PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco counters NFLN Top 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
While I think Prisco is an angry guy in general nowadays and he was never very keen on us...and paid the price, he does have a point. Player voting has become as silly as fan votes for the pro bowl. Too much perception and popularity and too little reality and production.

Prisco has 5 Pats in his top 100 plus one just outside it with honorable mention. Brady (2), Gronkowski (10), Wilfork (30), Welker (42), and Mankins (87) with Hernandez atop his list of ten Honorable Mentions just outside his 100. He doesn't include players he knows are out for most or all of the season like Suggs and Peters. He has Tebow as 705 and no mention of Sanchez...Vick or Ray or lots of players who have already or will yet appear on the NFLN list. He has more LB than any position but mostly OLB. Doesn't seem to be a Mayo fan.

Top 100 NFL players: No influence here, other than scouts, film - NFL - CBSSports.com

I wasn't going to click on the link because, well, it's Prisco. But you convinced and I have to say this is surprisingly well thought out. (I even expected him to put "Peyton" in the top 10, but he's at 33, which I think is fair for now. Though Freeney at 34 seems a reach). Thanks.

Yeah, I thought there were a few somewhat tortured reaches as far as inclusions and ranking. But that's human nature. King tweeted his handful of disagreements.

Peter King‏@SI_PeterKing

Re the Prisco list, I'd replace Bowe, MTurner, CGamble and LMankins w/Jordy Nelson, Kam Chancellor, Nnamdi and D'Qwell Jackson.

The usual lack of clarity about these lists. Best 100 according to their careers? For last season? Projected for this coming season?? It makes a huge difference.

In any case, how to hell is Eli Manning ranked 15 while Peyton is ranked 34?? Unless this is based on last season's performance or lack thereof.

How can a writer spend all this time on something like this without even telling us what the damn list represents. It should be based on a player's history to date, but how can that be if Peyton is 34. So what is it based on? You tell me.

...So what is it based on? You tell me.

It's based on having deadlines and needing articles. It's nothing more than that. As usually happens with these things, the arguments are completely inconsistent.

It's based on having deadlines and needing articles. It's nothing more than that. As usually happens with these things, the arguments are completely inconsistent.

I guess he's saying "Peyton, I'm bringing you down 32 notches, because you missed a whole year due to injury, and upping your bro because he won the
Supe." Brilliant analysis. He might as well be given a list of 100 important NFL players and draw their names from a hat.

yeah it's obviously a mix of prognostication and power rankings that really has no consistency

... So what is it based on? You tell me.

From the article:

This is a list based on actual football evaluation heading into the 2012 season

Seems like a fair starting point. From there it's all subjective and arguable — which is why folks do these lists.

As for Peyton Manning, I find #33 a reasonable ranking for the 2012 pre-season. He's 36, missed a year and is coming off major surgery. Now, once the game starts he could be the #18 of old and at this time next year be second only to TFB in these rankings. :) Or we could be talking about what a warrior he's been and how, despite his best efforts, time and the game have taken their toll.

As an aside, it's great how football has become a subject of year-round discussion.

From the article:

Seems like a fair starting point. From there it's all subjective and arguable — which is why folks do these lists.

As for Peyton Manning, I find #33 a reasonable ranking for the 2012 pre-season. He's 36, missed a year and is coming off major surgery. Now, once the game starts he could be the #18 of old and at this time next year be second only to TFB in these rankings. :) Or we could be talking about what a warrior he's been and how, despite his best efforts, time and the game have taken their toll.

As an aside, it's great how football has become a subject of year-round discussion.

Regarding Manning: you can't go grading guys up or down based upon last year, and then just make up a spot for a guy who missed the entire year. Saying "I couldn't find a way to fairly or honestly rank Manning, and I had to keep him off the list, because of his lost year" would have been appropriate. Ranking him anywhere on the list makes the list a joke.

Regarding Manning: you can't go grading guys up or down based upon last year, and then just make up a spot for a guy who missed the entire year. Saying "I couldn't find a way to fairly or honestly rank Manning, and I had to keep him off the list, because of his lost year" would have been appropriate. Ranking him anywhere on the list makes the list a joke.

It's not just "ranked on last year."

Nope, this is my list. It's based on eyes (mine), ears (listening to scouts) and hours of watching tape.....If you're looking for conventional lists, look elsewhere.

It's his projection for 2012 for which most here agree that having Peyton #33 is very reasonable.

It's not just "ranked on last year."

It's his projection for 2012 for which most here agree that having Peyton #33 is very reasonable.

2 years ago, Brady became the first unanimous MVP in league history. Last year, in a year where Brady still put up historic numbers, Rodgers won the MVP. If it's about last year, Rodgers is above Brady. If it's about more than last year, Rodgers isn't even the #2 QB, because he'd be behind Brees as well as Brady.

Also, if it's not about last year, there's no way that Nicks and Evans grade out that much higher than Mankins. And, by no way, I mean no way in hell.

Last edited:
Prisco's list is "about" 2012.

And, it's Prisco; so it won't always make sense.

Last edited:
Why do you read Prisco?

No Seriously. Are you ******ed or something?

I stopped reading him when he had Belichick passing on a long Field Goal and going for a TD. I watched the game. Vinatieri was good but 4 point FGs are beyond even him.

That was when he was telling us how Peyton Manning is soooo much better than Brady. Screw him.

So why are you pimping his crappy opinions when he is clearly a hack? Are you ******ed or worthy of scorn?

It seems like a reasonable list. There's nothing outrageous in Prisco's contribution that leads me to believe it's inconsistent. It's his opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

He has some guys who are up after what he suggests are disappointing years or down after what he suggests were surprisingly good years. So this list was, at best, rushed.

But how long do you think he spent on each player, on average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back