PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco picks Vollmer as one of his top 20 'Breakout Players' in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the Jets-Patriots playoff game (was on an airplane during the game and finally summoned up the courage to watch the loss to the Jets) and was very impressed with Edelman during the game. He always got more yardage than you had any right to expect.

Edelman is a dangerous punt returner, and a good WR! Especially for an ex-QB!

Maroney was excellent out of the gate, and it was durability that was his problem, so I have no idea what the hell you're talking about here. People here have been on BJGE's bandwagon from the beginning, and he was anything but an instant success.

Exactly, you never know if our players will go south (knock on wood). Maroney had 700's yard as a rookie, even myself thought that he would be a pro-bowler. Butler is another example so is Gerrard Warren. They had glimpse of greatness but never step up. If they work hard, they can become that, but that is completely up to them.

Edleman seemed to have regressed a bit, but he had some big time drops on passes from Brady (though how you catch some of those bullets Brady threw from 5-10 years is beyond me, but that's why they get paid the big bucks...)

Edleman didn't regressed, he just got away less snaps. Whenever Wes is not available he steps up big time. Yes he dropped a few passes, but it Wes dropped a lot more then him.

It's probably because he was a pretty poor receiver last year, being basically nothing more than Aikens running slightly deeper routes. Most people like their team's wide receivers to be, you know, good. If Tate is good this year, people will be much happier with him.

Bits of this are true, but the connection with Brady was not there towards the end of the year.

Against the Vikings, Tate showed exactly what a Patriots Receiver should be able to do. He followed Brady's eyes as he got in trouble, and got himself open and took it to the house.

And he done the same against the Jets in the 45-3.

But then at the end of the year, in the 3rd Jets game, Tate did get open 3 or 4 times in the game, Brady looked, then looked for Welker and Branch, his binkies.

The 3rd Jets game was a bit like the 1st Jets game. Instead of look for Moss or Welker, it was look for Branch or Welker. And if you have time, throw it to a Tightend.

I think Tate does have the potential to be a Maclin-type, or a Harvin if he was used out of the backfield, but that wont be needed now.

Or, he could be out of the league at the end of next season.

It's a key full 2nd year for Tate. And Price, if either of them are well improved in Camp, Branch should be looking over his shoulder.

Bits of this are true, but the connection with Brady was not there towards the end of the year.

It's all true, which is why the connection with Brady was not there at the end of the year. You only have to go back to Aiken/Galloway to see how Brady responds to crappy/struggling receivers nowadays.

Against the Vikings, Tate showed exactly what a Patriots Receiver should be able to do. He followed Brady's eyes as he got in trouble, and got himself open and took it to the house.

He had 1 catch for 4 yards against the Jets in the 45-3 game.

.I think Tate does have the potential to be a Maclin-type, or a Harvin if he was used out of the backfield, but that wont be needed now.

:bricks:

Last edited:
When Brady stops throwing to a WR as the season goes on, that says a lot more about the receiver than it does about Brady.

Edleman didn't regressed, he just got away less snaps. Whenever Wes is not available he steps up big time. Yes he dropped a few passes, but it Wes dropped a lot more then him.
True. Regress may have been a poor choice of words as he continues to develop into a WR. His play time did seem to drop significantly and I'm not 100% certain the cause of that. Welker's part of the equation, but didn't seem to be all of it.

And, he does fantastic work with the ball in space (and he just needs a step or two to create space). He did have some goal-line area drops from Brady and that sticks with me. Trust me, I'm rooting for the kid and like him as a player. he definitely deserves a roster spot at this time.

As for punt returns...I'd prefer to see him there to keep Welker in better shape and he may actually be needed for kick returns as the extra hang time/5 yards may require more punt return elusiveness than pure vision and breakaway speed (time will tell on that).

Pricko likes Vollmer to stand out on the OL this season

Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video

While I like Vollmer and is a good choice to shine this season,I would pick Brandon Tate as our surprise breakout player this year.

Who is YOUR surprising breakout player this year?.

Sebastian Vollmer, T, New England Patriots: He has emerged as the best tackle on the New England roster -- passing Matt Light -- and one of the better right tackles in the league. Now entrenched as a starter, he should be pushing for a Pro Bowl berth this season

Nice.

How would Vollmer be a 'surprise' player? He's one of our best OL already. I can't wait to see what a line of Solder-Mankins-Koppen-Cannon-Vollmer can do. They should absolutely crush people!

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure Vollmer was a second team All-Pro last season. At the very least the guy was dominant last season, playing everybit as well as Mankins. I wouldn't consider that candidacy for a "breakout". The guy brokeout when Light went down in '09 and Vollmer took Freeny's lunch money.

On receivers, I don't think that Tate has the shiftiness or acceleration to blossom as a receiver. He's got great long speed but he doesn't have terrific burst. Part of Brady's frustration with him very well could be because Tate simply doesn't have the ability to break well or separate. Of course, this could be countered with strength but Tate ain't no Boldin. He also could still be recovering from his injuries and destroy next season, but I'd be shocked if this were the case. Price strikes me as having much better receiver type attributes. He seems strong and a very nice blend of speed and acceleration. He looks to be a bit better suited to playing off the line, but with Branch still here I would expect to see him at the x.

I'm expecting big things from Cunningham, fwiw. All those almost sacks last year should become better pressures with improved hand technique and comfort with rushing from the 2pt.

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure Vollmer was a second team All-Pro last season. At the very least the guy was dominant last season, playing everybit as well as Mankins. I wouldn't consider that candidacy for a "breakout". The guy brokeout when Light went down in '09 and Vollmer took Freeny's lunch money.

On receivers, I don't think that Tate has the shiftiness or acceleration to blossom as a receiver. He's got great long speed but he doesn't have terrific burst. Part of Brady's frustration with him very well could be because Tate simply doesn't have the ability to break well or separate. Of course, this could be countered with strength but Tate ain't no Boldin. He also could still be recovering from his injuries and destroy next season, but I'd be shocked if this were the case. Price strikes me as having much better receiver type attributes. He seems strong and a very nice blend of speed and acceleration. He looks to be a bit better suited to playing off the line, but with Branch still here I would expect to see him at the x.

I'm expecting big things from Cunningham, fwiw. All those almost sacks last year should become better pressures with improved hand technique and comfort with rushing from the 2pt.

You are correct. I thought the same thing when I read the article. Its possible that the author meant that Vollmer would go from a second team All Pro to a first team All Pro.

I don't know if you can classify Vollmer as a breakout player considering he was pretty solid last year. If I was betting on a breakout player on the Pats, I would put my money on Cunningham. The guy showed flashes of brilliance last year and OLB in the 3-4 is one of the toughest positions to pick up (it took McGinest over a year).

It's all true, which is why the connection with Brady was not there at the end of the year. You only have to go back to Aiken/Galloway to see how Brady responds to crappy/struggling receivers nowadays.

He had 1 catch for 4 yards against the Jets in the 45-3 game.

:bricks:

In your moronic reaction, you choose not to read.

Tate's 1 catch was a Touchdown where he was along the back of the endzone, everyone else was covered, Brady left the pocket and Tate got himself open for the TD. That's intelligence.

He was in his rookie season in reality, and unlike Welker and Branch, is attending the Hoyer/Mayo workouts.

Tate is a great athele but he lacks the hands to make him a star. He is fast, seems to create space but he droped passes and didn't put himself in the right position to catch some passes last year. Price in my mind has more of an opportunity to become a breakout player.

I agree, I think when it's all said and done, Price will end up being the better player. Both have questionable hands right now, but Price is bigger and when he did get in there, he showed that he could separate and make plays.

Tate isn't physical, he's on the smaller side and his hands can be suspect. His KO returns, although stellar at the start of the year, really tailed off over the last 9-10 games. Many times he stutter-stepped his way to a blow up at the 18-20 yard line. His vision and explosiveness went downhill on KR for some reason as the season progressed, hopefully he can get that fixed, because he did show the ability to hit a seam and explode early on.

I actually see Brandon moving inside to the slot where he seems to be better suited (smallish size and quickness). Price is more of a natural fit on the outside(bigger, more physical) and in the end that's where we may see these two ending up.

In your moronic reaction, you choose not to read.

Tate's 1 catch was a Touchdown where he was along the back of the endzone, everyone else was covered, Brady left the pocket and Tate got himself open for the TD. That's intelligence.

He was in his rookie season in reality, and unlike Welker and Branch, is attending the Hoyer/Mayo workouts.

I read your post. It was idiotic of you to call a 4 yard reception "got himself open and took it to the house", so trying to spin this against me is just pathetic on your part. Then again, your entire argument was ludicrous, so the Jets reference was really just par for the course.

And the guy wasn't in his rookie season. He was in his second season. This will be his third season. I was one of the people defending BB when the Patriots picked Tate, and I've still got no problem with the pick. I also think it's possible that Tate will work his way into a decent NFL receiver. However, he's done little to show that ability so far in his career.

Also, I really don't give a rat's ass what workouts he's attending.

I don't know if you can classify Vollmer as a breakout player considering he was pretty solid last year. If I was betting on a breakout player on the Pats, I would put my money on Cunningham. The guy showed flashes of brilliance last year and OLB in the 3-4 is one of the toughest positions to pick up (it took McGinest over a year).

He was better than solid...no way can you consider him a breakout player for next year.

I read your post. It was idiotic of you to call a 4 yard reception "got himself open and took it to the house", so trying to spin this against me is just pathetic on your part. Then again, your entire argument was ludicrous, so the Jets reference was really just par for the course.

And the guy wasn't in his rookie season. He was in his second season. This will be his third season. I was one of the people defending BB when the Patriots picked Tate, and I've still got no problem with the pick. I also think it's possible that Tate will work his way into a decent NFL receiver. However, he's done little to show that ability so far in his career.

Year 1 - 1 game, vs Tampa Bay, where he done his bit on the endaround, and then got deep and open, but Brady underthrew him. The Miami game, he lasted a quarter, if that before blowing his leg again.

As for "getting open and taking it to the house" - That referred to the Vikes game.

The Jets game he got open while being followed by Cromartie all around the endzone and was there in time for Brady when his favourite friends weren't open.

As a 3rd or 4th Receiver, there aren't many teams that would turn down Tate.

Year 1 - 1 game, vs Tampa Bay, where he done his bit on the endaround, and then got deep and open, but Brady underthrew him. The Miami game, he lasted a quarter, if that before blowing his leg again.

I know what happened to the guy. He's still in his 3rd year. By the way, go back and do a search of all my posts with the name "Tate" in it. You'll find that I'm not asking for the guy to be cut, or anything like that. I defended the pick, and I'm more than happy with him still having opportunities to show he can get the job done. I just want an upgrade at the position, which would let Tate rise or fall without it significantly damaging the team.

As for "getting open and taking it to the house" - That referred to the Vikes game.

The Jets game he got open while being followed by Cromartie all around the endzone and was there in time for Brady when his favourite friends weren't open.

Your quote in that post:

The problem wasn't my response, it was your poorly worded post. Instead of dropping the insult on me, you should have explained your position, because your phrasing was horrendous.

As a 3rd or 4th Receiver, there aren't many teams that would turn down Tate.

Based on the numbers, he was the worst WR3 in his own division last year, which was not exactly a receiver Mecca, so I'm not going to bother looking throughout the entire league. I'll just say that I believe you're wildly overvaluing what Tate was last year.

Last edited:
I'm with you Deus.Tate didn't look very promising tbh.

He doesn't look all that fast and his hands are questionable.

Last edited:

Roger_Zelazny_Phillip_K._Dick_Deus_Irae.png

Let me guess which author you are :rofl: :rofl:

like outhers have said Vollmer has been one of the if not the best RT's in the NFL i dont see where he can breakout to, i pick Jermaine Cunningham as my breakout player this year i can see him haveing 80 tackels 8 sacks and 2 INT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down