PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Profootballtalk.com: PATS LURKING FOR MOSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things move fast. That and I took a 5 minute phone survey while having this thread open.

As to beating a dead horse....you can't really think the Moss to the Patriots rumors/hopes/dreams isn't the epitome of such?

who is the dead horse all of us hoping moss comes here or moss himself.

Things move fast. That and I took a 5 minute phone survey while having this thread open.

As to beating a dead horse....you can't really think the Moss to the Patriots rumors/hopes/dreams isn't the epitome of such?

I agree on the Moss rumor......but someone ALWAYS has to bring up the Branch holdout/trade.....a thread about money cannot be complete if it is not there. :bricks:

He sounds like a Corey Dillon story, to me. I dont think Moss was particularly unprofessional in a pretty bad situation in Oakland. He'd be a great fit, I think.

I agree on the Moss rumor......but someone ALWAYS has to bring up the Branch holdout/trade.....a thread about money cannot be complete if it is not there. :bricks:

Brought up as example only. Given the choice of having ANY of those players mentioned versus Randy Moss I would take them anyday. Not because I feel any are being, or have been, dealt with poorly....just saying I think they have greater value than Moss as a whole to the team and thus worth the money before he is.

All a smoke screen for the Patriots to sign Donte Stallworth.

He sounds like a Corey Dillon story, to me. I dont think Moss was particularly unprofessional in a pretty bad situation in Oakland. He'd be a great fit, I think.

I don't know about Moss signing with the Patriots but I do agree with you about playing in Oakland. His talent has been wasted. It would appear while he takes plays "off" others are not bothering to show up at all.

I think it might be just winning. After being with Minnesota, then Oakland, i think its winning.

I don't know winning from whining, but I do have a question for someone who knows more about this than I do: what are the rules about restructuring a contract like the ridiculous one that Moss has? Is it like in the MLB where the guy can't take a penny less or is there some flexibility to build in some incentives.

I know that we are all enfatuated with visions of Brady throwng bombs to Moss for touchdowns.

Deep inside however I think we all tend to realize that trading for Moss would be a bad idea.

it would/could...

1.)cause locker room distractions with Moss's antics
2.)cost us a 3rd round draft pick
3.)tie up cap space on someone that Belicheck might just flat out cut if things get bad (ie Gabriel)
4.)minor hit on the organization's reputation for only taking character guys

I have been a fan of Randy Moss but even I have to realize that while I wish/hope he could be a great fit in New England, the likely scenario would be that he won't.

I know that we are all enfatuated with visions of Brady throwng bombs to Moss for touchdowns.

Deep inside however I think we all tend to realize that trading for Moss would be a bad idea.

it would/could...

1.)cause locker room distractions with Moss's antics
2.)cost us a 3rd round draft pick
3.)tie up cap space on someone that Belicheck might just flat out cut if things get bad (ie Gabriel)
4.)minor hit on the organization's reputation for only taking character guys

I have been a fan of Randy Moss but even I have to realize that while I wish/hope he could be a great fit in New England, the likely scenario would be that he won't.

A lot of people said the same about Dillon. :rolleyes:
Its still a risk though. IMO.

I tend to agree. I think sometimes people underestimate just how miserable the Raiders organization is right now with their perpetually abysmal QB situation, the crazy old bastard who lives in the past, and the revolving door of coaches. I'd be pissed if I were him, too. Hell, their offensive coordinator was running a freakin Bed and Breakfast before Art Shell hired him. What does that tell you?

Oakland makes Corey's Bengal days look like Utopia in comparison. Not only is Oakland the worst organization in the NFL they are among the worst organizations in all of pro sports as it stands now. There are Arena League teams under better management. There are semi-pro teams under better management.

Last edited:
Count me in the he might do OK, side of this debate. Great talent, few drops and may help Chad get acclimated to the NFL. I am not part of the stretch the field camp, but if were out there with our other guys this would be a forminable offense. There are enough quality guys in the locker room to neutralize his BS.

The thing about Moss is that he's so undervalued right now. You might be able to get him for a 2008 fourth round pick, moving upward conditionally.

I still don't see it happening, because Moss would have to agree to rip up his contract and sign another one that would allow BB to cut him without significant cap penalty if he poses a problem.

Would it shock me if this played out as another Dillon situation and we used Moss for a year or three? Absolutely not. As long as he realizes he's not catching 90 balls in this offense, and as long as Rodney's around to punch him in the mouth (and I mean that literally) if he gets out of line, Moss to the Patriots could be a mutually beneficial short-term proposition. Brady gets a reliable target who can take over a game, and force defenses to account for him every play, Moss gets an opportunity to be part of a winner, and rehabilitate his image so that in another couple of years some other team (Redskins, I'm looking in your direction) will be willing to offer him one final fat contract.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least something to these reports.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least something to these reports.
Me too. I've heard BB talk about it him, he really goes on and on about his talent, even moreso than the usual "he's a great competitor" line he always gives.

Did Moss restructure his contract when he went to the Raiders? Are the $10 million cap hits that he is scheduled to receive including bonus money, or are they straight salary? If it's his salary there would be no consequences to releasing him (as is), other than BB & SP wiping the egg off of their collective faces.

If he would incentivize a good deal of his contract and drop it to $4 mil (give or take a mil.), and it costs a 3 (maybe even a 4 as dryheat says), it's hard to reject a potential trade scenario like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes