PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFootball Weekly: Pats appear to be moving Meriweather to CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, there isn't any basis for these articles except the musing of the author, right?

Exactly - the author, along with all of us, read the draft reviews from last year saying that Merriweather could play multiple positions in the secondary.

But we all know it took him nearly a full season to get comfortable at Safety, facing the ball. While I don't doubt BB might WANT him to develop further so he might provide depth at CB, I tend to doubt he's counting on that.

Still, everyone who thinks its a done deal that we'll draft a CB at #7 should keep in mind that even local reporters with actual sources have been getting word that the front office doesn't think they're as weak at CB as everyone else does.

Of course, leading up to the draft, you can't trust anyone anyone says.

That article did not seem like anything worth reading. It seems as if it is nothing but speculation. I feel VERY COMFORTABLE with Meriweather starting at the FS spot. He can provide a dynamic the Patriots haven't had in coverage for years. He wasn't known as "The Hit Stick" at Miami for nothing.

I get the feeling that profootballweekly's "source" is Patsinsider over on ESPN's messageboard.

I'm on the fence about this. The Pats have 4 safeties that are capable of starting (Rodney, Sanders, Meriweather, and Tank Williams) and only really need 3. I'm certain Tank Williams was signed as a back up; however, he is pretty good and I could easily see him being used as one of 2 deep safeties in formations where we are using Rodney as a rover to cover underneath. Rodney is going to start. He would have retired otherwise. Meanwhile we have Sanders and Meriweather, both of whom have earned a starting spot IMO yet not enough places to start them. I think the Tank Williams signing indicates that we are at least contemplating switching someone's position. Meriweather is the most athletic of the bunch and thus he seems like the logical choice to switch.

I get the feeling that profootballweekly's "source" is Patsinsider over on ESPN's messageboard.

PFW's source is probrably Heinz.

I don't doubt that it's crossed the coaches minds to move Meriweather, but they talk like he was and will be an absolute faliure at safety, leading to this "move". He wasn't and, he won't be.

i haven't seen it mentioned much on here but Meriweather absolutely destroyed one of the Chargers receivers in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game. He can hit. Now if he just starts catching the ball he'll be an impact player.

What a stupid article, a misleading message thread title.

Meriweather is a big hitter, it was one of his prime characteristics in all the draft previews last spring, and when he got the chance to play I think he lived up to that billing.

The Pats will find corners, either via the draft or through scouring the trade market and FA lists. I don't believe for a minute that Meriweather will be changing positions this season, just as he's starting to get comfortable in the safety slot.

I'm on the fence about this. The Pats have 4 safeties that are capable of starting (Rodney, Sanders, Meriweather, and Tank Williams) and only really need 3. I'm certain Tank Williams was signed as a back up; however, he is pretty good and I could easily see him being used as one of 2 deep safeties in formations where we are using Rodney as a rover to cover underneath. Rodney is going to start. He would have retired otherwise. Meanwhile we have Sanders and Meriweather, both of whom have earned a starting spot IMO yet not enough places to start them. I think the Tank Williams signing indicates that we are at least contemplating switching someone's position. Meriweather is the most athletic of the bunch and thus he seems like the logical choice to switch.

Tank Williams hasn't done much since his injury. I hope he turns his career around in NE, but at this point he's a question mark to even make the roster. Also, Tank is a SS, who's skill set is more similar to Rodney's. So, I don't know that Rodney and Tank would be on the field at the same time very often.

I'd personally like to see Meriweather playing FS, with Rodney and Sanders rotating at SS. You could have all three on the field at once, with Rodney in the box, and Sanders back in coverage with Meriweather. I will say that Meriweather has some slot CB ability, but he obviously likes playing Safety a lot more.

Last edited:
Sanders, maybe. When Wilson was good, he was a beast. He had a ton of knockout hits his first 2 years. He got soft when Rodney got hurt.

Wilson got "soft" NOT when Rodney was hurt, but when he broke his arm in the SB while trying to lay someone out.

Wilson got "soft" NOT when Rodney was hurt, but when he broke his arm in the SB while trying to lay someone out.
I think it was also related to tearing a groin muscle in the SB and was out for a while the next season. What ever it was it happened starting the year after the SB with Carolina. At least thats the way it seems to me.

Last edited:
Tank Williams hasn't done much since his injury. I hope he turns his career around in NE, but at this point he's a question mark to even make the roster. Also, Tank is a SS, who's skill set is more similar to Rodney's. So, I don't know that Rodney and Tank would be on the field at the same time very often.

I'd personally like to see Meriweather playing FS, with Rodney and Sanders rotating at SS. You could have all three on the field at once, with Rodney in the box, and Sanders back in coverage with Meriweather. I will say that Meriweather has some slot CB ability, but he obviously likes playing Safety a lot more.

You are right, Tank hasn't. However when Tank went down to injury the team moved Darren Sharper to SS and Dwight Smith stepped in at FS. Dwight played well enough to earn his spot and Tank is certainly no Darren Sharper so Tank was stuck as a backup. The lack of production was from a lack of playing time. I expect he will prove to be a perfectly capable safety for the Pats.

The formation I was referring to is something we occasionally use against a pass heavy attack. 2 deep safeties and Rodney underneath (since he really covers more like a fast linebacker than a safety at this point in his career). My point is this formation WOULD still work with Tank at one of the safety spots. I will concede however that the formation is probably more effective with Sanders and Meriweather at safety.

I like Meriweather at free safety too but I think Tank would be a much better backup SS than Sanders. I guess its possible that Sanders just gets the short end of the stick and is stuck in a back up FS role but I think that would be a shame since he has played the position well for us.

Merriweather has all the makings of a class CB.

i haven't seen it mentioned much on here but Meriweather absolutely destroyed one of the Chargers receivers in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game. He can hit. Now if he just starts catching the ball he'll be an impact player.

he destroyed vincent jackson and knocked him out of the game for awhile...that was a sweet hit.

************. Ellis Hobbs is our number one corner. That just sank in.

How the hell do you win one playoff game with that situation?

Weak inside LB corps, poor CBs. Helllooooooo 2005!

The Hobbs hate is getting old the man played injured, he actually got an interception during the 19th game of the year unlike mr ***ante.
He is a very young solid corner and has nowhere to go but up on his impact he makes during a game.
He is our best defensive back when the ball is in the air.
Do you recall how well he defended that pass in the endzone against the Dolphins?
I don't care about the play to Plax blame Pees for that one which is why Mr Pees meet mr Capers now go get your frickin shine box.

The Hobbs hate is getting old the man played injured, he actually got an interception during the 19th game of the year unlike mr ***ante.
He is a very young solid corner and has nowhere to go but up on his impact he makes during a game.
He is our best defensive back when the ball is in the air.
Do you recall how well he defended that pass in the endzone against the Dolphins?
I don't care about the play to Plax blame Pees for that one which is why Mr Pees meet mr Capers now go get your frickin shine box.

Cosign... I like Hobbs, he gets alot of hate for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes