Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pro Football Talk: Patriots Showcase Backup QBs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Zeus, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeus

Zeus PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0

2. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"After all, there are still some Patriots fans that prefer Drew Bledsoe to Brady. Sad but true."

Can't say i know a single one.
  3. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think Drew Bledsoe's parents would rather have him at QB.
  4. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0

Showcase Backup Quarterbacks. Definition: To play your backup quarterbacks, as expected, in an exhibition game...but have them look good.
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +420 / 5 / -1

I think it was hyperbole, but at the time of the trade, there were quite a few people who wanted to trade Brady. I admit at the time I thought Bledsoe was the better QB althought I felt Brady fit the system better. I always thought Bledsoe was the better QB to trade, but at the time I didn't think Brady would be as good as Bledsoe was. Boy, was I wrong.
  6. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Oh, Mack still would don't kid yourself. That was part of the problem.
  7. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

As I've said/thought all along. This pre-season is Hoyer's try-off for his next contract. The kid seems to have the right attitude and work ethic.

As his stock (hopefully) continues to rise, it will be interesting to see wha tthe media thinks his ceiling would be (though that doesn't mean it will be accurate, but should be a decent indicator that a pro team will be willing to give him a chance).

Also, I stopped scrolling once I saw Farve.
  8. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Perfect example of why I hate PFT. Once upon a time, Florio would post rumours that he heard. Nowadays the site just makes a guess at what *might* be going on (but, as Professor Patchick points out, there isn't the slightest reason to think actually is) and publishes it as a "rumor". If I want wild guesses that are right one time in a hundred I don't need PFT.
  9. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I don't see what someone could realistically offer us that would be more valuable than depth behind Brady. Often, it feels like this team would be S.O.L without Brady. Even for as good a QB as Cassel is now and was for us, losing Brady meant a team that had just gone 16-0 against a brutal schedule missed the playoffs against one of the easiest schedules in history.

But everything we've seen from Hoyer suggests the team would be in very capable hands were the unthinkable to happen again. Why would we trade away that insurance? Same goes for Mallett. There's room for more than one or two good QBs on this roster.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is an idiotic conjecture.. sometimes PFT gets it right, but most certainly not this time.

No showcasing going on. We will carry 3 QB's this year. Mallet is too raw to be a backup.
  11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The showcasing is for next off season...

Bill historically isn't much of a showcaser (or promoter). I think that is where his developmental trading chip theory struggles. It sure did for Cassel who was lambasted by fans and local mediots heading into his final pre season for doing what he was supposed to do rather than freelancing and finding a way to make a play... Lots of HC's or GM's will showcase at the position at the expense of developing some sort of consistency within their backup ranks, Bill won't. This year has just set up well for creating an early buzz on Hoyer. He and Mallett may not see much time in the next two weeks and then of course Mallett will get the lions share of duty in the dreaded 4th game where nobody on the field is assured of a roster spot and all the guys who are essentially sit. Neither one is going anywhere but to the sidelines charting Brady's games this season. If he's lucky Hoyer will see some mop up duty in season, but even that is not a given with Belichick (or Brady).
  12. GostkowSKI

GostkowSKI Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I talked to one in the Gillette Stadium parking lot prior to Week 1 of the 2005 season vs the Raiders. Keep in mind at this point the Pats were fresh off of winning 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls. He was saying how Bledsoe was a better fit for this team. I had to walk away after about 5 minutes.
  13. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

psycho

I think you are too hard on PFT.

The reality is development is concurrent with value. Value is driven by need. A developed NFL starting QB is the most important position in sports.
    I would refer to Mike Lombardi's post at NFL.com. He noted in his recent SF interview that he said he would trade for Hoyer.

The fundamental fact is any trade requires two sides anf you can never fully predict when the other side comes calling. If Seattle called today and offered a 1st, do you think they wouldn't pull the trigger?

It's always best to be lucky and luck is defined as when preparation meets opportunity.
  14. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Minor point: rather than just link to PFT itself, if you click on the title of the article, you can link to that specific page (that way, if someone comes to this, say, the next day, they can still find the article easily).
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

I liked the dolphin fans wondering why they didn't draft Mallett. :D
  16. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

Hehehe. Looks like the Pats got the steal of the draft. Although Ridley looked pretty darn impressive too so maybe they got 2 steals!

I think the way this is shaping up is that if Hoyer and Mallet continue to impress in the preseason then Hoyer will be on the block next year and likely fetch us a 2nd round pick ala Cassel or a 3rd rounder at worst. Then Mallet continues to develop and we draft another young guy to put in the pipeline in 2012. The cycle continues!
  17. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#3 Jersey

Probably just Drew...
  18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I prefer Bledsoe to Brady...if I'm looking for a winemaker. Then again, Brady hasn't yet tried his hand at that, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Disclaimer: Nothing against Drew. I liked him a lot and waffled back in '02 on whether the Pats should have traded him.
  19. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I think Hoyer is trade bait, he is in the last year of his contract. And remember we went with Hoyer as our backup in 2009 as an UDFA, with Brady coming back from knee surgery.

I'm not saying they should, would or will trady Hoyer, but I would not be surprised. He is better then several starters in the NFL. If I'm in the front office in Washington, San Francisco, Miami etc... I would at least pick up the phone and check on Hoyer.
  20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +474 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

What Mccolby said ... Mallet has more upside and Hoyer has yet to be exposed to game plans. His value may never be higher than it is right now. If it's a step up in value deal then it should be explored.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.