PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Weekly hearing that Asante will sign tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could understand he would sign to get the bucks.
But why sign by Training camp?
If no long term contract then why not wait until September to sign?

Good questions (BTW, I'm skeptical that he's going to sign).

He might be signing because he wants to blow the doors off in 2007 and he'll be better prepared to do that if he's in camp (and in a better position to get a big contract). Or, the Patriots might have made a deal that they won't franchise him in 2008 if he does camp. Or, he might have decided that he wasn't going to get the money he thought he was going to get and that he should see what works out in Foxboro.

Another thought. If this is true, there are two big questions remaining: Maroney's health and how long it takes for the new receiving corps to "mesh" with TB and the rest of the offense.

If Maroney is able to have a breakout year and if Randy et al get into a groove quickly, then, "Glory-be!" and "Fasten your seatbelts!" We might be in for one heckuva ride this year.

If he signs his tender, does he add to the tatoo?

GET PAID.....THE SEQUEL?

GET PAID II ?

GET PAID...MORE ?

GET PAID OR DIE HARD?

RICH AND RICHERER?

FARENHEIT $9.11 Million APY?

PACMAN BEGINS? (please no...)

ELLIS HOBBS THE THIRD? (think "Shrek")

....?

PFnV

Asante possibly showing up for TC.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2931425

• There are whispers that when all is said and done, Patriots CB Asante Samuel will show up in training camp and sign his franchise tender.

hopefully the rumors are true!

• We hear that the Patriots discouraged their players from granting interviews from the end of minicamp to the start of training camp because, during an important team-building time, the Patriots' coaching staff didn't want the players to believe their overwhelmingly positive press clippings.

Last edited:
Re: Asante possibly showing up for TC.

Interesting, wish we knew a little bit more about the whispers so we could know if they were credible.

Re: Asante possibly showing up for TC.

Hmmm... I hope it's true...

Not exactly enlightening but not bad to hear nonetheless.

even if Asante is playing..u have to question. Will he play hard? Or will he play not to get hurt? i think he'll play safety first and take it easy. all the money is guranteed

Last edited:
even if Asante is playing..u have to question. Will he play hard? Or will he play not to get hurt? i think he'll play safety first and take it easy. all the money is guranteed
I disagree - he will be playing for his next contract. The last thing he wants is have a less than stellar season and prove that everyone who says last year was a fluke are right.

I disagree - he will be playing for his next contract. The last thing he wants is have a less than stellar season and prove that everyone who says last year was a fluke are right.

people know how good he is when hes trying his hardest. the last thing he wants is to get hurt in a place he might not even care that much for. his "get paid" tattoo seems selfish and not a team player really.

- he doesnt want to get hurt and miss time or scare teams off

or

-hes gonna play another full season at 100% and if hes trying or not..it can show if last year was a fluke.(remember..how often to people play hard for someone or something they really dont love. if he loved being a Patriot or everyone in the organzation and lockerroom, he wouldnt be a cry baby over not getting 10 mill per year.

And if he does have another impressive season the Patriots will franchise him again next year. What a great system. :D

I could understand he would sign to get the bucks.
But why sign by Training camp?
If no long term contract then why not wait until September to sign?

Umm because he could get a lot of work getting ready during training camp?
He would also get used to his new teammates.
There are plenty of benefits to Asante to go to training camp.
The only reason he wouldn't go is if he is serious about holding out.

And if he does have another impressive season the Patriots will franchise him again next year. What a great system. :D
However it gets progressively more expensive to use the tag.
I believe it increases by 20% on top of the average of the 5 highest paid players at the position.

Last edited:
However it gets progressively more expensive to use the tag.
I believe it increases by 20% on top of the average of the 5 highest paid players at the position.

I think part of the new CBA is that if a player gets franchised two years in a row in the second year he is paid the average of the top five highest paid players in the NFL--regardless of position. Can anyone verify this?

Wow, man... who put the sand in your vag today?

Anyway, let me explain to you the concept behind a "rumors" column, something that has existed for centuries in journalism. While covering their beat, reporters often hear a lot of off-the-record inside chatter. If you can't get a source to go on record, or the source himself is just relating hearsay, you can't actually "break" it as news, and most often, the tidbits aren't really worth putting time and effort into pursuing.

Thus, you have the occasional "rumors" column, in which the paper's reporters dump a bunch of the random stuff they've heard during the course of reporting on other stories, stuff that either doesn't bare further investigation, or which they don't believe will be verifiable. So in a way, you're dead on when you call it "garbage"... it's basically the writers' dumping ground for unused or dead stories.

On the other hand, you're wrong to call it "speculation," at least on PFW's part. If they put it in a "whispers" column, it's because they've heard something from someone. How reliable that source is and the extent to which that source knows what he/she is talking about, though, is indeterminate, so no, this isn't hard news, and doesn't really tell us much, but it's not pure speculation like it would be when a columnist simply shares a hunch.

But the best part about it is:

If you have space to fill and it's a slow day anyway, you can make stuff up!!

That's right!! Just walk to the next desk and say "Joe, would you whisper 'Asante will sign'"?

Then you whisper something to Joe, both columns are now exciting and you haven't lied-it's just a rumor!!!

Last edited:
If Sante' sits down logically and thinks it out, this is the smartest move for him. Sign the tender, play for the $7mm and try this again next summer if he doens't sign long term by then.
I think all along it's been a no brainer...if he's that greedy and wishes not to wait a year...in other words if 7 mil is not enough...then....

But the best part about it is:

If you have space to fill and it's a slow day anyway, you can make stuff up!!

That's right!! Just walk to the next desk and say "Joe, would you whisper 'Asante will sign'"?

Then you whisper something to Joe, both columns are now exciting and you haven't lied-it's just a rumor!!!

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1011272

Well, sure looks to me like there are "sources close to Samuel" saying this stuff out there, so it's not surprising that PFW would hear it and report it in their whispers column while Tomase, as a local beat guy, would hear it, track them down, and get them to go on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back