PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Procopio's Position Preview - QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoyer is a RFA next year. Mallett wouldn't make it through waivers. But you nailed the Brady part...

agreed....Mallet would be picked up in a second....:eek:

Probability of trading Hoyer this pre-season >>>>> Probability of trying to "sneak" Mallett on to the PS

You have GOT to be kidding me citing The Hammer as "one of the last cuts" :eek:
A major WTF
It's one thing not to be game day active, totally another to consider the utter insanity of trying to waive this guy to the PS.
Consider the dearth of QB talent in our own division, Buffalo and Miami never mind throughout the league. Writers need to learn something about the NFL before writing.

Probability of trading Hoyer this pre-season >>>>> Probability of trying to "sneak" Mallett on to the PS

This...........

If Mallett has a good preseason and picks up the system, I think it's much more likely to get a trade involving Hoyer then to try to sneak Mallett to the PS. Hell, I'd even say that there is a better chance of carrying 3 then risking waivers with the kids.

If they try to release him to the PS, then I would say it's a clear indicator that BB smells a bust and has no long term interest in him.

You have GOT to be kidding me citing The Hammer as "one of the last cuts" :eek:
A major WTF
It's one thing not to be game day active, totally another to consider the utter insanity of trying to waive this guy to the PS.
Consider the dearth of QB talent in our own division, Buffalo and Miami never mind throughout the league. Writers need to learn something about the NFL before writing.

+1 :agree: 10 char

I'll say what you guys have said. "Practice squad"?? Does this writer understand how the PS works? And how it would be basically impossible to slip Ryan Mallet onto ours? I feel a little bad here. That suggestion makes this writer seem kinda dumb.

Can't wait for next weeks RB preview, where we learn that Laurence Maroney is 'no sure thing' to make the roster.

I misunderstood the meaning of it. I take responsibility for that. I was under the impression those guys weren't free agents and property of the team. No reason to get hostile... honest mistake.

and obviously you can't please everyone, but wow the haters and critics are crazy. This is from our own kind! What happens when the Jets and Giants fans start rolling in?

Can't wait! in my Bart Scott Voice

I misunderstood the meaning of it. I take responsibility for that. I was under the impression those guys weren't free agents and property of the team. No reason to get hostile... honest mistake.

You shouldn't write articles about subjects you know little about.

The last effort I read of yours was less then impressive also.

And Im sorry I labeled you 'dumb' for doing so. It was an honest mistake. But you know this crew isnt your average, uneducated group. We're relatively up to speed with the ins and outs of the game. Just study up and go that extra mile to ensure your readers get your very best.

And Im sorry I labeled you 'dumb' for doing so. It was an honest mistake. But you know this crew isnt your average, uneducated group. We're relatively up to speed with the ins and outs of the game. Just study up and go that extra mile to ensure your readers get your very best.

agreed. i can see that. thanks for the feedback

Yeah Mike, I concur with Russ. I certainly didn't mean to be to critical of your article (hope it didn't come off that way). I'm certainly just an average football guy here, so far be it from me to be overly critical to other.

On the other hand, when you read early in the article that Mallett is likely to be the heir apparent to TB (which I think BB picked him for just that POSSIBILITY), it's gonna raise even my eyebrows :) . He just is not a practice squad contender. He was only passed on because of perceived behavioral issues (no one ever questioned his talent or technique), so he'd never make it through waivers prior to getting to the PS. We kind of stole him out from under a few noses during the draft (the genius of BB).

Ultimately, I think his talent and technique will outshine Hoyer and Hoyer will be traded after getting a chance to remind other teams he is a serviceable backup this preseason. I like Hoyer, but he just doesn't have the frame or arm that Mallett does. Our current QB situation is an embarrassment of riches when you look at some teams around the league. It's possible all 3 of our QB's would start in places like Buffalo. ;)

If Mallett shows he can operate in this system (and he is so far by all accounts), he'll be our backup. If he's a little slower in picking it up, but still shows promise, we'll carry 3 till he is ready. If he gets released, or sent to the PS (and picked up elsewhere), he was never meant to be here.

Last edited:

OK, I've been wrong here too.
But I'm a casual fan poster while you're a writer and will be held to a higher standard.
Folks here know their football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back