive answer but I don't believe for a second that Samuel is the best or even in the discussion. He was beaten a lot last year - I know FootballOutsiders gave him a very impressive YPA number but my eyes told me something completely different and I trust my eyes more given that FO's numbers for defensive players are a work in progress and not even collected officially.

Samuel may be the most opportunistic CB in the league but he surely isn't the best. If that's the best there is, I wouldn't pay a CB more than about $2M a year because last year wasn't all that good. And, no, I'm not saying that because he's now an Eagle.

The Pats may have had dreams of making him a cb when they drafted him, but (IMO) a position change at this stage would ****** his growth and possibly ruin him. No reason to risk it.
I don't think they ever dreamed of making him a CB. I think his time at CB last training camp was just to make him more versatile in man to man coverage and to be able to move up from Safety and take the slot receiver in certain defenses.

:agree:

Sanders does not have the range to be a quality starting FS. He does not play with enough violence to be an intimidating SS. He is an extremely professional, dedicated, versatile player who communicates well, understands the scheme, but is best suited to a role as a versatile back up (IMO).

I disagree. He is a starting caliber player. He's a 4th round pick. He has plenty of potential. Did we call Samuel a backup because he was a 4th round pick? No. I think discussion that he's reached his ceiling is severely premature.

Last edited:

I disagree. He is a starting caliber player. He's a 4th round pick. He has plenty of potential. Did we call Samuel a backup because he was a 4th round pick? No. I think discussion that he's reached his ceiling is severely premature.
Can you name a single play Sanders made last year other than the INT on the horrible throw from Boller ? Safeties show up all over the place. They don't have the valid excuse that CB can of the QB throwing away from them. Even though he dropped about 3-4 INTs, Meriweather got his hands on more balls in limited time than Sanders did. Sure Sanders is solid and makes the tackle when needed and I'm fully confident Meriweather will do that. But I want my Safeties to make a difference in a positive way, not just making the quiet play. And Sanders doesn't do that.

If we pencil in Rodney to start at SS, I would rather watch Meriweather develop at FS than Sanders because of his range and superior coverage ability. When Rodney leaves, Sanders can step in at SS, where I think he can be a solid (but not an impact)starter.

If for whatever reason Rodney takes an extended vacation, I would have no problem going to war with Meriweather at FS and Sanders at SS.

Last edited:
So, I guess when Meriweather, Rodney, and Sanders are all on the field it automatically means Meriweather is playing CB? Sorry, but that's wrong. In some of those instances he was playing a CB type of role, but the Patriots also used three Safety sets, where Rodney was playing as a small LB, and Meriweather had deep coverage as the FS. Sanders had mid/deep coverage, and was also playing Safety. There were also times when Sanders was on the sidelines, and Meriweather played FS.

I'll leave you with two simple facts:
Meriweather has personally said he feels more comfortable at Safety.

Members of the Patriots coaching staff have previously said they intend to use Brandon mostly at Safety, but like his flexibility to play CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back