Pro Bowl selection assures that Peppers will be a FA

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Peppers Pro Bowl nod pushes up franchise number | ProFootballTalk.com

From PFT...

His Pro Bowl selection was worth $1.5 million. Add that to his $16.683 million base salary as the team's franchise player and his pay for the 2009 season is $18.183 million.

According to the Rock Hill Herald, the bonus means it would be even more expensive to retain Peppers as the team's franchise player in 2010. A 20% increase on his 2009 pay would now be a whopping $21.8196 million.

No Way the Panthers pay him 21.8 mil next year, that would be 20% of their entire cap for one guy. He sure would look good played OLB for the Pats next year.....

Andrew Brandt from the National Football Post discussed this the other day:

Peppers? deal may get even bigger | National Football Post

Even with no cap, that's a huge number for Peppers under the franchise tag. The big question is, what kind of long term deal would it take?

I really thought the BB was after him last year. He basically came out and told Peppers what he had to do for the Pats to make a play for him shrewdly I might add. In the beginning I thought Peppers made a huge mistake by staying in Carolina but looking at what he will get this year is mind boggling. With no cap next year he would probably be the only guy I would give huge money to besides Vince. Peppers and a passing rushing end or lb in the draft would take the defense to another level.

and the peppers watch continues

Just what we need, the second coming of Afailius.

I really thought the BB was after him last year. He basically came out and told Peppers what he had to do for the Pats to make a play for him shrewdly I might add. In the beginning I thought Peppers made a huge mistake by staying in Carolina but looking at what he will get this year is mind boggling. With no cap next year he would probably be the only guy I would give huge money to besides Vince. Peppers and a passing rushing end or lb in the draft would take the defense to another level.

This would have been a lot more feasible if the Pats hadn't made the playoffs.

If they don't reach the AFCCG, it's at least possible. If they do, the only way they can add Peppers is if they let Wilfork walk, and that doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me.

Just what we need, the second coming of Afailius.

I agree with you and besides....
..we are going to pay him 20 million?

This would have been a lot more feasible if the Pats hadn't made the playoffs.

If they don't reach the AFCCG, it's at least possible. If they do, the only way they can add Peppers is if they let Wilfork walk, and that doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me.

If they make it to the second round it becomes improbable. The final 8 teams in the playoffs are retsricted to signing FA's of equal value that they have lost.

I think we're going to need 3 caps to get everyone's binkies signed.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back