PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Weekly: Pats have legitimate interest in Lito Sheppard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just the way the Eagles and the Philly media are run-when players start getting "on the wrong side"(or however this expression is), then they will run a smear campaign on them.(WIP has done this many times with McNabb, FYI)

IF Samuels gets off to a slow start(or even goes through a rough period anytime in the season)-he's going to see the harsh reality as well. BTW-IMHO, he IS an elite corner, but he's in the WRONG system.

Asante is Elite, or Lito?

Clearly they have no faith in Lito. Do you mean to imply that his injury history is worse than we have been led to believe?

I have no information. Top young all pro with affordable deal that has always seemed like a great cornerback for them.

All of a sudden they take on a young hot cornerback, (who, by the way is overrated in the league right now) for huge money and haven't even worked out a trade for Shepard.

Is Philly stoopid? Not by their personnel history. In fact, maybe the best judge of value for veterans other than the Pats.

Sure smells funny, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Perhaps they, for some reason, think Asante is "the answer." I can't imagine that to be the case but sometimes...people think things, hell if I know. He picked Feeley off twice this year and pretty much capped the game with the that last one (if I am remembering events correctly) so perhaps they think he can bring that kind of game-changing ability to Philly. I think the "game-changing ability" is a product of the Pats system, but we will see over the next few years.

Asante-what I meant was that he's in the WRONG system. FYI-Marcus Trufant was initially on the Eagles' radar(before the Hawks tagged him, that is).

I think Asante is great, but I also think he is a product of the Pats system. I don't think he's Champ Bailey.

Perhaps they, for some reason, think Asante is "the answer." I can't imagine that to be the case but sometimes...people think things, hell if I know. He picked Feeley off twice this year and pretty much capped the game with the that last one (if I am remembering events correctly) so perhaps they think he can bring that kind of game-changing ability to Philly. I think the "game-changing ability" is a product of the Pats system, but we will see over the next few years.

I must have posted this at least 1000 times on many different MBs, but Marcus Trufant was on the Eagles' radar FIRST(until the Hawks franchised tagged him, that is). He WOULD have been ideal for them because the Hawks' defensive system is very similar to Jim Johnson's in Philly(which require very physical corners).

Obviously-the Eagles were desperate, and had alot of cap space to boot to do so, when they got AS.

I think Asante is great, but I also think he is a product of the Pats system. I don't think he's Champ Bailey.

The same thing could be said about Deion Branch-even when healthy, he hasn't exactly been a "game changer" for the Hawks as well.

I must have posted this at least 1000 times on many different MBs, but Marcus Trufant was on the Eagles' radar FIRST(until the Hawks franchised tagged him, that is). He WOULD have been ideal for them because the Hawks' defensive system is very similar to Jim Johnson's in Philly(which require very physical corners).

Obviously-the Eagles were desperate, and had alot of cap space to boot to do so, when they got AS.

Which makes the signing even more curious. They coughed up huge money to a guy who wasn't who they wanted when they had someone who doesn't fit the system. That's more than desperate, that is stupid.

The same thing could be said about Deion Branch-even when healthy, he hasn't exactly been a "game changer" for the Hawks as well.

I think Branch was a moron move by the seahawks. He is not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Which makes the signing even more curious. They coughed up huge money to a guy who wasn't who they wanted when they had someone who doesn't fit the system. That's more than desperate, that is stupid.

And the Eagles are also hypocrites-with all the whining how the Pats supposedly cheated them in SB39 et al, I'm SHOCKED that they attempted to raid their roster(not only Samuels, but they gave Moss an arm and a leg, and Eugene Wilson was on their radar as well).

Really though-in all fairness, Samuels would probably have excelled in Tampa's system(Cover 2 and their corners play outside technique). Ditto Indy.

And the Eagles are also hypocrites-with all the whining how the Pats supposedly cheated them in SB39 et al, I'm SHOCKED that they attempted to raid their roster(not only Samuels, but they gave Moss an arm and a leg, and Eugene Wilson was on their radar as well).

Really though-in all fairness, Samuels would probably have excelled in Tampa's system(Cover 2 and their corners play outside technique). Ditto Indy.

I'm not convinced of their ability to get the players they NEED. They absolutely would have a #1 WR if they could do that. TO and Moss are not the only two great receivers in the NFL.

Philly has a problem....signing Asante for what they did insults Lito (and a whole bunch of others on their defense as well). They need to move him and I would doubt they want him in their own division or even the NFC.

FYI-they even contacted THE DEADSKINS-but they wanted Shawn Springs and a 1st day pick in return.(Springs may be ageing and not as durable like earlier in his career, but he's still a pretty darn good man-man cover corner)

Again-Lito's whole "durability" issues are blown out of proportion. If they want to use this logic to get rid of him, they might as well put McNabb, Brian "hobbling knees" Westbrook, Tra "my back is blowing out" Thomas, and Shawn Andrews on the trading block as well-b/c none of them are very durable either.

FYI-they even contacted THE DEADSKINS-but they wanted Shawn Springs and a 1st day pick in return.(Springs may be ageing and not as durable like earlier in his career, but he's still a pretty darn good man-man cover corner)

Again-Lito's whole "durability" issues are blown out of proportion. If they want to use this logic to get rid of him, they might as well put McNabb, Brian "hobbling knees" Westbrook, Tra "my back is blowing out" Thomas, and Shawn Andrews on the trading block as well-b/c none of them are very durable either.

Wow, why would they try to trade him to a team in the division?? I would hate to trade a player only to have to face him twice a year.

If they seek a player AND a #1, count me out for sure. If they seek a #1, count me out.

Why would the Eagles sign Asante if they value Lito so highly and why get rid of him. If they think he is that good, why not just keep and play both of them?

Sheppard missed 5 games in 2007. Four of those games came early in the season, and one at the very end of the season.

Missed 3 games early in 2006.
missed 6 games at the end of 2005 (IR, as you mentioned)
Missed the final game of the 2004 season.
Missed one game late in 2003.

So, the past five years Sheppard has missed 16 games due to one injury or another, and he was banged up in others. Also, he's getting overrated by the fans on this board. He's a good CB, but not "one of the very best in the league", and he fits better in Philly's system.

scouting report:
Grade: 75 | Key
Alert: D

Comment: Sheppard is a six-year veteran out of Florida that was a first round pick of the Eagles in the 2002 draft. He has adequate size for the position but plays bigger than he measures. He has very quick feet and is close to being instant when he accelerates. He can pedal to extend the cushion but is a little tight in the hips when he has to turn and run with a receiver deep. If he gets behind by a step he can struggle to recover as he does not have premier top end speed. While he can be aggressive on run support he will pick his spots and can become a spectator at times. He is inconsistent in man-off or zone coverage and does not always get a great jump on the ball. He does not appear to have great route recognition or else he is trying to bait the quarterback into throwing to his man. He is best in press coverage where he can get his hands on the receiver and try to re-route him. Sheppard has good ball skills and can compete for the ball against even the taller receivers. He has struggled to get in a full season, missing one, then five and finally three games over the past three seasons.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=5912
Grading scale

79-70: Good Starter
Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player ... Has few weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/scouts/news/story?id=2996209

Fernando Bryant (currently on the Patriots roster) grades out at 70.

Also, his complaints about his current contract, and wanting to be traded (so he can get paid) are the most notable reasons for the Eagles even wanting to trade him.

Switching 7th for 19th overall, and an injury-prone CB, who wants more money, doesn't seem like a great idea.

I wouldn't even give him that large contract as a free agent, so I obviously don't think he's worth that large contract, and first day draft picks.

Plus, the 2008 draft class is loaded with quality CB's, who'll be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Plus, the 2008 draft class is loaded with quality CB's, who'll be a lot cheaper.

I think this may be the most important point - a LOT of depth at CB without having to pick too high. That does seem better than an injury prone guy who wants a bigger contract. If contract wasn't an issue, I think it would be the right move to swap picks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back