PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Profootballtalk.com: MANGINI WHIFFING ON ASSISTANTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Interesting if true. Seems like Mangini should have taken BB's advice and stayed the hell away from that organizaiton. After all, the last 5 coaches have fired the Jets, rather than the other way around.

The only silver lining is that Mangini might have more personnel control because the organization is so dysfunctional

PFT said:
MANGINI WHIFFING ON ASSISTANTS?

We're hearing that new Jets coach Eric Mangini is having trouble putting together a staff of assistants. He's been rebuffed, we're told, a "bunch of times" in his efforts to get the guys he has wanted.

There's no clear reason for his problems in this regard. It could be due to his age.

It also could be due to the perception that the team's front office is in a state of flux. Many league insiders believe that G.M. Terry Bradway is on his way out as G.M., and that the job eventually will go to assistant G.M. Mike Tannenbaum.

Some believe that Bradway hung himself by spending most of his time working out of his home. In contrast, Tannenbaum has been a regular presence in the office, allowing him to solidify his relationship with the owner.

The only problem is that, if cap-and-contracts guy Tannenbaum ends up as the G.M., there won't be an established personnel guy running the show.

This opens the door, of course, for Mangini to have even greater influence when it comes to the configuration of the roster. Of course, such a development could attract assistant coaches to town.

Our guess is that the general goofiness surrounding the franchise over the past month has contributed significantly to Mangini's inability to put together a group of assistants that will help him to achieve success sooner rather than later.

JoeSixPat said:
Interesting if true. Seems like Mangini should have taken BB's advice and stayed the hell away from that organizaiton. After all, the last 5 coaches have fired the Jets, rather than the other way around.

The only silver lining is that Mangini might have more personnel control because the organization is so dysfunctional

Damn if this is not exactly what happened when BB was supposed to take over! Six years and nothing has really changed. I am glad we got out "man in turmoil!"

I bet EM is wishing he has listened to BB too!

JoeSixPat said:

I can't imagine Woody would give the GM title to the cap and contracts guy given the situation he finds himself in on that front alone. Then again, these are the JETS... Eric is an X's and O's schemer, not a personnel guy and not an experienced leader of large groups of men for that matter.

Bradway won't get canned before next season - he still has 2 years left on his contract and Woody is cheap. He'll likely make things worse for Mangini before he leaves too in a reach to save his job (which is what Mangini was too).

I think most of Eric's first choices were blocked (Ryan, Davidson, McDaniel) by their HC's, others had time to mull over tying their tail to Mangini in that situation, and that probably includes some older acquaintances who don't want a disaster on their resume. Realizing this they stuck him with an older first time DC who was already on staff (never good), tried to stick him with a holdover OC again because they're cheap and probably because they know he has no offensive experience, then they foisted Marty's kid on him as a first time OC. Not an auspicious start for young Eric.

I saw Bradway interviewed at the Senior Bowl (where he appeared to be in heat over the Vanderbilt QB Cutler). He said he and Eric will work together on team needs BUT Eric will be pretty busy assembling a staff so he would be essentially handling the draft and OF COURSE the final decision will be his.

Borges was opining the other day on Felger's show that he thinks Eric will have his hands full with some of the veterans on the JETS like Abraham and Curtis. Could be a very difficult club house for him to control if they get off on the wrong foot. Like Felger said, winning fixes a lot of things, but if he doesn't get them winning out of the gate.... And in a culture change things are usually tough enough without a baby faced first time HC facing the lions with little veteran staff support. When BB walked in here he was flanked by a holdover veteran coach he had a longstanding relationship with in Dante, and he had Charlie and RAC in tow. That's a formidible (and intimidating) crew comparatively speaking.

What is interesting is Bradway signing a defensive coach and all the draft gurus and senior bowl stories focusing on offensive players to either take Penny's job or keep him alive longer. Sounds like a GM who is pulling a Polian, big money offense, defensive leftovers. Good Luck Eric.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
What is interesting is Bradway signing a defensive coach and all the draft gurus and senior bowl stories focusing on offensive players to either take Penny's job or keep him alive longer. Sounds like a GM who is pulling a Polian, big money offense, defensive leftovers. Good Luck Eric.

I agree...IMO Mangini and Crennel unfortunately have GM's who don't appear to be on the same page...offense sells tickets...makes the job tougher.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for Mangini.

Basically, he walks into a nightmare, and must unf#ck an entire organization.

One thing that has made BB and Parcells also, successful is the ability to take a my way or the highway approach.
BB is 100% committed to his approach to building, coaching, teaching, and running a football team. He has no qualms at jettisoning anyone who doesnt fit. Remember back to 2000 when he let go a number of 'good' players who either didnt fit his system or were on the decline.

Mangini can walk into that nightmare, and follow one of the blueprints that I believe BB did:

Regardless of the players you start with, you run your team, personnel, organization, and schemes the way you know wins Championships. If you dont have the right players to fit that, you find out in a hurry, if you might, you get them playing the way you need them to be playing in 2-3 years.
Perfect example is John Abraham.
He is a very talented player. But his success has come playing a totally different brand of football than Mangini will want.
The typical approach is to 'use his strenghts' to win now clashes with the BB philoposophy (at least the one I perceive) that says make them play the style you need and figure out if they fit.

With that in mind, if I am rooting for Mangini, I would want him to have zero expectations of winning in year 1, and meager expectations for year 2. That will allow him to do the right thing, and work today on the team he needs in 3 years.
However, since I want the Jets to suck, I hope the front office puts a ton of pressure on him to win now.

I agree. I think Mangini is in a tought situation. He's very young and only has 1 year as a DC under his belt. I suspect it'll be difficult to command the kind of respect from both players and coachs (some of whom will no doubt have more experience than Eric) that is needed to be an effective head coach. I think he'll make a terrific head coach some day, but I don't think it's going to be with the Jets.

Bill's Girl said:
Damn if this is not exactly what happened when BB was supposed to take over! Six years and nothing has really changed. I am glad we got out "man in turmoil!"

I bet EM is wishing he has listened to BB too!

For an increase of approx. $1,700,000 in his annual pay, Mangini I'm sure knew when taking the new job that no matter who took over as the Jets new head coach was going to need to keep an extra supply of Maalox nearby.

AndyJohnson said:

Didn't know you could do that. :p

it's showing up right away

F.B.N. said:
I agree...IMO Mangini and Crennel unfortunately have GM's who don't appear to be on the same page...offense sells tickets...makes the job tougher.
mangini should not take this personally.
no nfl position coach is going to leave what he's got now to bring his family to live in metro NOO YAWK, and go in to a franchise as messed up as the Jets.
it's a given, a certainty, that da Jets' ownership & management willl blow themselves up again in maybe 3 years. then all the coaches will have to play nfl musical chairs again.
i suspect many of those he's approached have declined even an interview.
eric is gonna have to go with college coaches, who don't know any better and have lived for years to coach in the nfl. he'll probaby get far more knowledgeable, experienced coaches. but thhey won't know diddly about coaching grown men.

This is just me but, when the job was offered, the first thing I would have done was put out feelers for who might be interested in coming in to coach with me. I would have based my decision, in part, to take or decline the job on the response I got from from other coaches/coordinators. EM should have known what the left-over coaching situation was and no man can do this all alone!

Whoever mentioned BB coming in with RAC and Charlie was partly right. Charlie did come with Bill from NY, RAC came in 2001.

Last edited:
totally in agreement

Bill's Girl said:
This is just me but, when the job was offered, the first thing I would have done was put out feelers for who might be interested in coming in to coach with me. I would have based my decision, in part, to take or decline the job on the response I got from from other coaches/coordinators. EM should have known what the left-over coaching situation was and no man can do this all alone!

Whoever mentioned BB coming in with RAC and Charlie was partly right. Charlie did come with Bill from NY, RAC came in 2001.

This was coming before they hired him.

Mangini having trouble in NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_491890_121&prov=citadel&type=story

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So the saga continues for the former Patriots' coordinator. Mangini is still looking for assistants to fill out his staff, and the only hires he's made are two holdovers from the Herm Edwards regime, Bob Sutton (defensive coordinator) and Westhoff (special teams).

Mangini's first choice for a defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan re-upped with the Oakland Raiders , which prompted the Jets to retain Sutton. Mangini's first choice for offensive coordinator appeared to be Jeff Davidson, whom the Browns just promoted to keep him with Romeo Crennel in Cleveland.

Mangini's search is expanding, but he's competing with other members of the Belichick / Parcells tree who are also looking for coaches. Parcells, who lost offensive coordinator Sean Peyton to the Saints head-coaching job, needs a new one. Nick Saban , who saw his offensive coordinator Scott Linehan take over in St. Louis, is hunting for a coordinator. The Patriots, who may have been concerned that their guy was targeted, promoted quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels to fill their vacant offensive coordinator postition.

If Heimerddinger is allowed to leave, which the New York media is reporting may be the case, then Mangini will have to continue his quest for a body and a system that works for his new team. One name has surfaced, and that's former coordinator Chris Palmer, another assistant under the Parcells tree. Palmer was let go by Houston Texans early into the 2005 campaign. Unfortunately for Mangini, he may be jousting with Jerry Jones and Parcells for that hire. Its unlikely Mangini will get his man if Parcells really likes Palmer.

As we reported last week when the Jets hired Mangini, we said he would have trouble filling out the coaching staff.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AndyJohnson said:
I think this is an excellent opportunity for Mangini.

One thing that has made BB and Parcells also, successful is the ability to take a my way or the highway approach.
BB is 100% committed to his approach to building, coaching, teaching, and running a football team. He has no qualms at jettisoning anyone who doesnt fit. Remember back to 2000 when he let go a number of 'good' players who either didnt fit his system or were on the decline.

Mangini can walk into that nightmare, and follow one of the blueprints that I believe BB did:

Regardless of the players you start with, you run your team, personnel, organization, and schemes the way you know wins Championships. If you dont have the right players to fit that, you find out in a hurry, if you might, you get them playing the way you need them to be playing in 2-3 years.
Perfect example is John Abraham.
He is a very talented player. But his success has come playing a totally different brand of football than Mangini will want.
The typical approach is to 'use his strenghts' to win now clashes with the BB philoposophy (at least the one I perceive) that says make them play the style you need and figure out if they fit.

With that in mind, if I am rooting for Mangini, I would want him to have zero expectations of winning in year 1, and meager expectations for year 2. That will allow him to do the right thing, and work today on the team he needs in 3 years.
However, since I want the Jets to suck, I hope the front office puts a ton of pressure on him to win now.

While I agree Mangini can hardly make things worse, winning in the NFL is tough enough (especially in the AFC East) without having a f#cked up organization around you

But beyond that I agree - the BB/BP road map is simple. There's one rule. I'm the coach. You do what I say or you are gone.

Mangini should make an "example" of somene. They have major cap issues so he'll have every opporutnity, but even cutting someone deemed "safe" because of cap issues can be worth it if it sends the message that NO ONE is immune.

JOhnnyBravo said:
One name has surfaced, and that's former coordinator Chris Palmer, another assistant under the Parcells tree. Palmer was let go by Houston Texans early into the 2005 campaign.

Unfortunately for Mangini, he may be jousting with Jerry Jones and Parcells for that hire. Its unlikely Mangini will get his man if Parcells really likes Palmer.

Palmer just signed on as QB coach with Dallas - reuinted with Bledsoe!

I think Palmer is a very good QB coach by the way - average OC - and just not cut out for the HC job

So then....what is the line on the Jets getting 1st pick in 07'?

JoeSixPat said:
While I agree Mangini can hardly make things worse, winning in the NFL is tough enough (especially in the AFC East) without having a f#cked up organization around you

But beyond that I agree - the BB/BP road map is simple. There's one rule. I'm the coach. You do what I say or you are gone.

Mangini should make an "example" of somene. They have major cap issues so he'll have every opporutnity, but even cutting someone deemed "safe" because of cap issues can be worth it if it sends the message that NO ONE is immune.

The problem is, will Bradway and Woody really let him follow the road map? They won't even let him fill out his own staff. Bradway was pretty clear that he and not Eric will be making the personnel decisions. Eric can tell him what he needs, but Bradway's rep is as the talent evaluator and he will use that as a last resort to save his own ass.

If this is a rebuild they should go for Ferguson or trade down for more picks. If instead they draft Cutler, with no team surrounding him, we'll know where this is heading. Better to rebuild around a veteran rent-a-QB while waiting for a better spot or a deeper class or an overqualified backup to emerge once you have a team worth QB'ing. Which is why it is likely Bradway will not take that approach..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes