PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFootballFocus rankings - Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriotscpfc

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
OK, this is from ProFootballFocus.com, they watch every play of every game to make their basis. They rank it on their own ratings and how valuable they are to the team.

These players have to have played 25% of snaps. And the ratings shown below are Reg. Season only.

ProFootballFocus.com - By Position

So, for the 2009 season:

Offense:
QB: Tom Brady #10 in the NFL

RB: Kevin Faulk #22. Laurence Maroney #52.
WR: Wes Welker #4. Randy Moss #21. Sam Aiken #46. Julian Edelman #53. Welker and Edelman are #3 and #9 in terms of completion percentage to them.
TE: Chris Baker #11. (Must be his blocking). Ben Watson #35.

T: Sebastian Vollmer #5. 1 QB Sack and 1 Hit. Both vs Tampa if memory serves.
Nick Kaczur #28. Matt Light #33.
G: Stephen Neal #2. Logan Mankins #6. Dan Connelly #32.
C: Dan Koppen #18

Defense:
3-4DE: Ty Warren #9. Jarvis Green #22.
NT/DT: Vince Wilfork #6. Myron Pryor #39. Mike Wright #43 (High Rush, Very Low Run rating)
3-4OLB: Tully Banta-Cain #6.
ILB: Gary Guyton #35. Jerod Mayo #39.
CB: Leigh Bodden #14. Shawn Springs #32. Darius Butler #66. Jonathan Wilhite #91.
S: Brandon Meriweather #6. James Sanders #26. Brandon McGowan #57

Special Teamers:
K: Stephen Gostkowski #3.
P: Chris Hanson #43 (out of 44)
KR/PR: Wes Welker #17. Julian Edelman #32. Brandon Tate #41.

Despite a few exceptions, I think that is pretty well accurate on most accounts.

Those we let go:
Asante Samuel - #26 in CB.
Mike Vrabel - #14 in 3-4OLB
Matt Cassel - #29 in QB
Jabar Gaffney - #44 in WR... Kelley Washington - #16 in WR (6th in completion percentage)
Richard Seymour - #13 in 4-3DE
Dave Thomas - #8 and Heath Evans #12 in FB
Dave Thomas - #15 in TE.
Ellis Hobbs - Would be just below Butler had he played enough snaps. He was #50 in KR.
Russ Hochstein was #44 in Guards
LeKevin Smith was #28 in 3-4DE.

Pretty interesting really.

Overall, I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I was surprised at Brady's ranking though, so I checked it out. I didn't have a problem with the guys ahead of him EXCEPT how the heck does David Garrard rank a spot higher? Any formula that concludes David Garrard was better than Tom Brady is messed-up. I'm not saying Tom had a great year, but really, David Garrard's a top 10 QB?

Overall, I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I was surprised at Brady's ranking though, so I checked it out. I didn't have a problem with the guys ahead of him EXCEPT how the heck does David Garrard rank a spot higher? Any formula that concludes David Garrard was better than Tom Brady is messed-up. I'm not saying Tom had a great year, but really, David Garrard's a top 10 QB?
He's had his moments.

That sucky NE OL - or so we're constantly told. Who'd of thunk it, Guyton looked better than Mayo. :snob:

The problem with all of these metric rating systems is twofold. They rely on subjective assessments of dedicated but non professional evaluators who don't know what the assignments or schematic rules were on the plays on which they are making these assessments. And they are basing their assessment on broadcast as opposed to coaches tape.

I'd love to see some sort of coaches ratings on players, but even those would be subjective and potentially agenda driven...

2008 season:

Offense:
QB: Matt Cassel #15

RB: Sammy Morris #9, Kevin Faulk #16, LaMont Jordan not ranked
WR: Wes Welker #42, Randy Moss #44, Jabar Gaffney #104
TE: Ben Watson #30, David Thomas #46

T: Matt Light #3, Mark LeVoir #17, Nick Kaczur #33
G: Logan Mankins #1, Stephen Neal #16, Billy Yates #52
C: Dan Koppen #30

Defense:
3-4DE: Ty Warren #1, Richard Seymour #2, Jarvis Green #5
NT/DT: Vince Wilfork #9, Mike Wright #19
3-4OLB: Adalius Thomas #9, Mike Vrabel #11
ILB: Tedy Bruschi #17, Jerod Mayo #39
CB: Ellis Hobbs #49, Deltha O'Neal #86, Jonathan Wilhite #96
S: James Sanders #19, Rodney Harrison #26, Brandon Meriweather #35

Special Teamers:
K: Stephen Gostkowski #17
P: Chris Hanson #23
KR/PR: Ellis Hobbs #11, Wes Welker #32, Kevin Faulk #52, Deltha O'Neal #199, Matthew Slater #264

Last edited:
I wonder whether various metrics like this are dragged out on the owners' and players' sides during contract negotiations. I mean, they have to jaw about something in between the basic value conversation, which comes down to something being worth what somebody will pay for it. The major risk for a team is that somebody else will pay for value pegged at X, while I have it pegged at X-$1M, and I am wrong.

Of course given the number of younger players, one must stipulate that the production of those let go must also be viewed on a "productive years left" basis, while the production of younger players contributing must be viewed on a "productive years left/improvement remaining" basis. It may help explain the thinking regarding the value of (for example) a Vrabel being allowed to go elsewhere last season.

And of course, they might be right and they might be wrong. I'll let you guys write about that, to coin a phrase ;)

PFnV

The more I delve into that site, the less impressed I am with it. Football Outsiders is a vastly superior place to go for formulas/analysis, and PFF even has inconsistencies within its own data sets.

Last edited:
WOW great rankings.
Garrard and flacco in front of Brady, Warner, McNabb, Eli...
Chris Johnsons isn't the best RB in the league.
AP is the 17th best RB in the league.
Kevin FAulk is way better than Deangelo Williams, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore, Cedric Benson...
RAndy Moss is th 21st best reciever in the league(maybe to high).
Vernon DAvis is the 57th best TE in the league, Baker is the 11.
We should trade Wilfork for Pouha, or Babineux.

Belichick should se this ratings to trade players, I would trade Brady for Garrard.

LOL BradyMossWelker, well put.

Not only are the rankings completely subjective and all over the shop, they don't even have the figures correct. Since when did TBC get 7 sacks on the season?

By the way, Matt Roth apparently had a better season at 3-4 OLB than Elvis Dumervil.

I tried to determine how they came up with these "assessments" to no avail.

This is a British site and at this time I am really skeptical of their methods and data.

Not only are the rankings completely subjective and all over the shop, they don't even have the figures correct. Since when did TBC get 7 sacks on the season?

By the way, Matt Roth apparently had a better season at 3-4 OLB than Elvis Dumervil.

Yeah, this site is either bogus, a hoax or just very error ridden

Kelley Washington - #16 in WR

352jl8i.jpg

This is a British site and at this time I am really skeptical of their methods and data.

You don't believe they accurately measured how many goals Brady scored from various points on the pitch? :D

I tried to determine how they came up with these "assessments" to no avail.

Please don't try and insult us British as if we know nothing about the sport.

Happens a lot on here.

Some of you want to look in the mirror before you go insulting the real football as well.

Happens a lot on here.

Some of you want to look in the mirror before you go insulting the real football as well.

If an American cricket site suddenly popped up full of data and, using unpublished formulas, giving results you'd never seen before which were placing players in outlier positions that didn't make any sense to you, I'd hope you would be skeptical of that site as well.

Last edited:

Happens a lot on here.

Perhaps they only ranked the games played on British soil???

Thumbs down to ProFootballFocus.

Jason Snelling is far superior to Steven Jackson.

Happens a lot on here.

I don't think he was insulting the British people.

I think that wherever the website is created, it isn't the best. The formulas seem abit... random.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes