PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Well, here's the main problems I saw... add to the list what you see fit.

1) Line play: Saints got consistent pressure on Brady, whereas we got none on Brees. This is a recurring issue for years now, I don't get why we can't get to the QB. And for whatever reason, the OL just didn't hold up today (RB/TE blocking in particular was just never there when needed).

2) Wilhite and the DBs: He got beat numerous times for scores, and then two other awful plays by the safeties where they bit and shadowed on the wrong receiver (one being by Meriweather). Poor 3rd down coverage and even worse on first down. Sloppy tackling as well.

3) Brady: Not sure what the hell happened tonight with him, but he was just crap. Both picks were lazy and completely errant throws. Missed a couple deep bombs too which would've been scores, and just generally off-target or bad with his timing on routes.

I'm really shocked to see Brady digress coming off an injury. Goes to show that he is human after all. It's just night and day when you compare 07 and 09. The 3 and outs, the delay of games / almost delay of games on every snap, the placement, the missed reads. It's unfortunate but as a whole this team screams average. 12-4 with a win or two in the playoffs is the best case scenario. I'm not fair weather but it is what it is.

I can't see how Wilhite gets all the blame, the safeties were just as bad. Bodden is the only guy you never really saw getting burned. Does Belichick really have so much confidence in Wilhite that he's leave him all alone on a pretty good receiver? I don't get how DBs can completely take Randy Moss out of games, yet we can't seem to do that against any one.

I'm really shocked to see Brady digress coming off an injury. Goes to show that he is human after all. It's just night and day when you compare 07 and 09. The 3 and outs, the delay of games / almost delay of games on every snap, the placement, the missed reads. It's unfortunate but as a whole this team screams average. 12-4 with a win or two in the playoffs is the best case scenario. I'm not fair weather but it is what it is.

I see a lot of these issues related more to the o cord. The plays must be getting into him late because the delays are happening way to much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here's the main problems I saw... add to the list what you see fit.

Line play: Saints got consistent pressure on Brady rushing only 3 most of the time.

Moss looked almost disinterested most of the game. If he does not get his receptions early he jogs. Also his "blocking" was a joke.

Maroney fumbled for the 3rd straight game.

Pats are 0-4 at on the road (not counting the London game) and they will be on the road in the Playoffs

the delay of games / almost delay of games on every snap, the placement.

They are doing this because they want to eat up the clock as much as possible, which goes back to lack of faith in the defense.

Personally I think we should play the no huddle more often.

Get Brady's ass under center, and have the WR's start running more routes than quick slant, and go patterns.

We used to have a creative offense. It is predictable now...

Maybe the Pats should take some of the pressure off of Brady with the playcalling.Just going to Moss and Welker is killing the offense. Not having that third receiver is big, to bad they missed on Galloway.

3) Brady: Not sure what the hell happened tonight with him, but he was just crap. Both picks were lazy and completely errant throws. Missed a couple deep bombs too which would've been scores, and just generally off-target or bad with his timing on routes.

He's been hot and cold all season and as someone pointed out in another thread we hardly see him fired up on the sidelines anymore. Something's definitely off...If I didn't know better, I'd think he was dating Tara Reid again.

I can't see how Wilhite gets all the blame, the safeties were just as bad. Bodden is the only guy you never really saw getting burned. Does Belichick really have so much confidence in Wilhite that he's leave him all alone on a pretty good receiver? I don't get how DBs can completely take Randy Moss out of games, yet we can't seem to do that against any one.

Pass rush. That can make a mediocre secondary a great one. The Pats managed to win games with Troy Brown, Earthwind Moreland and the disinterred corpse of O-T-I-S because their defensive gameplanning made their pass rush a threat.

When you give guys like Manning, Brees or a few others the kind of time the Pats have given opposing QBs, they will pick you apart all night and day. Brady would do/does the same thing when he gets time to throw the ball.

Can someone please explain to me why the Saints can get touchdowns from 17 different jag receivers but we can't get one from Moss or Welker?

Oh and BTW Jonathan Wilhite should be cut yesterday, he is horrible.

Oh yeah one more thing, our OL sucks. 3 man rush and they are teeing off on Brady.

I think the biggest problem with this team is coaching, they play sloppy on offense (people always blame coaching for that), the play calling, very little winkles. And they should've never lost that Denver game, that game is the Jets game from last year. If we don't get the second seed, that might be that game, just like not beating the jets at home probably cost the Pats a playoff birth last season.

Last edited:
He's been hot and cold all season and as someone pointed out in another thread we hardly see him fired up on the sidelines anymore. Something's definitely off...If I didn't know better, I'd think he was dating Tara Reid again.

What the **** does it matter who he is dating? He is married. Who is the oline dating or the defense? Where did they learn to tackle.

I see where your coming from, but Brady playing like that is all about the protection. The Saints came out and said they would study the Giants Superbowl film (how the got to brady) You cannot function as a QB with that kind of pressure. They did nothing to stop it. On the other hand, We dont seem to have the scheme. Remember back in 07 when we could spread em out and take shots to gaffny, stallworth, moss, welker, faulk? Now all the focus is on Randy and wes. They are playing press on the two. We have a lot to fix

tom brady.....ill give him most blame for this loss

2 int's when we could ill afford them, and never really made a play i can remember....

How is it that New Orleans found a way to get pressure on Brady with only 3 linemen.... and the Pats can't get pressure with 4-5???
and i'm not talking just about this game, this goes back to many of the games!

... on a side note, the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens would not have been able to stop Drew Brees on this night. He was unstoppable. The Saints have been almost unbeatable in their dome since 2006 anyways.

I think the biggest problem is the guys directing the defense and offense. They are both weak and exploitable and are doing BB no favours. They struggle calling proper plays in the red zone on both sides of the ball. Both are truly horrid at adjusting their gameplans at halftime. Both fatal flaws for a team with championship caliber talent.

The one thing both coordinators can do is devise a very good gameplan to start off games. But, frankly, my guess is that has more to do with BB telling them what to do and then allowing them to implement what BB has come up with than it is any particular skill or talent on their part.

I'd have to see it again to be sure (fat chance of that), but it seemed like the Saints weren't really pressuring Brady a lot during the early going...maybe not until the 2nd quarter, so I'm thinking it was either an adjustment by the Saints or some sort of mental breakdown by the Pats somewhere.

The shift in playcalling balance from run to pass might have had something to do with it. Tough to tell.

I think Moss is also to blame. I can't remember this guy getting the seperation that he did in '07 even when teams double/triple teamed him.

The announcers were correct in praising the schemes and playcalling of the saints (both on offense and on defense.

I don't think we have a better team than the saints at the moment. HOWEVER, we were embarrassed by a saints defense that was playing without its top three corners. The starting corners had been on the team for one and two weeks. We do NOT have the best offense in the league. We are not close to that of the saints.

I do believe that much of difference between the teams tonight had to do with the difference in the quality of coaching (on both sides of the ball). I can remember when it was the patriots who confused the opposing defenses with our playcalling and the variety of our offense. I can remember when it the patriots who confused the opposing offenses with our defenses; the offenses of the opponents didn't know what was coming.

We are still in the hunt for the Super Bowl, but the patriots I remember are of another era from the team I have watched this year. How many times before this year did a Belichick fail to win when they led at halftime? When was the last time that we had so many road losses? When was the last time a Belichick gave up 3 TD's in a quarter?

It is a sad day. I must say that I expected to lose to the colts and the saints. We are where I expected to be. But why do I feel so strongly that if Charlie and Romeo were here we'd have another win or two?

Giants actually used 3 man rushes alot in the big dance and got the pressure there. Saints mixed it up, 3 man, all out, zone, corner. At some point you have to do something about it. Saints were the better team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots