PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFootball Weekly: There is still a decent chance Mankins plays this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Profootball Weekly: There is still a decent chance Mankins plays this year

Mankins is NOT playing for this team again. He may get traded. He may eventually walk. He's NOT playing for this team. How this keeps being discussed is just amazing to me. The team hasnt called the guy since May. Nothing at this point is changing that. Nothing.

Agreed.

In a season without a cap, does overpaying your #3 safety really matter all that much?

Sanders is still a steady player who helped right the ship in the secondary at the end of the last year. He's not a playmaker, he's not a star, but he has value to us.

We have Bingo.

If a new contract is signed for 2011, the chances are high that it will make Mankins, McNeil, et al. UFAs.

I think there's very little chance Mankins rejoins the Patriots unless and until he has major reason to think he won't be a UFA next season (whenever next season winds up being).

If he DOES decide he's unfree, then he can say "I hate caving in to that corporation. On the other hand, I love playing football, I love earning all this money, I do really like the team from a football standpoint, and there are many, many people much worse off in their job situations than I am."

Truth be told, I wonder whether he loves football. That he loves sports is obvious, but maybe football is just the thing he's good enough to make a lot of money at.

We have Bingo.

Aside from the fact that a lockout looms and this team never knowingly overpays, let alone for guys who aren't all in core leaders or to whom playing football (and preferably here) doesn't matter...sure. :rolleyes:

Like Brady noted recently, those are the guys this team chooses to walk away from because at the end of the day, talent aside, they just aren't a system fit.

If a new contract is signed for 2011, the chances are high that it will make Mankins, McNeil, et al. UFAs.

I think there's very little chance Mankins rejoins the Patriots unless and until he has major reason to think he won't be a UFA next season (whenever next season winds up being).

If he DOES decide he's unfree, then he can say "I hate caving in to that corporation. On the other hand, I love playing football, I love earning all this money, I do really like the team from a football standpoint, and there are many, many people much worse off in their job situations than I am."

Truth be told, I wonder whether he loves football. That he loves sports is obvious, but maybe football is just the thing he's good enough to make a lot of money at.

I am certain that the owners of RFAs who haven't signed yet aren't going to let those RFAs leave without getting some compensation for them. And it isn't just guys like Jackson, McNeill, and Mankins. There are other RFAs who don't have the big names who are sitting at home as well.

Also, if these guys don't play by the 10th game, they don't get an accrued season. And if they are on the Roster-Exempt list, then they need to be signed by the 7th game.

If it goes into the regular season I think it'll go the way of Branch and we'll see a trade.

If it gets resolved before the season the only way I see it getting done is some combination of a one year deal where they pay him more than the original tender and/or they agree not to franchise him next season similar to Samuel's franchise year.

I don't see them getting a long term deal done if the different rumors are true that he turned down 5/35 or 7/49.

Mankins is NOT playing for this team again. He may get traded. He may eventually walk. He's NOT playing for this team. How this keeps being discussed is just amazing to me. The team hasnt called the guy since May. Nothing at this point is changing that. Nothing.

Things can change on a dime. The Pats offering Mankins close to what he wants or an attractive one year deal and an agreement not to franchise him can do wonders. For all we know, after seeing so many players playing hardball with the Pats and losing, Mankins' agent figured this strategy would get a deal done.

One thing reported yesterday on Dale and Holley is that Mankins is and has been living in New England since the start of camp. If he wasn't planing to ever come back to the team, why would he still be here. The guy is from California and spends his offseasons there.

Mankins is gonna be BS when he reads about Mangold's big $ deal

Last edited:

Things can change on a dime. The Pats offering Mankins close to what he wants or an attractive one year deal and an agreement not to franchise him can do wonders. For all we know, after seeing so many players playing hardball with the Pats and losing, Mankins' agent figured this strategy would get a deal done.

One thing reported yesterday on Dale and Holley is that Mankins is and has been living in New England since the start of camp. If he wasn't planing to ever come back to the team, why would he still be here. The guy is from California and spends his offseasons there.

I recall we found out he was in NE prior to the start of camp, but I thought he left after his hissy fit PC. His wife just had a 4th child, so his being here would be a little odd unless the family is also here and that ranch isn't only self supporting it's fully automated... I though he worked on his dad's ranch in the offseason, too. So it's likely this is a family business and not a ranch he owns outright. Otherwise how'd he pay for it without touching his rookie contract money...

I can't see them offering the no franchise deal because it sets a horrendous precedent. Many teams agree to not tag a player a second time, in part because it's not affordable to. The only ones I can think of who have preemptively agreed to never tag a player did so in long term deals they are both living to regret, Asamougha and Revis. I also can't see him coming in for a one year deal unless it was well in excess of what he was guaranteed on the long term deal on the table, and that ain't happening. I could see them reinstating the original RFA as an olive branch, but they aren't going to extend olive branches to a loose cannon who publicly disses the owner.

NFL Network is saying Mangold's contract is 7 years and with incentives up to 55M. They didn't list the guaranteed money and I know he's a center but it's a close enough comparison. Maybe they can use this as a baseline.

I am certain that the owners of RFAs who haven't signed yet aren't going to let those RFAs leave without getting some compensation for them. And it isn't just guys like Jackson, McNeill, and Mankins. There are other RFAs who don't have the big names who are sitting at home as well.

Also, if these guys don't play by the 10th game, they don't get an accrued season. And if they are on the Roster-Exempt list, then they need to be signed by the 7th game.

I believe there are only three RFA's who haven't signed and they are VJ, MacNeill and Logan. But I do agree that owners aren't going to allow all the RFA's from this season and next season to become UFA's all at once if a new CBA is agreed to without as some pundit suggested recently insisting on two franchise tags in 2011 as part of a transition into a new CBA.

A dire prediction indeed...but one with which I unfortunately agree.

The OL & OLBs are the Pats' Achilles Heels this year, and will likely prevent them from doing anything in (or perhaps even making) the POs.

Last edited:

ya well, others beg to differ

Friends: Don’t count on Logan Mankins - BostonHerald.com

according to mankins, the pats haven't contacted him since 5/4

That doesn't mean anything. Contact would have to be between the Patriots and his agent, since he's not under contract, and I can't see his agent permitting anyone from the Patriots to contact Mankins directly without him being allowed to listen in.

I've said this before, and I am saying it again: I think that the real problem lies with Mankins' agent. I believe that his agent has NOT told Mankins the entire truth, and that Mankins is being poorly served in this situation.

Were it to be me in charge of negotiations, I'd be asking for a one on one meeting between me and Mankins, with his agent present, to clear the air and see what's going on.

That's just my personal opinion, but to my mind, it makes sense.

Just sayin'

Since the franchise tag for offensive linemen would pay Mankins considerably more than Evans will be making, people should probably stop assuming that's going to be the solution. If the Patriots had been willing to pay Mankins OL franchise money, Logan wouldn't have missed a millisecond of camp.

Since the franchise tag for offensive linemen would pay Mankins considerably more than Evans will be making, people should probably stop assuming that's going to be the solution. If the Patriots had been willing to pay Mankins OL franchise money, Logan wouldn't have missed a millisecond of camp.

You and others have said this before. I wish there was a easily noticeable FAQ section here where stuff like this e.g. lots of the things Miguel posts, could reside and prevent repeated disinformation. I forget some of these things and re-learn them the hard way.

Last edited:

You and others have said this before. I wish there was a easily noticeable FAQ section here where stuff like this e.g. lots of the things Miguel posts, could reside and prevent repeated disinformation. I forget some of these things and re-learn them the hard way.

It's an easy one to forget, because we look at guards and tackles differently. However, for franchise tag purposes, all offensive linemen are treated as one group. Had the Patriots tagged Mankins this season, for example, Mankins would be making $10.731 million.

Official NFL franchise, transition tag numbers for 2010 | NJ.com

Didn't stop them from tagging Cassel when it meant paying him more than Brady was making...because they were never going to. In a tag and trade and particularly one where the player is determined to never set foot in the building again, it's not a big deal. If they don't find a taker they can always rescind the tag if it's constricting them at some point...

Didn't stop them from tagging Cassel when it meant paying him more than Brady was making...because they were never going to. In a tag and trade and particularly one where the player is determined to never set foot in the building again, it's not a big deal. If they don't find a taker they can always rescind the tag if it's constricting them at some point...

1.) You can't trade him if he hasn't signed the tag.

2.) If he's signed the tag, you can't rescind it.

3.) At $10.731 million, Mankins would essentially make back everything people are considering "lost" by not playing this year, and would be doing so with one less season of wear and tear on his body.

If the Patriots were to tag Mankins, they'd be giving Mankins more power than he's had in this entire scenario to date.

1.) You can't trade him if he hasn't signed the tag.

2.) If he's signed the tag, you can't rescind it.

3.) At $10.731 million, Mankins would essentially make back everything people are considering "lost" by not playing this year, and would be doing so with one less season of wear and tear on his body.

If the Patriots were to tag Mankins, they'd be giving Mankins more power than he's had in this entire scenario to date.

Exactly, Mankins would throw a party. He'd still have a 1 year injury risk but 1 year for 11M is pretty good money.

BB took a risk with Cassel that he'd sign it and BB wouldn't be able to trade him for anything (IMO). It worked out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back