Pro Football talk... Saban to interview with Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Interesting take from PFT, wonder is Nick is going back to the NCAA where he has had lot more success and control?? Wonder what the effect of this will have on the Dolphins??

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
SABAN INTERVIEWS WITH ALABAMA?

WALA-TV in Pensacola reports that Dolphins coach Nick Saban was scheduled to interview on Wednesday night with the University of Alabama for its vacant head-coaching position.

Saban reportedly issued a list of demands that must be met before he would consider the job.

Dolphins Senior V.P. of Media Relations Harvey Greene told the station, "We are not commenting on any rumors."

Though we love some good scuttlebutt as much as anyone, we're not buying this one. Saban declined an offer to dine with the President during training camp; why would he take time out of his schedule on a Wednesday night prior to a game against the Patriots to talk to anyone about anything other than getting ready for the game?

And there's no need for an interview, as we see it. This isn't about shaking hands and slapping backs. Either Alabama is willing to make Saban an offer better than the deal he now has in Miami, or it isn't. Why does Saban need a sit-down with Mal Moore if it's already obvious that in order to have any chance at getting him the Tide will have to make him the highest-paid coach at any level of the sport?

I heard something on ESPN radio about this. They didn't say anything about dinner, only that he has expressed interest in the Alabama job. God, what if the Phins hired another lame-duck coach next season? It's so frustrating to a fan base to have perennially crappy coaching.... Funny to watch, though!

Saban and the Fins have strongly denied this rumor in the Miami press.

PFT is now reporting it as bogus...

SABAN REPORT BOGUS

As we suspected, the report that Fins coach Nick Saban was going to interview for the Alabama job Wednesday night was bogus.

A league source tells us that Saban was at the Dolphins facility until late last night and then headed home. After all, his team hosts the Patriots on Sunday at a time when one more loss likely will knock Miami completely out of any shot at the postseason.

Meanwhile, the clear front-runner for the Alabama job appears to be West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez. Reports on whether he has received an offer and whether he will accept it are all over the map. If his objective was to flirt with Alabama long enough to get the administration to pour money into the football facilities, then he has succeeded. On Wednesday, WVU announced plans to invest "millions" into the program.

And it sounds like maybe Rodriguez in the end might stick around. “Like I've said all along, I plan on finishing my career here," Rodriguez said Wednesday, according to the Charleston Gazette. "I've said that time and time again, and I mean it. That's what I want to do. But there also comes a point in your career where you have to at least listen to other offers."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes