PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco calling Belichick's move of Seymour as Vindictive and Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard is all about the money and he wasn't gonna get it from the Pats. Al will give a great big fat contract next year and Richard will be happy. With three rings, its all about the money, just no pressure and collect a fat paycheck. What's wrong with that. Like Bill says you can't fall in love with a player.

What's wrong is that we have lost an all-pro player from our 2009 team so that we can have a 2011 draft choice. If the 2011 first was so important, the team could trade one of the three 2010 seconds for a 2011 first.

Belichick is taking a huge risk in 2009 to help the 2011 and 2012 teams.

Richard is all about the money and he wasn't gonna get it from the Pats. Al will give a great big fat contract next year and Richard will be happy. With three rings, its all about the money, just no pressure and collect a fat paycheck. What's wrong with that. Like Bill says you can't fall in love with a player.

With what Weird Ai Davisovich is paying Russell and the CB,whose name I can't spell,he'll have a hard time meeting Big Sey's demands next year.

He missed 8 games one year, but has averaged 15 every other year. Thats not injury prone. Thats a guy who got hurt.

Yup, Seymour is less injury-prone than Tom Brady :p

Probably because the Raiders offered the most for him, if I had to guess. Most teams won't give up a first rounder for a player in a contract year.
does anyone know for a fact that pats were shopping seymour or the raiders called after their putrid run defense and asked for seymour ? everyone in the league knows which players are in the contract yrs and these are typical. thats how hobbs got traded if i remember correectly. Andy reid called BB after he drafted all these DB's and asked for hobbs. i guess Al davis did the same and made an offer which was too good to pass up .

Take that, Seymour - CBSSports.com

I think Prisco is an idiot but I do wonder why the Raiders? - If there is not another team in the league other than the Raiders willing to offer the same or even more for #93 then I would be shocked that there wasn't any.

Funny thing is that Richard is strictly an NFL DE in a 3-4 defense,Oakland is a 4-3 team - All the other AFC West teams EXCEPT Oakland all run a 3-4 so if someone had told me Seymour was going to the AFC West the Raiders would have been the longest longshot of all 4.

Seymour could easily go in and play a 4-3 DT position and be one of the best. He'll also have some pretty good players around him in Morrison, Howard, Ellis, and Kelly.. Not to mention Nhamdi...

I think it was a great move by Belichick in that it makes it more likely that none of those teams will be very strong to go into the play-offs..

MG - Let me preface this by saying I have been a huge Seymour fan. Seymour's jersey was the 2nd one that I got.. Brady's was the last one. Big Sey was an integral part of this team and he's got 3 rings millions of dollars to support that.

That being said, lets look at reality. Seymour hasn't played at an ALL-PRO level since the end of 2005. Yes, he seemed to rebound last year, but he still wasn't at an All-Pro level. So he's a former All-Pro.

BB did more than just trade so the "Pats can have a 2011 draft choice." The Pats took what would have been a 3rd round comp pick in 2011 and traded it and 1 year without Seymour for a 2001 1st round pick that is likely to be in the top 15, if not the top 10. That's 2-2.5 rounds of improvement in all likelihood. Not only that, but BB eliminated any possibility of there being distractions caused by any negotiations or lack there of on a contract extension for Seymour. We know that the last contract extension talks didn't go well and it led to Seymour holding out.. But we don't know what other distractions it caused in the lockerroom. And BB may have been pro-active in handling that. Particularly if they had any preliminary talks and Seymour's demands were outrageous.

Also, I think that BB looked at how the 4-3 Jumbo played and didn't like it. For whatever reason. Is he taking a risk??? Yes. How big of one we don't know. I mean, technically, going to the 4-3 as their base is a risk since they had built the team around the 3-4 for many many years.. So, is it much more risk?

Also, there was a lot of people who noted how impressed they were with the play of youngsters like Brace and Pryor. BB probably figured that he's better served giving them the reps at DT and someone else reps (Green/Wright/Ninkovich/Burgess/etc, etc) at DE than he was giving the reps to a player who was probably going to be gone at the end of the season.

In the end, BB clearly felt that the Pros outweight the Cons. Could he be wrong? Sure. He's human. But his history speaks for himself.

What's wrong is that we have lost an all-pro player from our 2009 team so that we can have a 2011 draft choice. If the 2011 first was so important, the team could trade one of the three 2010 seconds for a 2011 first.

Belichick is taking a huge risk in 2009 to help the 2011 and 2012 teams.

does anyone know for a fact that pats were shopping seymour or the raiders called after their putrid run defense and asked for seymour ? everyone in the league knows which players are in the contract yrs and these are typical. thats how hobbs got traded if i remember correectly. Andy reid called BB after he drafted all these DB's and asked for hobbs. i guess Al davis did the same and made an offer which was too good to pass up .

Reid was on the phone to BB during the 1st round (if I remember correctly) about Hobbs because Reid knew that the Pats had drafted Wilhite and Wheatley last year and added Bodden and Springs this year. Plus, there were the rumors flying that the Pats had Butler targeted..

And no, we don't know if the Pats were shopping Seymour or if the Raiders called the Pats. It would be interesting to find out which it was..

With what Weird Ai Davisovich is paying Russell and the CB,whose name I can't spell,he'll have a hard time meeting Big Sey's demands next year.

I think its going to be very easy for Big Al to splurge on Seymour next year with the season, most likely, being uncapped.

Reid was on the phone to BB during the 1st round (if I remember correctly) about Hobbs because Reid knew that the Pats had drafted Wilhite and Wheatley last year and added Bodden and Springs this year. Plus, there were the rumors flying that the Pats had Butler targeted..

And no, we don't know if the Pats were shopping Seymour or if the Raiders called the Pats. It would be interesting to find out which it was..
what imean to say is that one can speculate 'vindictivness' or somethinglike BB asking seymour for a pay cut or seymour asking an extension which caused BB to do this. its may or maynot be the same situation as milloy
bb got the best offer he could and didnt refuse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2009 extension. But yes, I expect the raiders to sign Seymour long-term.

I think its going to be very easy for Big Al to splurge on Seymour next year with the season, most likely, being uncapped.

MG - Let me preface this by saying I have been a huge Seymour fan. Seymour's jersey was the 2nd one that I got.. Brady's was the last one. Big Sey was an integral part of this team and he's got 3 rings millions of dollars to support that.

That being said, lets look at reality. Seymour hasn't played at an ALL-PRO level since the end of 2005. Yes, he seemed to rebound last year, but he still wasn't at an All-Pro level. So he's a former All-Pro.

BB did more than just trade so the "Pats can have a 2011 draft choice." The Pats took what would have been a 3rd round comp pick in 2011 and traded it and 1 year without Seymour for a 2001 1st round pick that is likely to be in the top 15, if not the top 10. That's 2-2.5 rounds of improvement in all likelihood. Not only that, but BB eliminated any possibility of there being distractions caused by any negotiations or lack there of on a contract extension for Seymour. We know that the last contract extension talks didn't go well and it led to Seymour holding out.. But we don't know what other distractions it caused in the lockerroom. And BB may have been pro-active in handling that. Particularly if they had any preliminary talks and Seymour's demands were outrageous.

Also, I think that BB looked at how the 4-3 Jumbo played and didn't like it. For whatever reason. Is he taking a risk??? Yes. How big of one we don't know. I mean, technically, going to the 4-3 as their base is a risk since they had built the team around the 3-4 for many many years.. So, is it much more risk?

Also, there was a lot of people who noted how impressed they were with the play of youngsters like Brace and Pryor. BB probably figured that he's better served giving them the reps at DT and someone else reps (Green/Wright/Ninkovich/Burgess/etc, etc) at DE than he was giving the reps to a player who was probably going to be gone at the end of the season.

In the end, BB clearly felt that the Pros outweight the Cons. Could he be wrong? Sure. He's human. But his history speaks for himself.

:agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back