Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pro-gay marriage Massachusetts divorce rate half that of bible thumping red states?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Phokus

Phokus Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/w.../p>&adxnnlx=1188050531-ncOY1lwz1Y927FKy60o65g

That's pretty astonishing. Evangelical Christians keep beating the drum that they are the torch holders for 'moral values' and states like MA are destroying marriage... yet they have much higher incidents of divorce than MA.

I guess after a while, if you live in the bible belt, even the dumbest redneck bush lover finally realizes they married their sister at SOME point :p

2. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Re: Pro-gay marriage Massachusetts divorce rate half that of bible thumping red state

HAHAHAHA YOUR SO FUNNY - because EVERY person in the south supports Bush, every person in the south is dumb, EVERY person in the south is christian, EVERY person in the south married their sister!

Perhaps you should read something less slandered:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

While showing that christians have a higher divorce rate then athiests, it splits it up nicely showing all sorts of statistics you can askew to show your point of the argument.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Re: Pro-gay marriage Massachusetts divorce rate half that of bible thumping red state

That's a pretty defensive post, fleabassist. It does appear that the Bible Belt has higher divorce rates and that Massachusetts has a very low one. The NYT article offers some very rational reasons for why divorce might be lower in Massachusetts, but one things for sure, gay marriage hasn't done any harm as some of the fundie extremists claimed it would.

4. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes, I will agree with that

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Gay marriage hasn't been around long enough to have any sort of impact. Of course I wouldn't expect much of one when enough time has passed. Same thing with MA's universal healthcare which became law last month, nobody's appreciably healthier yet.

6. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are a #1 IDIOT. You sound like a 9 to 5 looser.
    let me guess, you are a demorat.

7. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A Democrat

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Thanks for sharing Patfaninchina, but everyone here is making an effort to reduce the unnecessary and useless insults. So perhaps you could be kind enough to take that mindset with you over to the Counter Strike message board?

9. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Thank's for the thoughtful and insightful post. Either you are trying to be sarcastic or you really truly believe I am a Democrat... which is wrong.

Now, on that note - back to the discussion!

All I was trying to say in that post is: While I agree with the political idea behind the first post, I do not think that this link has anything to do with it. I posted another link that breaks up marraige by state, religion and other - trying to play devil's advocate.

10. Phokus

Phokus Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

No that's not "for sure". It depends on your reason for being against gay marriage and the divorce rate isn't the reason for most.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

I read the article and I'm trying to figure out what your point, or conclusion is. By your title I got the idea that you were implying that gay married couples divorced at a lower rate than christians. Then, when I opened the thread, I saw that you were making fun of Evangelical Christians, and taking the position that they were all Bush supporters. The "moral values" bit is strange to me, since a divorce can happen for a number of reasons, some of which are not moral issues, but I digress.... Lastly, I then see how you call everyone from the bible belt a dumb redneck who marries their sister. GREAT!

I'm perplexed by both your position, and the article you provided. First of all, the article you linked is from 2004, when gay marraige wasn't, or barely was legal in Massachusetts. So I'm not sure how you would compare gay married couples to hetero's from those red neck, sister marrying states. So, assumming you weren't trying to make that specific comparison, it brings me to wonder how you can call Massachusetts "pro-gay marraige" since every public poll has repeatedly showed that the actual citizens of this state disaprove of it. Massachusetts isn't pro-gay marraige. It's judicial branch simply legalized it, and it's legislative refuses to permit the constitutional process from granting it's citizens their right to vote on it, and possibley ban it.

The article is a rag piece btw.

In 2003, the rate in Massachusetts was 5.7 divorces per 1,000 married people, compared with 10.8 in Kentucky, 11.1 in Mississippi and 12.7 in Arkansas.

"Some people are saying, 'The Bible Belt is so pro-marriage, but gee, they have the highest divorce rates in the country,' " said Barbara Dafoe Whitehead, co-director of the National Marriage Project at Rutgers University. "And there's a lot of worry in the red states about the high rate of divorce."

Ok, so 5.7 for that specific year. What does that mean exactly, and how does that directly relate to a persons faith? Were all of those people religious? What percentage were married in thier respective states? How long does the average married couple last prior to being divorced? I don't see any figures that show what percentage were bible boppers. What if 70% of the pop in those sister marrying, Bush loving, redneck states is christian, but their rate is 4.5%, and the other 30% of the pop in question is 21%. Hmmm....we just don't know that now do we? It's interesting how you, and people in the article, would pool an entire states figures and relate them to one specific group. Switch the particulars and draw some different conclusions and tell me how much criticism you'd draw. This article gives a very simplistic stat with which you've reached a bit with.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

I guess you missed the part that shows the article is from 2004.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

Actually I think flea is a hard core republican. He had Rush and Ann Coulter in his sig.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

I feel bad for that girl. They're kids afterall. The pressure on these kids must be rough. I couldn't imagine being 16, or 17 and being on a stage on national television. I really felt bad for her.

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Good thing for her she's smokin hot...she'll be needing that to eat and stay warm.