Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Take it for what it is worth:

Meriweather could help alleviate Patriots' CB conundrum

A quick glance at the Patriots' depth chart at cornerback reveals just how poor the situation is. The two players penciled in as starters, Ellis Hobbs and Bills castoff Jason Webster, are undersized, injury-prone and marginal players. According to one team insider, the situation could be considerably aided by the move of Brandon Meriweather from safety to corner. An '07 first-round pick, Meriweather had a rough rookie season, appearing lost and physically unprepared to meet the demands of the NFL. In fairness to him, part of his problem was a coaching blunder of starting him out at corner, then moving him back to safety — the position he starred at during his collegiate career at Miami (Fla.) — thereby stunting his absorption of the playbook. But a permanent move to corner appears to be the best approach. He's exceptionally quick and has very good speed but isn't nearly the physical hitter that the Patriots covet at safety.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm

Also from Profootball Weekly:

Despite his dynamic ability, it’s likely that Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs won’t be returning kickoffs next season. Hobbs, who’s coming off shoulder and groin injuries, is the best of a weak CB corps, and the Pats can ill afford to risk the possibility of his succumbing to injuries on special teams. WR Chad Jackson is a leading candidate to assume KR duties.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers032208.htm

You heard it here first. They draft Dorsey and move Wilfork to corner.

Seriously, there isn't any basis for these articles except the musing of the author, right?

I'm guessing they use Jackson on kickoffs, but i don't have a column.

Last edited:
Meriweather had a rough rookie season, appearing lost and physically unprepared to meet the demands of the NFL.

So they play him out of position? Makes sense to me... :confused:

a permanent move to corner appears to be the best approach.

between now and the draft, people need to stop predicting that meriweather is going to be a CB, lets see what we draft first then speculate after, the off season is young enough with this poor speculations

oh so Meriweather was unprepared and looked so lost that we played him more in the playoffs than hes played all year? i completely understand...not

He's exceptionally quick and has very good speed but isn't nearly the physical hitter that the Patriots covet at safety.

That's a joke right? I clearly remember Meriweather laying multiple people out with big hits last year... and he looked pretty good in the playoffs, at Safety.

Edit: Also, he's a bigger hitter than Sanders, or Eugene Wilson ever was. So, I'll take that article with a grain of salt, and a laugh.

Last edited:

Maybe that's why the Pats and Vince aren't talking extension just yet. Vince wants CB money, not DT money:D

The author of that article is a pretty big hitter....on the hash pipe

That's a joke right? I clearly remember Meriweather laying multiple people out with big hits last year... and he looked pretty good in the playoffs, at Safety.

Edit: Also, he's a bigger hitter than Sanders, or Eugene Wilson ever was. So, I'll take that article with a grain of salt, and a laugh.
Great point.
DW Toys

You sir are out of your mind. V.Wilfork is much better suited to play FS than corner. Making that Meriweather move all the more logical.

WHOA! we should have seen this coming since his Hurricanes nickname was "Can't hit stick." Oh THAT'S RIGHT... it turns out he's been known for physical hitting since way back in college (er, a couple years ago,) and was an impressive physical presence when he was on the field last year.

I think the guy knew Meriweather isn't huge, and just threw in the random stuff about not hitting based on knowing he isn't huge.

Some clown in Indy probably said the same thing early on about Bob Sanders at one point or another. I know, I know, he ain't all that. Yet, anyway.

That said - one point he was drafted for was versatility. It's a blessing to have that when a weakness shows up elsewhere. But it's a mistake to confuse using that versatility with rating him a failure at safety.

PFnV

Bad move if they do. Meriweather is a better saftey than corner.

Oh, so the Fernando Bryant signing doesn't factor in at all? We don't know who our top two corners are going to be yet.

Plus, I think Hobbs had to play further off of receivers because Sanders isn't the best option for over the top coverage. If Meriweather, with his speed, is behind Hobbs, I think that frees him up to be more aggressive on the curl and out routes.

I don't think it's a bad idea to draft a corner somewhere, but I don't think we're as bad off as this article thinks.

Exactly, I would say the exact opposite. The kid can hit but can't cover, his best position is safety. I would rather see Bryant, Lewis or Sanders start opposite Hobbs. If this is the case the starting CBs would definitely be in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Sanders, maybe. When Wilson was good, he was a beast. He had a ton of knockout hits his first 2 years. He got soft when Rodney got hurt.

Merriweather hits hard, he just can't catch a ball to save his life. With Bryant in the fold, I think Merriweather might be the 1st safety off the bench and a nickel back.

Maybe that's why the Pats and Vince aren't talking extension just yet. Vince wants CB money, not DT money:D

We are going to be innovative on defense and put all of our linemen in coverage and put all of the backs up front.

I just hope that the Patriots organization listens to the people in this thread saying Merriweather is much better suited at safety.

I wouldn't want the Patriots to make a mistake or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes