PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFW: Sources say that Meriweather will stay at safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
i could have told u that after the superbowl...

Exactly, but everyone was hung up on Meriweather being a CB. Why throw an already above average (who also has a chance to become a really special player) FS into the CB spot?

I personally don't believe they truly considered moving Brandon to CB. I think they have extremely high hopes that he can develop into an Ed Reed "type", as Belichick has seemingly always been infatuated with Ed.

Last edited:
Sanders is going to be a RFA. Odds are he will get at least the second round tender offer. Odds are that Sanders will be on the Patriots in 2009. 2010 is still in question, but there is little chance he won't be on the team in 2009.

No, Sanders will be a UFA. It's 3 accrued only for RFA, 4 for UFA -- draft status has no bearing on it. Sanders was drafted in 2005, and has already accrued 3 seasons. By the time he hits free agency in March 2009, he will have 4 accrued, and be a UFA.

The rules are slightly different though in uncapped years, which wouldn't start until 2010.

How completely... unsurprising. I thought trying to convert Meriweather to safety was a bad idea from the start. Remember Tebuckey Jones anyone?

Yeah, Meriweather was starting to get better and better at the position as the year went on. Remember that our defense is more complex than most (especially the one they set at THA U) and it takes a while to feel comfortable in it. BM turned the corner fairly quick for a rookie and I'm looking forward to more from him next year.

Re: PFW: Sources say that Meriweather will stay at safety

Meriweather hasn't shown he is good enough to start over Sanders just yet. I am concerned that both of their coverage skills leave a little to be desired last year. He will need to win the job in the preseason to start.

Personally, I hope they still bring in Law. He could play FS in a lot of pass coverage situations at least until Meriweather gets better at it.

Meriweather started at FS in the Super Bowl and, IMO, played well. Down the stretch - particularly, the playoffs - I would feel much more comfortable with the defense in general seeing Meriweather on the field, and felt the pass defense was much more effective with him in there. Meriweather is the perfect fit for the FS in this system b/c of his coverage skills and b/c of his speed. He can also lay some pretty big hits as well.

Last edited:

Meriweather started at FS in the Super Bowl and, IMO, played well. Down the stretch - particularly, the playoffs - I would feel much more comfortable with the defense in general seeing Meriweather on the field, and felt the pass defense was much more effective with him in there. Meriweather is the perfect fit for the FS in this system b/c of his coverage skills and b/c of his speed. He can also lay some pretty big hits as well.

I wouldn't say Meriweather started at "FS" in the Super Bowl. Sanders did. Sanders started at FS all of last season. Sanders will next year, too.

Meriweather started at a nickelback/3rd safety position. The same one he played in all year.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say Meriweather started at "FS" in the Super Bowl. Sanders did. Sanders started at FS all of last season. Sanders will next year, too.

Meriweather started at a nickelback/3rd safety position. The same one he played in all year.

Beyond the first bolded part being blatantly wrong, what makes you say he "will next year, too"? Has he already won that spot?

I'll take your word for it since I know you have watched the game twice, which is one more than I ever will, but I could've sworn I saw Meriweather in there at FS in the first series before they went to any sub packages.

As for Sanders being FS next season, I disagree there, but only time will tell.

I highly doubt any of us can know that right now. Every position is open according to BB every year in training camp, and I believe that.

Oh boy, maybe BBFan was right in the post above. There really is a split on Sanders.

I think you can guess what side I'm on...

Beyond the first bolded part being blatantly wrong, what makes you say he "will next year, too"? Has he already won that spot?

"Blatantly wrong?"

He started 15 games at FS (well, technically at SS before Rodney came back). He missed the December Jets game with an injury.

Do people even know how far Sanders has come before they jump to replacing him with Meriweather and/or throwing him behind Rodney?

Last edited:

I'll take your word for it since I know you have watched the game twice, which is one more than I ever will, but I could've sworn I saw Meriweather in there at FS in the first series before they went to any sub packages.

As for Sanders being FS next season, I disagree there, but only time will tell.

Here, I'll lay out the first series for you:

1st and 10:
DL: Seymour (RE), Wilfork (NT), Warren (LE)
LB: Vrabel (SLB), Thomas (MLB), Bruschi (WLB)
DBs: Hobbs (RCB), Harrison (SS over slot), Meriweather (DB) and Sanders (FS) deep, Samuel (LCB)

2nd and 7:
LB: Vrabel (ROLB), Bruschi (RILB), Seau (LILB), Thomas (LOLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS), Harrison (SS), Samuel (LCB)

3rd and 6:
DL: Thomas (RE), Seymour (NT), Green (LE)
LB: Seau (MLB), Vrabel (SLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS), Meriweather (DB), Harrison (SS blitzer), Gay (NB), Samuel (LCB)

1st and 10:
LB: Vrabel (ROLB), Seau (RILB), Bruschi (LILB), Thomas (LOLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS), Harrison (SS), Samuel (LCB)

2nd and 7:
LB: Bruschi (WLB), Seau (MLB), Vrabel (SLB)
DB: Thomas (RCB, on TE wide), Harrison (SS), Sanders (FS), Samuel (NB), Hobbs (LCB)

3rd and 6:
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Harrison (SS on slot), Gay (NB), Meriweather (DB), Sanders (FS), Samuel (LCB)

*Note: Both Gay and Harrison were injured on the play

1st and 10:
LB: Thomas (ROLB), Bruschi (RILB), Seau (LILB), Vrabel (LOLB)
CB: Hobbs (RCB), Meriweather (FS), Sanders (SS), Samuel (LCB)

*Meriweather was "blowed up" on the play by Jacobs...then Sanders made the tackle. :D

2nd and 3:
LB: Thomas (ROLB), Seau (RILB), Bruschi (LILB), Vrabel (LOLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS), Harrison (SS blitzer), Samuel (LCB)

3rd and inches:
LB: Thomas (ROLB), Seau (RILB), Bruschi (LILB), Vrabel (LOLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS blitzer), Harrison (SS), Samuel (LCB)

1st and 10:
LB: Vrabel (SLB), Thomas (MLB), Bruschi (WLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Harrison (SS on slot), Meriweather (DB), Sanders (FS), Samuel (LCB)

2nd and 10:
LB: Thomas (ROLB), Bruschi (RILB), Seau (LILB), Vrabel (LOLB)
DB: Samuel (RCB), Harrison (SS blitzer), Sanders (FS), Hobbs (LCB)

3rd and 7:
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Wilson (NB -- in for Gay -- told Meriweather to get deep and took the slot before the snap, then blitzed and got Eli's ankles on the throw), Meriweather (DB), Sanders (FS), Harrison (SS blitzer), Samuel (LCB)

1st and 10:
LB: Seau (MLB to DT blitzer), Vrabel (SLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Meriweather (NB on slot), Harrison (SS on slot) Wilson (DB, drops INT in end zone, angering BB), Sanders (FS), Samuel (LCB)

2nd and 10:
DL: Seymour (RE), Green (LE)
LB: Thomas (WLB), Seau (MLB), Vrabel (SLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Meriweather (slot), Wilson (FS), Harrison (SS), Sanders (slot), Samuel (LCB)

3rd and 10:
LB: Seau (MLB), Vrabel (WLB)
DB: Hobbs (RCB), Sanders (FS), Wilson (DB), Harrison (SS), Meriweather (slot), Samuel (LCB)

...Your New England Patriots finally get their first offensive possession with about 6 minutes left in the first quarter.

...Again, it may be a good idea to get facts straight before discussing Sanders and Meriweather. Misconceptions can really skew opinions. Sanders started at safety all season. Meriweather saw more time in sub packages as the year progressed (mainly as a 5th DB/NB type replacing Wilson -- i.e. Wilson started with Sanders when Rodney was suspended, but if Rodney was out the last 4 games of the season, it would have been Meriweather starting, not Wilson), but never was part of the starting defense. Sanders was always part of it, even dating back to 2006 when Rodney went down with the shoulder injury against the Colts.

"Blatantly wrong?"

He started 15 games at FS (well, technically at SS before Rodney came back). He missed the December Jets game with an injury.

Do people even know how far Sanders has come before they jump to replacing him with Meriweather and/or throwing him behind Rodney?

Believe me, I understand how valuable Sanders has been to the team and how he has developed into a good player - but the fact remains that he didn't start at FS all of last season.

Meriweather should have every opportunity to win the job this year, given both his athletic ability, increased playing time at the end of the season, and the usual progression of first round picks for the Patriots. Sanders is a good player, but he does not have the speed that is ideal for a FS, nor is he a playmaker - something Meriweather can be.

Believe me, I understand how valuable Sanders has been to the team and how he has developed into a good player - but the fact remains that he didn't start at FS all of last season.

How does that advance your point, though? I don't think the fact that Sanders played some SS when Harrison was out for four games gives your assertion that my statement was "blatantly false" any leg to stand on.

Meriweather should have every opportunity to win the job this year, given both his athletic ability, increased playing time at the end of the season, and the usual progression of first round picks for the Patriots. Sanders is a good player, but he does not have the speed that is ideal for a FS, nor is he a playmaker - something Meriweather can be.

That's simply not the way BB thinks.

Good I Want To See Him Stay There With Harrison's Age Getting Up There

How does that advance your point, though? I don't think the fact that Sanders played some SS when Harrison was out for four games gives your assertion that my statement was "blatantly false" any leg to stand on.

That's simply not the way BB thinks.

You said he started every game at free safety. That is blatantly wrong regardless of where I stand on the topic of Meriweather and Sanders. I see no need in addressing that anymore than I already have.

Tell me why BB would think a player that he drafted in the first round and has the potential to be a very good player in the middle of the secondary shouldn't be given an opportunity to win the spot? Sanders is solid, but you can upgrade solid. Why wouldn't BB think that's a good thing to do?

...Again, it may be a good idea to get facts straight before discussing Sanders and Meriweather. Misconceptions can really skew opinions. Sanders started at safety all season. Meriweather saw more time in sub packages as the year progressed (mainly as a 5th DB/NB type replacing Wilson -- i.e. Wilson started with Sanders when Rodney was suspended, but if Rodney was out the last 4 games of the season, it would have been Meriweather starting, not Wilson), but never was part of the starting defense. Sanders was always part of it, even dating back to 2006 when Rodney went down with the shoulder injury against the Colts.

Thanks for the SB breakdown, good stuff. I still stand by my assertion that Meriweather's increased playing time will lead to him in the starting lineup, and that Sanders will be starting at his more natural position, SS. He started the year by playing SS while Rodney was down, and most of his time here has been at that position. Wilson's general ineffectiveness/injuries this year demanded Sanders move to FS once Rodney was back.

Ultimately, I believe our safety lineup for the future is Meriweather (FS) and Sanders (SS), when that happens, I'm not sure, and maybe it won't be to start next season, but I do think it'll happen.

Last edited:

Thanks for the SB breakdown, good stuff. I still stand by my assertion that Meriweather's increased playing time will lead to him in the starting lineup, and that Sanders will be starting at his more natural position, SS. He started the year by playing SS while Rodney was down, and most of his time here has been at that position. Wilson's general ineffectiveness/injuries this year demanded Sanders move to FS once Rodney was back.

Ultimately, I believe our safety lineup for the future is Meriweather (FS) and Sanders (SS), when that happens, I'm not sure, and maybe it won't be to start next season, but I do think it'll happen.

Did you happen to see Rodney's text to Peter King?

I don't think Rodney is going anywhere. He was still pretty damn good last season. Not 2003 or 2004 level, but I don't think Sanders will take any time away from him. Rodney is still one of the keys to the defense, and I wouldn't be surprised if 2008 is NOT his final year.

Sanders hasn't done anything to lose his job at FS either. (And let's not get too carried away with SS/FS, because Belichick (and Mangini) really just go with S1 and S2). Sanders and Harrison were the 2007 duo. They will most likely be the 2008 duo. Maybe even 2009.

But CB is a mess. The Pats lost the best cornerback in the NFL this offseason. I agree that Meriweather will continue to progress from his role as a sub package DB (notice I'm saying DB, not CB or S, because he really fills both roles when in on sub packages). He's a first-round talent DB, and at this point, I'd easily consider him as one of the top 4 DBs on the roster, behind Harrison, Sanders, and Hobbs. That's why I'd much rather see Meriweather starting at CB along with Hobbs, with Bryant and Wheatley in reserve and Tank Williams in reserve at safety.

The Pats lost the best cornerback in the NFL this offseason.
Surely you mean "of the CB changing teams this year the Patriots lost the best one". You couldn't possibly mean what this says - could you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back